Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Need a Bash script for iterating thru an array and running a command Post 303026984 by Corona688 on Thursday 6th of December 2018 10:24:40 AM
Old 12-06-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRao19056
Thanks for the response!. The approach without using the array is very helpful. What would be the change if the delimiter is not spaces
The shell has a special variable you can set, IFS, to change its internal delimiter. It is not any sort of regex, only a list of characters which are valid "splitters". By default it is space, newline, and tab. It's only used for variable quoting purposes and some builtins like read. So:

Code:
OLDIFS="$IFS" ; IFS=","
VAR="1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10"
for X in $VAR
do
        echo $X
done

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running function or command concurrently in a bash script

I currently run a script over a vpnc tunnel to back-up my data to a remote server. However for a number of reasons the tunnel often collapses. If I manually restore the tunnel then the whole thing can continue, but I want to add into my script a section whereby while the transfer is taking place,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dj_bridges
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

running bash command inside awk

Org file 192.168.1.10 d:\adir\xdir 192.168.1.11 d:\bdir\ydir want to covert it into robocopy \\192.168.1.10\d$\adir\xdir\log* some_localdir\adir robocopy \\192.168.1.10\d$\adir\ydir\log* some_localdir\bbdir (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ydk
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash Script: Issue with iterating Directory and store into array

Hi all, I am working on a backup based script, in which it enters to a directory and check the sub-directories and copy the names into an array. cd $CPFs k=0 for i in * do if then ARRs="$i" k=$(($k+1)) #echo "$i" ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: canishk
19 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running set options from the command line and bash command

I'm reading about debugging aids in bash and have come across the set command. It says in my little book that an addition to typing set you can also use them "on the command line when running a script..." and it lists this in a small table: set -o option Command Line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Command To Delete Number from Array

Hi, I am writing a script to split a log file - the log could contain multiple days worth of logs. The second line of the log contains the string "Version ". In my test log which comprises of two days worth of logs, this string appears twice - once each day. Essentially I would like to split... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmurray21
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script Iterating Question

I am trying to look through one of my directories to remove certain files. I am pretty new to Unix and bash so I just need a little help in starting this. I know I would have to write two loops one to iterate the directories and one to iterate the files. How would I write the loops? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: totoro125
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question on iterating array elements

Hi, I am trying to do something similar to the for loop example from KSH For Loop Array: Iterate Through Array Values $: cat y.ksh #!/bin/ksh # set array called nameservers set -A nameservers 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.5 202.54.1.5 # print all name servers for i in ${nameservers} do ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Array problem in Bash Script

I am trying to write a Bash Script using a couple of arrays. I need to perform a countdown of sorts on an array done once daily, but each day would start with the numbers from the previous day. This is what I'm starting with : #!/bin/bash days=(9 8 7 6 5) for (( i = 0 ; i < ${#days} ; i++... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cogiz
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array compare bash script

Hello, i have a script that should compare between ${ARRAY} that contains all fstab record like this : >>echo ${ARRAY} / /boot between all mountpoints in my df that is stord in ${ARRAY2} >>echo ${ARRAY2} / /boot /dev/shm /var/spool/asterisk/monitor now i have this loop: for i in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: batchenr
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem running plsql using printf command on bash shell

I am running plsql using printf on a shell, but i am getting some strange error, can someone point what exactly am i missing, $ echo $SHELL /bin/bash $ printf " > SET serveroutput ON trimspool on feed off echo off > declare > p_val number; > d_val varchar2(10); > begin > SELECT... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kamauv234
1 Replies
GIT-VAR(1)                                                          Git Manual                                                          GIT-VAR(1)

NAME
git-var - Show a Git logical variable SYNOPSIS
git var ( -l | <variable> ) DESCRIPTION
Prints a Git logical variable. OPTIONS
-l Cause the logical variables to be listed. In addition, all the variables of the Git configuration file .git/config are listed as well. (However, the configuration variables listing functionality is deprecated in favor of git config -l.) EXAMPLE
$ git var GIT_AUTHOR_IDENT Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm@lnxi.com> 1121223278 -0600 VARIABLES
GIT_AUTHOR_IDENT The author of a piece of code. GIT_COMMITTER_IDENT The person who put a piece of code into Git. GIT_EDITOR Text editor for use by Git commands. The value is meant to be interpreted by the shell when it is used. Examples: ~/bin/vi, $SOME_ENVIRONMENT_VARIABLE, "C:Program FilesVimgvim.exe" --nofork. The order of preference is the $GIT_EDITOR environment variable, then core.editor configuration, then $VISUAL, then $EDITOR, and then the default chosen at compile time, which is usually vi. GIT_PAGER Text viewer for use by Git commands (e.g., less). The value is meant to be interpreted by the shell. The order of preference is the $GIT_PAGER environment variable, then core.pager configuration, then $PAGER, and then the default chosen at compile time (usually less). SEE ALSO
git-commit-tree(1) git-tag(1) git-config(1) GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-VAR(1)