Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris When were all scripts on the Solaris server last executed? Post 303026096 by hicksd8 on Tuesday 20th of November 2018 05:17:00 AM
Old 11-20-2018
You're asking how to know which scripts run during the next month. So are users still using this system? If so, can't you ask them what commands they are running? If cron is automatically running stuff, why not pull up the crontabs and look at them?

Files are normally in:

Code:
/usr/spool/cron/crontabs

one file per username that has jobs scheduled. Although you shouldn't edit these files directly, they are perfectly readable with 'cat' for example.

Sorry if I'm on the wrong track here but I'm not clearly understanding your difficulty.

Please elaborate on the problem.

Last edited by hicksd8; 11-20-2018 at 07:21 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Staus of Executed Scripts

Hi There, I have 3 scripts that have to be run one after the other. All 3 scripts are dependent of the other. Now, If I am about to run the second script, assuming that the first script has already been run, can I get the status of the first script. The problem is that, My second script has... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathanjalireddy
11 Replies

2. Programming

Binary not getting executed from Java on Solaris environment

In the Java programme, I am calling function, "Runtime.getRuntime().exec( cmdarray ); " with the array of arguments in which first argument is the binary(C-executable) file and argv1,argv2 and so on. This will be executed on Sun OS system.. I can execute using "sh -c cmdarray" on the shell... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shafi2all
0 Replies

3. Linux

Script under rc3.d not being executed on server bootup

Hello all, I have a script callled 'ABCstartup' setup under /etc/rc.d/init.d Softlink 'S91ABCstartup' pointing to above script has been created under /etc/rc.d/rc3.d The script is not being executed when the server restarts. The script runs successfully via manual execution:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangjani
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris audit to syslog - where is arguments to the commands executed?

Hi, we have server, that is auditing actions executed, and then sends them to the syslog server. But there is arguments to issued to the commands in the audit trail, but there is no such arguments in the syslog output on the syslog server! Example - I executed: # ls -la audit... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: masloff
1 Replies

5. Solaris

application compiled on solaris 10 throwing error when executed on solaris 9

I have compiled my application on Solaris 10 with following description SunOS ldg1 5.10 Generic_138888-03 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-T6320 The compiler is Sun C++ 5.9 SunOS_sparc Patch 124863-01 2007/07/25 But when installing the application on Solaris 9 SunOS odcarch02 5.9... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ash_bit2k2
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Scripts in solaris server

hi, i want to know whether we can use both perl and unix shell in a single script in Solaris server (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chn10db001
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Procedure to be executed from shell scripts

Hi, I am looking for a script wherein i will be able to execute below procedures one by one in line and next procedures starts only when the previous one completes and also after execution of each procedure i will be getting a automted mail as "PL/SQL PROCEDURE SUCCESSFULLY EXCETUTED". ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple shell scripts executed in one script

Hi every one, i am new to shell script. my people given a task to write a shell script that should execute number of shell scripts in that. in that, if any shell script is failed to execute, we have to run the main script again, but the script should start execute from the failed script only.. it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Madhu Siddula
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple shell scripts executed in one script

Hi every one, i am new to shell script. my people given a task to write a shell script that should execute number of shell scripts in that. in that, if any shell script is failed to execute, we have to run the main script again, but the script should start execute from the failed script only.. it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madhu Siddula
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List commands executed on a server

Hi All, how to list all the commands executed by users on a linux server.... I dont have access to others .bash_history. and i am not root user.. Please help.. Thanks in advance.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanz143
6 Replies
CRONTAB(1)                                                    General Commands Manual                                                   CRONTAB(1)

NAME
crontab - maintain crontab files for individual users (Vixie Cron) SYNOPSIS
crontab [ -u user ] file crontab [ -u user ] [ -i ] { -e | -l | -r } DESCRIPTION
crontab is the program used to install, deinstall or list the tables used to drive the cron(8) daemon in Vixie Cron. Each user can have their own crontab, and though these are files in /var/spool/cron/crontabs, they are not intended to be edited directly. If the /etc/cron.allow file exists, then you must be listed (one user per line) therein in order to be allowed to use this command. If the /etc/cron.allow file does not exist but the /etc/cron.deny file does exist, then you must not be listed in the /etc/cron.deny file in order to use this command. If neither of these files exists, then depending on site-dependent configuration parameters, only the super user will be allowed to use this command, or all users will be able to use this command. If both files exist then /etc/cron.allow takes precedence. Which means that /etc/cron.deny is not considered and your user must be listed in /etc/cron.allow in order to be able to use the crontab. Regardless of the existance of any of these files, the root administrative user is always allowed to setup a crontab. For standard Debian systems, all users may use this command. If the -u option is given, it specifies the name of the user whose crontab is to be used (when listing) or modified (when editing). If this option is not given, crontab examines "your" crontab, i.e., the crontab of the person executing the command. Note that su(8) can confuse crontab and that if you are running inside of su(8) you should always use the -u option for safety's sake. The first form of this command is used to install a new crontab from some named file or standard input if the pseudo-filename ``-'' is given. The -l option causes the current crontab to be displayed on standard output. See the note under DEBIAN SPECIFIC below. The -r option causes the current crontab to be removed. The -e option is used to edit the current crontab using the editor specified by the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables. After you exit from the editor, the modified crontab will be installed automatically. If neither of the environment variables is defined, then the default editor /usr/bin/editor is used. The -i option modifies the -r option to prompt the user for a 'y/Y' response before actually removing the crontab. DEBIAN SPECIFIC
The "out-of-the-box" behaviour for crontab -l is to display the three line "DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE" header that is placed at the beginning of the crontab when it is installed. The problem is that it makes the sequence crontab -l | crontab - non-idempotent -- you keep adding copies of the header. This causes pain to scripts that use sed to edit a crontab. Therefore, the default behaviour of the -l option has been changed to not output such header. You may obtain the original behaviour by setting the environment variable CRONTAB_NOHEADER to 'N', which will cause the crontab -l command to emit the extraneous header. SEE ALSO
crontab(5), cron(8) FILES
/etc/cron.allow /etc/cron.deny /var/spool/cron/crontabs There is one file for each user's crontab under the /var/spool/cron/crontabs directory. Users are not allowed to edit the files under that directory directly to ensure that only users allowed by the system to run periodic tasks can add them, and only syntactically correct crontabs will be written there. This is enforced by having the directory writable only by the crontab group and configuring crontab com- mand with the setgid bid set for that specific group. STANDARDS
The crontab command conforms to IEEE Std1003.2-1992 (``POSIX''). This new command syntax differs from previous versions of Vixie Cron, as well as from the classic SVR3 syntax. DIAGNOSTICS
A fairly informative usage message appears if you run it with a bad command line. cron requires that each entry in a crontab end in a newline character. If the last entry in a crontab is missing the newline, cron will consider the crontab (at least partially) broken and refuse to install it. AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> is the author of cron and original creator of this manual page. This page has also been modified for Debian by Steve Greenland, Javier Fernandez-Sanguino and Christian Kastner. 4th Berkeley Distribution 19 April 2010 CRONTAB(1)