Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Revive RAID 0 Array From Buffalo Duo NAS Post 303026354 by hicksd8 on Monday 26th of November 2018 04:09:50 AM
Old 11-26-2018
I'm not familiar with Buffalo NAS specifically but there are two different architectures of RAID controller.

One stores the array configuration information on the disks, including type of array (Raid 0,1,3,5,6 or whatever) and the disk member number of that array. When this type of controller fails you can replace it with a new one which, at boot, will read the disk labels and run with the previous RAID array(s).

The second, and most common type, stores the array configuration in its own NVRAM and if the controller fails you have to find a way of resetting the correct configuration into NVRAM. Often this is by using some new disks to configure the same array and then swapping the disks back to the originals. The manufacturer would usually be referred to for advice.

It seems to me like the NTFS filesystem is not as it was so your recovery technique was flawed. Perhaps the disks are in the wrong order or something like that. Kali doesn't like what it's seeing. It might be quicker to initialise the array and restore from backup.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Percent complete error while scanning RAID array during 5.0.6 load

Percent complete SCO 5.0.6 / No longer an issue (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Henrys
0 Replies

2. AIX

RAID level of array = false?

I created a RAID 5 array and when I list out the attributes of the "hdisk" it reports back raid_level = 5 but the RAID level of the array = false. What does this actually indicate about my array? I've never paid much attention to this until now since I have a disk reporting failure I want to make... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottsl
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Create RAID - Smart Array Tool - ML370

Hi guys, i must install an old old old ml370 server... I must create a RAID 5 with my 4 SCSI disk. I need a SmartStart disk for create it or a Floppy Disk called "Array configuration Tool". I don't find it on the hp website...:mad::mad::mad: Anyone have it?? Thanks in advance. Zio (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zio Bill
0 Replies

4. Solaris

EFI Disk labels on 3510 raid array

Hi Peeps, Can anyone help me an EFI lablel on a 3510 raid array that I cannot get rid of, format -e and label just asks you if you want to label it. Want an SMI label writing to it. Anyone got any ideas on how to remove the EFI label? Thanks in advance Martin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: callmebob
2 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Loading a RAID array after OS crash

One of my very old drive farm servers had an OS fault and can't boot now but I'd like to restore some files from it. I tried booting Ubuntu from a CD, but it couldn't see the drives -- possibly because they're RAIDed together. Is there a good way to get at my files? The data in question is a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CRGreathouse
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

missing raid array after reboot

Dear all , i ve configured raid 0 in redhat machine(VM ware), by following steps: #mdadm -C /dev/md0 -l 0 -n 2 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 #mkfs.ext3 /dev/md0 #mdadm --detail --scan --config=mdadm.conf >/etc/mdadm.conf then mounted the/dev/md0 device and also added a entry in fstab. how... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriniv666
2 Replies

7. Debian

Best RAID settings for Debian Server? Help!! (1+0 or 5 or NAS)

I am installing a Debian Server on a: HP Proliant DL380 G4 Dual CPU's 3.20 ghz / 800 mhz / 1MB L2 5120 MB RAM 6 hard disks on HP Smart Array 6i controller (36.4 GB Ultra320 SCSI HD each) I will be using this server to capture VHS video, encode, compress, cut, edit, make DVD's, rip... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marcus Aurelius
0 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Revive Ad Server MySQL Injection Attack

No rest for the weary, a Revive Ad Server I am responsible for experienced a MySQL injection attack due to a vulnerability uncovered in the past few months. I was busy developing Vue.js code for the forums and thought to myself "I will get around to upgrading to Revive 4.2.0 (supposedly the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
CISS(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   CISS(4)

NAME
ciss -- HP/Compaq Smart ARRAY 5/6 RAID controllers SYNOPSIS
ciss* at pci? function ? DESCRIPTION
The ciss driver provides support for the CISS interface implemented by fifth and later generations of the HP/Compaq Smart ARRAY family of controllers. The CISS interface is defined in the document entitled CISS Command Interface for SCSI-3 Support Open Specification, Version 1.04, Valence Number 1, Compaq Computer Corporation, 2000/11/27. This driver supports several Compaq and HP controllers implementing the CISS interface, including: o Compaq Smart Array 5300 version 1 o Compaq Smart Array 5300 version 2 o Compaq Smart Array 5i version 1 o Compaq Smart Array 5i version 2 o HP Smart Array 5312 o HP Smart Array 6i o HP Smart Array 641 o HP Smart Array 642 o HP Smart Array 6400 o HP Smart Array 6400 EM o HP Smart Array E200 o HP Smart Array E200i o HP Smart Array P400 o HP Smart Array P400i o HP Smart Array P600 o HP Smart Array P800 o HP Smart Array V100 o HP Smart Array 1 through 13 These controllers support RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, JBOD, and superpositions of those configurations. Although the controllers are actual RAID controllers, the ciss driver makes them look just like SCSI controllers. All RAID configuration must be done through the controllers' BIOSes. Hardware from previous generations of this product family may be supported by the cac(4) driver. SEE ALSO
bio(4), cac(4), intro(4), pci(4), scsi(4), sd(4) HISTORY
The ciss driver first appeared in NetBSD 3.1. AUTHORS
The ciss driver was written by Michael Shalayeff <mickey@openbsd.org>, and ported to NetBSD by Tonnerre Lombard <tonnerre@netbsd.org>. BSD
May 28, 2008 BSD