Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX AIX dump device not showing accurate size Post 303025893 by paqman on Wednesday 14th of November 2018 05:20:14 PM
Old 11-14-2018
AIX dump device not showing accurate size

I am trying to configure dump devices on my AIX server. Running 7100-03-04-1441. My dump device needs to be about 2GB in size. My PP Size is 1024MB, so I create the device with 2 PPs. When I run lslv on the dump device, it shows the 2 PPs, and a PP Size of 1024 megabytes. However, a dumpcheck -p shows that my dump device is only 256MB in size. dumpcheck seems to think my PP Size is only 128MB. Here you can see the output of lslv dump2lv showing the PP Size and PPs:

Code:
LOGICAL VOLUME:     dump2lv                VOLUME GROUP:   rootvg
LV IDENTIFIER:      00c1077000004b0000000166fa6a2f10.11 PERMISSION:     read/write
VG STATE:           active/complete        LV STATE:       opened/syncd
TYPE:               sysdump                WRITE VERIFY:   off
MAX LPs:            512                    PP SIZE:        1024 megabyte(s)
COPIES:             1                      SCHED POLICY:   parallel
LPs:                2                      PPs:            2
STALE PPs:          0                      BB POLICY:      non-relocatable
INTER-POLICY:       minimum                RELOCATABLE:    yes
INTRA-POLICY:       middle                 UPPER BOUND:    8
MOUNT POINT:        N/A                    LABEL:          None
MIRROR WRITE CONSISTENCY: on/ACTIVE
EACH LP COPY ON A SEPARATE PV ?: yes
Serialize IO ?:     NO
INFINITE RETRY:     no                     PREFERRED READ: 0

And here you can see dumpcheck showing the size being only 262144 kb:

Code:
# /usr/lib/ras/dumpcheck -p
The largest dump device is too small.

Largest dump device
         dump2lv
Largest dump device size in kb
Current estimated dump size in kb

My rootvg does show that the size used is indeed 2GB. So where is this extra space going, and why is dumpcheck not reporting all the size for my dump device?

Thanks in advance!

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags for data and terminal output too, thank you.

Last edited by bakunin; 11-15-2018 at 12:48 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

core dump file size

Hi All, is there any way to find out the optimal/would be size of the cor dump file generated by the system while a process got terminated abnormally? Basically we have been asked to provide the size of the core dump file being generated by the administrators who maintained the UNIX boxes.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pushp.gahlot
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Showing Device Does Not Exist While Taking Backup

Friends, while taking backup on /dev/rmt/0cn it is showing device does not exists. I have checked /dev/rmt 0cn is present there with link file created in /devices/pci@8,700000/scsi@5/st@5,0:cn I have checked cd /devices/pci@8,700000/scsi@5 but st@5,0:cn is not there. But I found st@3,0:cn. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ailnilanjan
3 Replies

3. AIX

The largest dump device is too small

1.what is dump device in AIX?... 2. i m getting this error message The largest dump device is too small. when i check the paging space , it is used only 41% any help welcome (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: click007
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script not showing accurate Time Stamp and Size

Hey guys - I have made this script and for some reason, I dont see time stamp as "Month-Day-YYYY Hours-Mins" - all i see is Month and Day. Also, my file size is approximated. For example, if the size is 19,606KB - the script shows as 20M. Is there a way to see the exact file size? How do i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
2 Replies

5. Solaris

iSCSI disk showing incorrect size

Hi, I have a very frustrating issue! I hope you guys can assist When a disk is presented out the iSCSI target display a lower disk capacity SOLARIS VERSION is SOLARIS 10 05/09 Kernel Patch 139555-31 ISCSI Patch 119090-31, 141878-11 Unix Commands To discover Target bash-3.00# i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: capitalexall
0 Replies

6. AIX

The largest dump device is too small.

