Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX AIX dump device not showing accurate size Post 303025910 by bakunin on Thursday 15th of November 2018 12:02:55 AM
Old 11-15-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by paqman
I am trying to configure dump devices on my AIX server. Running 7100-03-04-1441. My dump device needs to be about 2GB in size. My PP Size is 1024MB, so I create the device with 2 PPs. When I run lslv on the dump device, it shows the 2 PPs, and a PP Size of 1024 megabytes. However, a dumpcheck -p shows that my dump device is only 256MB in size. dumpcheck seems to think my PP Size is only 128MB.

My rootvg does show that the size used is indeed 2GB. So where is this extra space going, and why is dumpcheck not reporting all the size for my dump device?
Just because you create a logical volume of type "dump" doesn't mean it is used as dump. Use the sysdumpdev to find out which dump device is actually in use. You can also use this command to find out how big the dump device has to be (-e, estimate) and to set the dump device (-Pp <device>).

On another note, you seem to have doctored with the rootvg because it is quite unusual to have a 1GB PP-size. Usual PP-sizes in rootvgs are indeed 64MB and 128MB. I don't know what exactly you did, but: might it be that this has something to do with it?

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

core dump file size

Hi All, is there any way to find out the optimal/would be size of the cor dump file generated by the system while a process got terminated abnormally? Basically we have been asked to provide the size of the core dump file being generated by the administrators who maintained the UNIX boxes.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pushp.gahlot
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Showing Device Does Not Exist While Taking Backup

Friends, while taking backup on /dev/rmt/0cn it is showing device does not exists. I have checked /dev/rmt 0cn is present there with link file created in /devices/pci@8,700000/scsi@5/st@5,0:cn I have checked cd /devices/pci@8,700000/scsi@5 but st@5,0:cn is not there. But I found st@3,0:cn. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ailnilanjan
3 Replies

3. AIX

The largest dump device is too small

1.what is dump device in AIX?... 2. i m getting this error message The largest dump device is too small. when i check the paging space , it is used only 41% any help welcome (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: click007
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script not showing accurate Time Stamp and Size

Hey guys - I have made this script and for some reason, I dont see time stamp as "Month-Day-YYYY Hours-Mins" - all i see is Month and Day. Also, my file size is approximated. For example, if the size is 19,606KB - the script shows as 20M. Is there a way to see the exact file size? How do i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
2 Replies

5. Solaris

iSCSI disk showing incorrect size

Hi, I have a very frustrating issue! I hope you guys can assist When a disk is presented out the iSCSI target display a lower disk capacity SOLARIS VERSION is SOLARIS 10 05/09 Kernel Patch 139555-31 ISCSI Patch 119090-31, 141878-11 Unix Commands To discover Target bash-3.00# i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: capitalexall
0 Replies

6. AIX

The largest dump device is too small.

E87EF1BE 0605150011 P O dumpcheck The largest dump device is too small. bash-3.00$ errpt -aj E87EF1BE | more --------------------------------------------------------------------------- LABEL: DMPCHK_TOOSMALL IDENTIFIER: E87EF1BE Date/Time: Sun Jun 5 15:00:01... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
4 Replies

7. AIX

change the primary dump device of a vio server

Hi how to change the primary dump device in a vio server ? $ ioslevel 2.2.0.11-FP-24 SP-01 $ oem_setup_env # sysdumpdev -l primary /dev/sysdumpnull secondary /dev/hd6 copy directory /var/adm/ras forced copy flag TRUE always allow dump TRUE dump... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
1 Replies

8. AIX

Dump device

Hi all I have a query about dump device in aix, i asked this question on interview. what is dump device, how to add dump device & its work. kindly give this answer, thanks in advance. :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reply.ravi
1 Replies

9. Solaris

dedicated crash dump device

Hello Guys, I need a little help here. I have been studying crash dump and per what I am reading, you can dedicate a slice to use as a dump device. Now when you dedicate this slice, do you have to : 1) create a mount point? 2) add entry in /etc/vfstab? 3) is this slice wu or wm? 4) should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Showing strange size in df output

Hi, This is Solaris-10 box and in few of file-system (root file-system of non global zones), usage/available is not showing correct size. I am not able to figure out, what is eating up this space. Global Server - bdrpod01 Non Global zone - bdrpod01-zputq01 root@bdrpod01:/root# df -h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
2 Replies
dump(9E)							Driver Entry Points							  dump(9E)

NAME
dump - dump memory to device during system failure SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/ddi.h> #include <sys/sunddi.h> int dump(dev_t dev, caddr_t addr, daddr_t blkno, int nblk); INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris specific (Solaris DDI). This entry point is required. For drivers that do not implement dump() routines, nodev(9F) should be used. ARGUMENTS
dev Device number. addr Address for the beginning of the area to be dumped. blkno Block offset to dump memory. nblk Number of blocks to dump. DESCRIPTION
dump() is used to dump a portion of virtual address space directly to a device in the case of system failure. It can also be used for checking the state of the kernel during a checkpoint operation. The memory area to be dumped is specified by addr (base address) and nblk (length). It is dumped to the device specified by dev starting at offset blkno. Upon completion dump() returns the status of the transfer. When the system is panicking, the calls of functions scheduled by timeout(9F) and ddi_trigger_softintr(9F) will never occur. Neither can delay(9F) be relied upon, since it is implemented via timeout(). See ddi_in_panic(9F). dump() is called at interrupt priority. RETURN VALUES
dump() returns 0 on success, or the appropriate error number. SEE ALSO
cpr(7), nodev(9F) Writing Device Drivers SunOS 5.11 9 Oct 2001 dump(9E)