Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users CentOS7 restoring file capabilities Post 303025724 by rbatte1 on Saturday 10th of November 2018 12:42:02 PM
Old 11-10-2018
Yes, we'd tried that without success. I hadn't considered the other file attributes options though. Sadly, it seems no better. A simple test just on CentOS7 gives me this:-
Code:
# tar -cvpzf - --xattrs --acl --selinux /usr/bin/ping | (cd /tmp;tar -xzvp --xattrs --acl --selinux  -f -)
tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
/usr/bin/ping
usr/bin/ping
# getcap -v /usr/bin/ping /tmp/usr/bin/ping
/usr/bin/ping = cap_net_admin,cap_net_raw+p
/tmp/usr/bin/ping

Am I doing something daft? At worst I've scanned all local files and collected the capabilities into a file that then is part of the tarball. On recovery I can apply them within my kickstart file. It's just more steps to wory about.

I have found that simply copying a file loses the capabilities, one has to cp --preserve=xattr source target Maybe I don't understand where these are stored. Maybe I don't need to know, just understand the rules I need to follow Smilie

I know I can achieve it with rsync but I can't neatly use that when doing a PXE recovery and I'd have to get the files out to all the remote locations individually too, which would be a nightmare.

I will keep digging. Any other suggestions to explore very welcome.

Kind regards,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restoring a file from Tape

help please i have "inherited" a Sco Server (the administrator departed in a hurry...yes we are chasing him..) and haven't used Unix for 8 years. i have a file that i need to retrieve from a tape. i have been able to find the file on tape using the cpio -ivt command. however... the problem I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfischer
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restoring a single file...???

Can anyone please help...? Managed to do a ufsdump of files to tape. Having trouble using ufsrestore to pull a single file back by filename?? I have dumped a single file to tape also because looking through the other threads, I noticed that you have to tell it to skip files before you get to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jonathan
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Restoring TAR'd file to different location

Is it possible to restore a TAR'ed file off of a tape to a location other than the original location? If so, how? (The MAN pages give examples of how to restore only to the originating location.) Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restoring a file

I'm new to Unix and have just wrote a little program to move files to a recycle bin (a Directory i created) and restore them. The problem is that i need to keep track of all the full filenames so that i can restore them to the right place. I did this by creating a file called delreg and putting the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zoolz
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restoring back a deleted file in unix.

Hi, Can any one tell me how to restore back the deleted file in unix? I know the file name. If i know the inode number of the file does help more to restore back the file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

restoring file to its default location...

Hello everyone, I am new to unix shell. I have a file called Path.txt....and i have data in that as 1 abhi 2 avi 3 ash so on..... 1 ,2 ,3 is the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AbhijitIT
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Restoring a Root File System that was on a metadevice

Hello I use Solaris 10. I need to restore the root file system, but I don't know how . i can only boot the server in safe mode or with the cd (ok boot cdrom -s) Do you guys know a good procedure, I don't want to break the mirrors. ( the server is not a cluster). Its an emergency, i would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: feg
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Issues restoring a large dump file

Post deleted. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nobody_knows_me
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restoring a file to its original location

Hello everyone, I am attempting to make a recycling bin type application in shell script (tcsh). I have the whole part of the application done where someone can recycle files from one location to the recycling bin (the lower half of the program), this is not a problem. However I wanted to make... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tastybrownies
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restoring deleted file with rm -rf

Is there a way I could recover a deleted text file with "rm -rf" command. Running CentOS 6.5. Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: galford
5 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. SunOS 5.10 30 Aug 2004 getusershell(3C)