Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Would like to check user input for letters within a loop Post 303027173 by jvezinat on Monday 10th of December 2018 11:21:09 AM
Old 12-10-2018
Hi,

Thank you for explaining that to me. The currently working script is as follows:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
win=no
echo "Please pick a number"
read number
while [ $win = no ]; do
if [ -z $number ]; then
echo "Please input a number"
win=no
read number
elif [[ "$number" == +([0-9]) ]]; then
echo "That is a number, Good Job!"
win=yes
elif [[ $number == +([[:alnum:]]) ]]; then
echo "That is not a number"
win=no
echo "Please input a number"
read number
fi
done

Thanks again for the help!

Last edited by vgersh99; 12-10-2018 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: Code tags, please!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read user input from within a wile loop that is being fed from below

hi! i need to do a ksh script that uses a wile loop that is fed form below while read line do some things done < myfile inside the while loop i need to read user input to ask the user what he wants to do, but "read" reads the file, and not the standard input while read line do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: broli
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop until user input is correct

Hello, i know how to retrieve a user input (read), and how to manage the different options (case statement). But... could anybody show me a script that, if the user option is incorrect, don't allow to continue the excution, i.e., if the value entered is not 1 or 2, the script shows a question. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aristegui
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to check the user input from terminal

Hello everybody!!! I am writing my own rm command in unix. I prompt the user to type if he wants to delete a file and then read what he typed. But how do i check what he typed? This is my program so far: echo 'Delete prog1.c (y/n)?' read yesOrNo if yesOrNo == 'y' then rm prog1.c... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskart
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting user input from inside a while loop?

I'm new to BASH and i'm trying to create a script which is simply put a large find and replace file. This is what I have so far N=0 while read LINE ; do N=$((N+1)) sed 's/'$2'/'$3'/g' $LINE > .temp echo "Changes to file $N = $LINE" echo 'The following changes... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azumandious
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching user input to a text file loop?

until do read -p "Invalid cars. Try againa" cars1 done Ok i have the above code, im getting users input and if it doesnt match in the file the user has to try again untill its correct But when i run this it gives me an error saying ./Cars.bash: line 43: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gangsta
2 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Function to Check if string input from user is alphabetic only

Good Evening. I'm new to C. Can you please help me. I'm creating an error checking function, user will input a string, this will check if the input is all alphabet or all letters only. If there is a digit or other special char, it will print Error then ask input from user again. Here's my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eracav
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check user input

Hi, I need my script to check if the user enters 3 values if not 5 values to my script and alert if the input has any other number of values. for example: ./myscript.sh 22 56 3221 - > correct ./myscript.sh 22 56 3221 45 777 -> correct ./myscript.sh 22 56 3221 45 -> incorrect Please... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop breaks on yes/no user input

I have a shell script, and its pretty much done, I decided to add a loop that ends or continues depending on user input. like "would you like to continue?" and if I hit y or yes it will run the loop again until I hit n or no and breaks out of the loop. To be hones I didn't think I needed to add... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Demon_Jester
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How-To Check & Filter user input

Hi, On my Java webpage which invokes the shell script has two checkboxes viz ... apache and weblogic apache require one parameter i.e apache home from the user while Weblogic requires three or five params from the user vi.z weblogic_home or <jdk_home, config_home & pid>, username and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check the user input to be valid using shell script?

How to check the user input to be valid using shell script? The valid input is in the format like as follows. 1. It can only have r,w,x or a hyphen and nothing else. 2. ensure the r, w, x are in the correct order. for example: rwxr-xr-x is a valid format. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hyeewang
5 Replies
SYSTEM(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SYSTEM(3)

NAME
system - execute a shell command SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> int system(const char *command); DESCRIPTION
system() executes a command specified in command by calling /bin/sh -c command, and returns after the command has been completed. During execution of the command, SIGCHLD will be blocked, and SIGINT and SIGQUIT will be ignored. RETURN VALUE
The value returned is -1 on error (e.g. fork(2) failed), and the return status of the command otherwise. This latter return status is in the format specified in wait(2). Thus, the exit code of the command will be WEXITSTATUS(status). In case /bin/sh could not be executed, the exit status will be that of a command that does exit(127). If the value of command is NULL, system() returns nonzero if the shell is available, and zero if not. system() does not affect the wait status of any other children. CONFORMING TO
C89, C99, POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
If the _XOPEN_SOURCE feature test macro is defined, then the macros described in wait(2) (WEXITSTATUS(), etc.) are made available when including <stdlib.h>. As mentioned, system() ignores SIGINT and SIGQUIT. This may make programs that call it from a loop uninterruptible, unless they take care themselves to check the exit status of the child. E.g. while (something) { int ret = system("foo"); if (WIFSIGNALED(ret) && (WTERMSIG(ret) == SIGINT || WTERMSIG(ret) == SIGQUIT)) break; } Do not use system() from a program with set-user-ID or set-group-ID privileges, because strange values for some environment variables might be used to subvert system integrity. Use the exec(3) family of functions instead, but not execlp(3) or execvp(3). system() will not, in fact, work properly from programs with set-user-ID or set-group-ID privileges on systems on which /bin/sh is bash version 2, since bash 2 drops privileges on startup. (Debian uses a modified bash which does not do this when invoked as sh.) In versions of glibc before 2.1.3, the check for the availability of /bin/sh was not actually performed if command was NULL; instead it was always assumed to be available, and system() always returned 1 in this case. Since glibc 2.1.3, this check is performed because, even though POSIX.1-2001 requires a conforming implementation to provide a shell, that shell may not be available or executable if the calling program has previously called chroot(2) (which is not specified by POSIX.1-2001). It is possible for the shell command to return 127, so that code is not a sure indication that the execve(2) call failed. SEE ALSO
sh(1), signal(2), wait(2), exec(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2004-12-20 SYSTEM(3)