Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Convert a numeric to 2 decimal point value Post 303025661 by LoneRanger on Thursday 8th of November 2018 01:44:54 PM
Old 11-08-2018
Convert a numeric to 2 decimal point value

Hi , I have a file which contains text like

Code:
A|Mau|Code|12|Detail
B|Mau|Code|20|Header

I want to write a command using awk which will output

Code:
A|Mau|Code|12.00|Detail
B|Mau|Code|20.00|Header

I used a command like
Code:
awk -F"|" {printf "%s|%s|%s|%.2f|%s",$1,$2,$3,$4,$5}'

which does the job but could have been better.

any suggestions?

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 11-08-2018 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Floating point numeric comparisions in bash

Hi, I am trying to compare 2 floating point numbers 0.8 and 0.15 using bash and get the largest of the two. Can anyone advise. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: borncrazy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get rid of decimal point?

Hi, I have input with decimal point ( 9.99 ) for hours variable hrs. I need to change it to seconds. Here is my code: secs=`/usr/ucb/echo $hrs*3600 |bc` But I don't want to see the decimal point. I can use awk to trim it if there is one. I am just wondering if there is better standard... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cin2000
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a decimal point

Hi all. Using /bin/sh on an HPUX system. I want to place a decimal in the field 2 charactors from the right (yes, converting to currency). The field lengths are variable. Here's what I'm doing: exec < filename while read FIELD1 FIELD2 do FIELD1="echo $FIELD1 | sed 'syntax that will... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lyoncc
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL:How to convert numeric values txt file to PACKED DECIMAL File?

Is there any way to convert numeric values txt file to PACKED DECIMAL File using PERL. Regards, Alok (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aloktiwary
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two numbers with decimal point

How to compare two numbers with decimal points ? Is there a way in bash to do this? (33 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinny
33 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert decimal notation to ANSI point code notation

wondering if anyone has any thoughts to convert the below thru a shell script Convert decimal signalling point notation to ANSI point code notation There is a site that does that conversion but i need to implement the solution in a shell script.....Thoughts.... OS: Solaris 9 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aavam
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retain upto 2 decimal point for numeric values

Hi I have a big file with lines like below <tr align="center" bgcolor="SEASHELL"><td>94% </td><td>4.62178 </td><td>73.4375 </td></tr> <tr align="center" bgcolor="SEASHELL"></td><td>97% </td><td>3.2962 </td><td>125 </td></tr> I want to format the file such that i get like below. i.e... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ningy
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert hexa decimal to decimal

Hi, I want to convert two hexadecimal numbers to decimal using unix command line. 1cce446295197a9d6352f9f223a9b698 fc8f99ac06e88c4faf669cf366f60d I tried using `echo "ibase=16; $no |bc` printf '%x\n' "1cce446295197a9d6352f9f223a9b698" but it doesn't work for such big number it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhakar T
4 Replies

9. Programming

Urgent help needed.. C++ program to convert decimal to hexa decimal

Hi , seq can be 0...128 int windex = seq / 8; int bindex = seq % 8; unsigned char bitvalue = '\x01' << (7-bindex) ; bpv.bitmapvalue = bitvalue; This is the part of a program to convert decimal to bitmap value of hexadecimal. I want this to change to convert only to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to add following decimal point to a CSV value?

hi there I being trying to figure out way to add " .0" to an integer value in a csv using sed or awk with out success. just as a work around for 2147483647 32 bit limitation that influxdb is currently having the data base will accept values and work fine if it has the XXX.0 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sash99
7 Replies
euctoibmj(1)							   User Commands						      euctoibmj(1)

NAME
euctoibmj, ibmjtoeuc - Code conversion between Japanese EUC and IBM-Japanese SYNOPSIS
euctoibmj [-t] [-u code] [-U] [filename...] ibmjtoeuc [-u code] [-U] [filename...] AVAILABILITY
SUNWjfpu DESCRIPTION
euctoibmj converts the contents of the specified filenames from ASCII/ Japanese EUC to EBCDIC/IBM-Japanese. ibmjtoeuc converts the con- tents of the specified filenames from EBCDIC/IBM-Japanese to ASCII/ Japanese EUC. The both commands write the resultant code to stdout. If filename is not given, input characters are read from the standard input. For Japanese language handling, the euctoibmj/ibmjtoeucj pair of commands provide conversion only between the two code standards. Code con- version among Japanese EUC, JIS, and PC kanji are supported by another set of commands, jistoeuc(1) family or iconv(1). OPTIONS
-u code With this option specified, characters in one code set that do not have corresponding characters in the other are mapped to the code given in four-digit hexadecimal HOST CODE of IBM Japanese (for euctoibmj) or in four-digit JIS Ku-Ten code (for ibmjtoeuc). Without this option, such characters are mapped to HOST CODE 4040 (for euctoibmj) or JIS Ku-Ten code 0101 (for ibmjtoeuc). -U The output is not buffered (The default is buffered output). -t With this option specified, euctoibmj translates Half-Size Katakana (Code Set 2) in Japanese EUC to the corresponding characters in Code Set 1 prior to conversion. Without this option, Code Set 2 characters in Japanese EUC are processed to the illegal charac- ter. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The environment variables LC_CTYPE and LANG control the character classification throughout these commands. For euctoibmj and ibmjtoeuc to work correctly, one or both of the environment variables must be set to ja or an equivalent locale. On entry to these commands, these envi- ronment variables are checked in the following order: LC_CTYPE and LANG. When a valid value is found, remaining environment variables for character classification are ignored. FILES
/usr/lib/jcodetables/ibmj-euc Code conversion table for IBM Japanese. SEE ALSO
iconv(1), jistoeuc(1), iconv_ja(5) DIAGNOSTICS
unexpected data encountered in input. Illegal character code is found in input file. BUGS
The ASCII/EBCDIC conversion table are taken from the 256 character standard in the CACM Nov, 1968. The conversion, while less blessed as a standard, corresponds better to certain IBM print train convertions. There is no universal solution. The Japanese EUC/IBM Japanese conversion table is based on the IBM Kanji codebook (4th edition - September 1987), JIS X 0201, and JIS X 0208-1983. If JIS X 0212 caracter set is specified as input, euctoibmj can not support the conversion correctly. SunOS 5.10 10 Jan 2003 euctoibmj(1)