Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Trouble removing Physical Disk from Volume Group Post 303026981 by rbatte1 on Thursday 6th of December 2018 08:29:35 AM
Old 12-06-2018
First, before anything else, backup your data and make sure it is recoverable in a usable way.
Two tested copies at least.

Looking at this part ....
Code:
#  lspv -l hdisk1
hdisk1:
LV NAME               LPs     PPs     DISTRIBUTION          MOUNT POINT
clodba                719     719     40..223..222..223..11 N/A
# lspv -l hdisk2
hdisk2:
LV NAME               LPs     PPs     DISTRIBUTION          MOUNT POINT
clodba                720     721     00..144..223..223..131 N/A

.... suggests the logical volume is mirrored (as suggested) but you must have (at least) one LP that map to PPs that are both on hdisk2. That's a bit of a problem to the point that it's probably not worth mirroring. Lose hdisk2 and you lose logical volume integrity, the filesystem and data. It may be recoverable as far as the filesystem goes, but the data loss is unpredictable.

You may be able to turn on relocation with a chlv or a chvg -b ....command and force the re-sync. What does the full output of lslv -m clodba give you? Sadly it will be quite long given the number of LPs. You will probably see that copy 1 is entirely on hdisk1 except for one PP. You might manage to force the removal of the PPs from hdisk1 with rmlvcopy clodba 1 hdisk1 and if that works, you will have hdisk1 empty (check lspv -l hdisk1) and hdisk2 should be reduced to just 720 PPs in use.

For the future I would consider setting the volume group mirror pool strictness (is that the -M flag?) to force PPs for each LP to be on separate PVs and even to keep LV copies from being mixed across volumes. Personally, I'm more anorak than that and force the creation/extention to use the PPs I set, but that's just me.

Does that help?
Robin
This User Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Having problems with removing a volume group..

Dear all, I would be very grateful if you could help me with removing the volume group.. The case is that, I was trying to create a volume group with 4 disk eligible, but the system has hang .. Maybe because the disks that I was trying to include into the new volume group were of too large size... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dilshik
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

physical volume and physical disk.

Hello, I need explanations about physical disks and physical volumes. What is the difference between these 2 things? In fact, i am trying to understand what the AIX lspv2command does. Thank you in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VeroL
2 Replies

3. AIX

Volume Group disk dead

AIX 4.3.3, 3 drive mirrored stripe. I can't replace the failed drive for at least a week and the VG is down hard. Any way to recover the VG using the mirror copy? Something like this: break the mirror redefine the VG with the mirrored hdisks replace the drive remirror using the original VG... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mlcboy01
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Unmount and remove all Logical vol.Volume group and physical disk

Hi, Someone please help me with how i can unmount and remove all the files systems from a cluster. This is being shared by two servers that are active_standby. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joeli
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion Regarding Physical Volume,Volume Group,Logical Volume,Physical partition

Hi, I am new to unix. I am working on Red Hat Linux and side by side on AIX also. After reading the concepts of Storage, I am now really confused regarding the terminologies 1)Physical Volume 2)Volume Group 3)Logical Volume 4)Physical Partition Please help me to understand these concepts. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifsd17
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to create an for loop for adding an disk in veritas volume group.

Hi Experts I need an script to add an disk in to the veritas volume manager disk group. For example: # cd /tmp # view disk c6t5d2 c6t2d1 c6t3d7 c6t11d2 c7t11d2 c6t11d6 Normally we add the disk like this: # vxdg -g freedg freedisk01=c6t5d2 # vxdg -g freedg freedisk02=c6t2d1 #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indrajit_preet
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Removing LVM Volume Group that doesn't exist anymore

Our SAN administrator decided to unpresent then destroy LUN's we were actively using as a volume group (all PV's in said volume group). Now every time I do a pvscan or whatever it complains about I/O errors trying to access those PV's. How do I get it to forget the VG existed completely? vgreduce... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
7 Replies

8. Linux

Logical Volume to physical disk mapping

When installing Linux, I choose some default setting to use all the disk space. My server has a single internal 250Gb SCSI disk. By default the install appears to have created 3 logical volumes lv_root, lv_home and lv_swap. fdisk -l shows the following lab3.nms:/dev>fdisk -l Disk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
2 Replies

9. HP-UX

Removing a VxVM disk from a Disk Group

Hello all, So I made a rookie mistake today. I forgot to remove my disk from my disk group, before running the following command:for i in `ioscan -fnN | awk /NO/'{print $3}'` do rmsf -H $i done I am trying to run the following command, but not having any luck obviously:vxdg -g dgvol1 rmdisk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrkejames2
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Exporting physical disk to ldom or ZFS volume

Generally, this is what we do:- On primary, export 2 LUNs (add-vdsdev). On primary, assign these disks to the ldom in question (add-vdisk). On ldom, created mirrored zpool from these two disks. On one server (which is older) we have:- On primary, create mirrored zpool from the two LUNs.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
4 Replies
vxdestroy_lvmroot(1M)													     vxdestroy_lvmroot(1M)

NAME
vxdestroy_lvmroot - remove LVM root disk and associated LVM volume group SYNOPSIS
vxdestroy_lvmroot [-v] [-b] lvm_root_disk DESCRIPTION
The vxdestroy_lvmroot command tears down and removes the LVM volume group associated with the specified physical disk. This is done by removing the volumes in the volume group and then removing the volume group. OPTIONS
-b Invokes the setboot command to change the primary boot disk to the VxVM root disk from which the system was booted (if the pri- mary boot disk is not already set to this disk). The alternate boot device remains unchanged. If the -v option is also speci- fied, the settings of the primary and alternate boot devices are displayed. -v Outputs verbose messages including a timestamp that indicates major operations being performed. ARGUMENTS
lvm_root_disk Specifies the device name of the LVM root disk that is to be destroyed, along with its entire volume group. EXAMPLES
This example shows the vxdestroy_lvmroot command invoked in its simpliest form: /etc/vx/bin/vxdestroy_lvmroot c5t1d0 # /etc/vx/bin/vxdestroy_lvmroot -v -b c3t0d0 Are you sure about destroying c3t0d0 (imported on VG /dev/vg02) ? YES vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: Tearing down /dev/vg02 on device c3t0d0 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: Unmounting and removing any volumes associated with /dev/vg02 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: removing logical volume /dev/vg02/lvol1 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: removing logical volume /dev/vg02/lvol2 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: removing logical volume /dev/vg02/lvol3 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: removing logical volume /dev/vg02/lvol4 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: removing logical volume /dev/vg02/lvol5 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: removing logical volume /dev/vg02/lvol6 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: removing logical volume /dev/vg02/lvol7 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: removing logical volume /dev/vg02/lvol8 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: Removing Volume Group /dev/vg02 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: Removing device files in /dev/vg02 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: Removing LVM Physical Volume c3t0d0 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: Removing LVM Physical Volume c1t1d3 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: Removing LVM Physical Volume c1t1d4 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: Removing LVM Physical Volume c1t1d5 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:03: Current setboot values: vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:03: Primary: 0/0/6/0/0.0.0 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:03: Alternate: 0/0/1/0/0.1.0 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:03: Making disk c0t1d0 (0/0/1/0/0.1.0) the primary boot disk vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:03: Removal of device c3t0d0, volume group /dev/vg02 was successful SEE ALSO
cpio(1), dd(1), fsck(1M), setboot(1M) vxbootsetup(1M) vxcp_lvmroot(1M) vxres_lvmroot(1M) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxdestroy_lvmroot(1M)