Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh Script, Reading A File, Grepping A File Contents In Another File Post 303026488 by Brusimm on Wednesday 28th of November 2018 04:03:14 PM
Old 11-28-2018
ksh Script, Reading A File, Grepping A File Contents In Another File

So I'm stumped.
First... APOLOGIES... my work is offline in an office that has zero internet connectivity, as required by our client. If need be, I could print out my script attempts and retype them here. But on the off chance... here goes.

I have a text file (file_source) of terms, each line could have one, two or more words in this file.
I want to use each line from file_source as a key to grep for in a different file, (file_target)
I want to run a script that reads file_source, and uses the words from each line, to search/grep in file_target.
IE: grep "one first word" file_target, or just grep "second" file_target, etc.

In my first attempted script I have run a=`cat file_source`, then in a do loop, tried to grep "$a" file_another.
But instead of looking for all the words in one line, the routine I've created looks for each word individually from the line it's reading.
So instead of grep "a b c" file, I got grep a file, grep b file, grep c file.
Which is great... but sometimes, I really need to know that a, b and c occurred as a phrase.

I've tried multiple ideas, from cat, to read, to while to screaming. (OK, screaming is not a function, just a reaction.)
I can get a while read routine to read the whole line of file_source, but then trying to use the line to grep for in file_target fails wonderfully, saying something to the effect of source not found or what not.

I've run the script in the directory of the file I want to look at, calling out the file, and also run it pointing to the full path/file, to no avail.

If anyone has quick suggestions, outlines, ideas, or examples, WITHOUT burning up too much of your time, I'd appreciate it.
Thank you.

Bruce

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific contents from a file and appending it to another file

Hi, I need to write a shell script (ksh) to read contents starting at a specific location from one file and append the contents at specific location in another file. Please find below the contents of the source file that I need to read the contents from, File 1 -----# more... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading file names from a file and executing the relative file from shell script

Hi How can i dynamically read files names from a list file and execute them from a single shell script. Please help its urgent Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushilrai
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading and printing one by one contents of a file

I have a file which has following contents: localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552455.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552460.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552467.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552759.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552969.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552975.xml ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya.Gurgaon
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping a file contents into another file

I have a file named as ucid.txt It has multiple rows of "id". I need to search and grep each line of it from a file named as pw_logs.txt and put the results into another file. Please help ! Thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopikrish81
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to grep a pattern from file compare contents with another file and replace

Hi All, Need help on this I have 2 files one file file1 which has several entries as : define service{ hostgroup_name !host1,!host5,!host6,.* service_description check_nrpe } define service{ hostgroup_name !host2,!host4,!host6,.* service_description check_opt } another... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: namitai
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading file contents until a keyword

Hi Guys, I need to read a file until I find a blank line. and in the next iteration I want to continue reading from the line I find a keyword. For ex: my file looks like PDS_JOB_ALIAS CRITERIA_ITEM_TYPE PDS_JOB_CRITERIA_ITEM CRITERIA_ITEM_TYPE First I want to read the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: infintenumbers
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looping/Reading file contents not working

Hi, I am doing something basic, but I am missing something. Im trying to read the contents of a file and taking those values and connecting to a database. However, it only connect to one (or reads in) value and then exists. Here is what it looks like: listname.txt db1 db2 db3 Script:... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: DBnixUser
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading the contents of the file and splitting using ksh

We're using a ksh script for installing one product. I've another config file, I'd need to read this configuration file from my main script Content of the Configuration file:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bittu129
2 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

sed replace file contents by reading from another file

Hello, My input file1 is like this by tab-delimited chr1 mm10_knownGene stop_codon 3216022 3216024 0.000000 - . gene_id "uc007aeu.1"; transcript_id "uc007aeu.1"; chr1 mm10_knownGene CDS 3216025 3216968 0.000000 - 2 gene_id "uc007aeu.1"; transcript_id "uc007aeu.1"; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (sh file) logic to compare contents of one file with another file and output to file

Shell script logic Hi I have 2 input files like with file 1 content as (file1) "BRGTEST-242" a.txt "BRGTEST-240" a.txt "BRGTEST-219" e.txt File 2 contents as fle(2) "BRGTEST-244" a.txt "BRGTEST-244" b.txt "BRGTEST-231" c.txt "BRGTEST-231" d.txt "BRGTEST-221" e.txt I want to get... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
22 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)