Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Different multipath softwares for RAC Post 303025558 by Peasant on Monday 5th of November 2018 12:54:48 PM
Old 11-05-2018
Well i would start by installing (if my infrastructure allows this) a same solaris 11 instance with couple of luns, not related to original RAC.
Present couple of luns, create asm or simple filesystem over those disk, and then switch from EMC to native to see effects

If you can, clone/snapshot the entire monster using storage methods in a network isolated environment to give it a shot.

In theory, ASM doesn't care which multipath software is used.
It's just a symlink to disk slice if configured per docs.

So, if you failover and use only single node, reconfigure the multipath on other box and create exact same symlinks to devices used on EMC devices before, stuff should just magically work.

Disk label should stay the same and sliceN used in ASM configuration should be the same, no mater which multipathing software is used.

But to put a small disclaimer, from all the storage stuff i have not worked with EMC or their multipath software.
As i've been reading the powerpath stuff will create /dev/emcpower* or similar device files, on which it will intercept the IO and balance it to appropriate disks devices below.

Using commands provided by that software, list the mapping to devices below.
Check what ASM has defined inside configuration for disk match (ASM_DISKSTRING).

Looks fairly transparent to change, but i would try it first in non-volatile environment...

Regards
Peasant.
This User Gave Thanks to Peasant For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Findout 3rd party softwares in Linux/Solaris server

Hi all, how to find 3rd party softwares like Oracle,phpldapadmin,Citrix etc (other than packages) which are installed on a linux box. Please guide me to get this info'n on LINUX/SOLARIS. Thanks in advance, Uday (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: uday123
0 Replies

2. Solaris

How to download softwares on Solaris

I am connected to Internet on newly built solaris machine. I have downloaded putty.exe on Desktop and then when I double clicked it ... It gave some errors of 'Associating Application...' what is all that? and How to run Putty now? I dont remember... but may be I did something on association window... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: panchpan
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing softwares and utilities in unix

Greetings to Everyone, iam a new unix learner , can anyone tell me how to install softwares and utilities in unix, (comparing with windows installation) . in windows we use to install softwares like executing a "exe" file with "next,next....finish." Give me some details abt "how the setup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijayq8
1 Replies

4. Ubuntu

list the softwares installed in Linux

I need list of 3rd party softwares installed in a Unix server (eg: Fedora / RedHat). I know if they are system supported format (like rpm format for fedora/redhat, pkg format for debian/ubuntu etc) we can list them by system specific commands ($ rpm -qa). But how to list the softwares installed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uday123
3 Replies

5. Solaris

free softwares

I just installed solaris 10 x86, i was wondering if there are softwares out there that i can install on my system to make my system more lively eg photo browser etc, also i was trying to play dvd movie with totem movie player when i had error "could not determine stream type" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
2 Replies

6. Solaris

How to converting rac to one rac ?

hi everyone, We have rac system which has two sun solaris M5000s and two oracle 11gR2 databases respectively. Also , we have unix codes on one rac and these unix codes extract txt files for external tables during first step of ETL. We run our unix codes using Util.RunThis java code and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: imtheone
10 Replies

7. Linux

What is the lightest distro for using Debian/Ubuntu softwares

Which distro uses lowest system resource (when installed on hard_disk/usb.) where I can install software from Debian OR Ubuntu repository? I found Quelitu which is based on Lubuntu, but uses less memory as given on their site. There are lighter distros but most of them are based on Slackware. I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: iripu
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ftp client softwares that will generate UNIX commands

Hi Folks, Please advise for FTP client softwares like winscp we use mostly to transfer the files to other unix box machines but any ftp software which in logs will also generate and show the unix commands parallely for ex if I create a directory graphically through ftp software then it will list... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: punpun66
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Information regarding softwares installed on the Solaris server

I need to know information regarding the softwares/applications that are installed on my Solaris server and also its end of life or support information. Can some one help me how to get these details please... Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk250
3 Replies
MULTIPATHD(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     MULTIPATHD(8)

NAME
multipathd - multipath daemon SYNOPSIS
multipathd [options] DESCRIPTION
The multipathd daemon is in charge of checking for failed paths. When this happens, it will reconfigure the multipath map the path belongs to, so that this map regains its maximum performance and redundancy. This daemon executes the external multipath config tool when events occur. In turn, the multipath tool signals the multipathd daemon when it is done with devmap reconfiguration, so that it can refresh its failed path list. OPTIONS
-d Forground Mode. Don't daemonize, and print all messages to stdout and stderr. -v level Verbosity level. Print additional information while running multipathd. A level of 0 means only print errors. A level of 3 or greater prints debugging information as well. -k multipathd will enter interactive mode. From this mode, the available commands can be viewed by entering "help". When you are fin- ished entering commands, press CTRL-D to quit. COMMANDS
The following commands can be used in interactive mode: list|show paths Show the paths that multipathd is monitoring, and their state. list|show paths format $format Show the paths that multipathd is monitoring, using a format string with path format wildcards. list|show maps|multipaths Show the multipath devices that the multipathd is monitoring. list|show maps|multipaths format $format Show the status of all multipath devices that the multipathd is monitoring, using a format string with multipath format wildcards. list|show maps|multipaths status Show the status of all multipath devices that the multipathd is monitoring. list|show maps|multipaths stats Show some statistics of all multipath devices that the multipathd is monitoring. list|show maps|multipaths topology Show the current multipath topology. Same as "multipath -ll". list|show topology Show the current multipath topology. Same as "multipath -ll". list|show map|multipath $map topology Show topology of a single multipath device specified by $map, e.g. 36005076303ffc56200000000000010aa. This map could be obtained from "list maps". list|show wildcards Show the format wildcards used in interactive commands taking $format list|show config Show the currently used configuration, derived from default values and values specified within the configuration file /etc/multi- path.conf. list|show blacklist Show the currently used blacklist rules, derived from default values and values specified within the configuration file /etc/multi- path.conf. list|show devices Show all available block devices by name including the information if they are blacklisted or not. list|show status Show the number of path checkers in each possible state, the number of monitored paths, and whether multipathd is currently handling a uevent. add path $path Add a path to the list of monitored paths. $path is as listed in /sys/block (e.g. sda). remove|del path $path Stop monitoring a path. $path is as listed in /sys/block (e.g. sda). add map $map Add a multipath device to the list of monitored devices. $map can either be a device-mapper device as listed in /sys/block (e.g. dm-0) or it can be the alias for the multipath device (e.g. mpath1) or the uid of the multipath device (e.g. 36005076303ffc56200000000000010aa). remove|del map $map Stop monitoring a multipath device. resize map|multipath $map Resizes map $map to the given size switch|switchgroup map $map group $group Force a multipath device to switch to a specific path group. $group is the path group index, starting with 1. reconfigure Reconfigures the multipaths. This should be triggered automatically after any hotplug event. suspend map|multipath $map Sets map $map into suspend state. resume map|multipath $map Resumes map $map from suspend state. fail path $path Sets path $path into failed state. reinstate path $path Resumes path $path from failed state. disablequeueing maps|multipaths Disable queueing on all multipath devices. restorequeueing maps|multipaths Restore queueing on all multipath devices. disablequeueing map|multipath $map Disable queuing on multipathed map $map restorequeueing map|multipath $map Restore queuing on multipahted map $map quit|exit End interactive session. SEE ALSO
multipath(8) kpartx(8) hotplug(8) AUTHORS
multipathd was developed by Christophe Varoqui, <christophe.varoqui@opensvc.com> and others. Linux Administrator's Manual November 2009 MULTIPATHD(8)