E87EF1BE 0605150011 P O dumpcheck The largest dump device is too small. bash-3.00$ errpt -aj E87EF1BE | more --------------------------------------------------------------------------- LABEL: DMPCHK_TOOSMALL IDENTIFIER: E87EF1BE Date/Time: Sun Jun 5 15:00:01... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
4 Replies

7. AIX

change the primary dump device of a vio server

Hi how to change the primary dump device in a vio server ? $ ioslevel 2.2.0.11-FP-24 SP-01 $ oem_setup_env # sysdumpdev -l primary /dev/sysdumpnull secondary /dev/hd6 copy directory /var/adm/ras forced copy flag TRUE always allow dump TRUE dump... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
1 Replies

8. AIX

Dump device

Hi all I have a query about dump device in aix, i asked this question on interview. what is dump device, how to add dump device & its work. kindly give this answer, thanks in advance. :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reply.ravi
1 Replies

9. Solaris

dedicated crash dump device

Hello Guys, I need a little help here. I have been studying crash dump and per what I am reading, you can dedicate a slice to use as a dump device. Now when you dedicate this slice, do you have to : 1) create a mount point? 2) add entry in /etc/vfstab? 3) is this slice wu or wm? 4) should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Showing strange size in df output

Hi, This is Solaris-10 box and in few of file-system (root file-system of non global zones), usage/available is not showing correct size. I am not able to figure out, what is eating up this space. Global Server - bdrpod01 Non Global zone - bdrpod01-zputq01 root@bdrpod01:/root# df -h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
2 Replies
savecore(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       savecore(8)

Name
       savecore - save a core dump of the operating system

Syntax
       /etc/savecore [ options ] dirname [ system ] [ corename ]

Description
       The  command  is  meant	to  be called near the end of the file.  The command saves the core dump of the system (assuming one was made) and
       writes a reboot message in the shutdown log.

The command checks the core dump to be certain it corresponds with the current running ULTRIX.  If it does, it saves the core image in  the
       file  dirname/vmcore.n and saves the namelist in the file dirname/vmunix.n.  The trailing .n in the pathnames is replaced by a number which
       increments each time is run in that directory.

After saving the core and namelist images, will save the error logger buffer into a predetermined file.	The error logger  buffer  contains
       information about why the crash occurred.  After completes, the daemon will extract the error logger file and translate its contents into a
       form familiar to the program.

Before writes out a core image, it reads a number from the file dirname/minfree.  If there are fewer free blocks  on  the  filesystem  that
       contains  dirname  than the number obtained from the file, a core dump is not done.  If the file does not exist, savecore always writes out
       the core file (assuming that a core dump was taken).

The command also writes a reboot message in the shut down log.  If the system crashed as a result of a panic, also records the panic string
       in the shut down log.

For  partial  crash  dumps,  creates  a	sparse	core image file in dirname/vmcore.n.  If this sparse core image file is copied or moved to
       another location, the file expands to its true size which can take too much file system space.  Hence, to copy or move  sparse  core  image
       files, you must use the command. The command has a conversion option to create sparse output files.

Options
       -c   Clears  the core dump.  This option is useful when the core dump is corrupted in a way that will not allow to save it safely.  Use the
	    option with caution, because once it clears the core dump, the core dump cannot be retrieved.

-d dumpdev dumplo
	    Specifies the dump device and the dump offset when running on a system image other than the currently running system image.  The  pro-
	    gram  assumes  that  the running system image is and it reads the dump device and dump device offset are different in the system image
	    that crashed, the option provides the correct dump device and dump device offset.

-e   Saves only the error logger buffer into a file.  If used, core or namelist images are not saved.

-f corename
	    Takes the i corefile name as the file from which to extract the the crash dump data instead of the default dump device.   This  option
	    is used only for diskless workstations.

If  the	core  dump was from a system other than /vmunix, the name of that system must be supplied as system.  The program assumes that the
       running image is

After successful completion, the core dump is cleared.  Also, a message is written in the file which tells whether the  dump  succeeded	or
       failed.

Files
       Shut down log

Current running ULTRIX system

See Also
       dd(1), uerf(8)

savecore(8)