Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grandpa returning to UNIX
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Grandpa returning to UNIX Post 303025483 by hicksd8 on Saturday 3rd of November 2018 12:05:12 PM
Old 11-03-2018
The installer not finding (or configuring) a DNS server is no big deal.

The DNS server(s) address should be configured in
Code:
/etc/resolv.conf

You can edit that file (or create it if it doesn't exist) and put the ip address of your desired DNS server in there.

A directive "nameserver" plus single ip address will suffice, on the first and only line in the file, fully left justified.

For example to use Google's DNS server which is at 8.8.8.8 simply edit your resolv.conf to be like this:

Code:
nameserver 8.8.8.8

and reboot your box.

EDIT: Original post was technically incorrect, edited post to correct my mistake.

Last edited by hicksd8; 11-03-2018 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: Technical correction: include "nameserver"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Returning Strings from C program to Unix shell script

Hi, Iam calling a C program from a Unix shell script. The (C) program reads encrypted username/password from a text file , decrypts and returns the decrypted string. Is there any way i can return the decrypted string to Unix shell program. My shell script uses the output of the program to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: satguyz
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

pclose returning -1

Hi all, In my application i am trying to select some text & then give it to print. for this i am opening a stream using popen & then later closing using pclose. Now this is working fine in my environment (solaris) but the pclose function is failing at my clients m/c. Even though print is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimishm123
3 Replies

3. Programming

Returning Strings from C program to Unix shell script

Hi, I'm having a requirement where I need to call a C program from a shell script and return the value from the C program to shell script. I refered a thread in this forum. But using that command in the code, it is throwing an error clear_text_password=$(get_password) Error: bash:... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesh_sasi
24 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

returning from a function

Hi all, I am very new to BASH shell programming. I need to return an integer from a function to the caller function. I did this: but it keeps giving me wrong return: Can someone help me out here, please? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alirezan
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

ps-eo returning wrong value

Hi Need some help, bit of a noobie here. This command work perfectly with unix. returns a value of 1 which is what i want. ps -eo user,comm |grep -v grep |grep -c /path to file When i run the same command on a linux server it returns a value of 0., something maybe wrong with the command.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wneutt
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to capture oracle function returning 2 values in unix

i have an oracle function which returns two values, one is the error message if the function encounters anything and another one which returns a number i need to capture both and pass it on to unix shell script how to do it (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning -ve value in a pattern

Dear Friends, I need your help once more. I want to write a simple select as follows select amount from books where sr=1234 However, if value of "Amount" is negative then it should print it as follows. "3000-" and not as "-3000" Can you help me in this? Waiting for reply Anu. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control from UNIX script is not returning to the Parent program

Hi All, My program flow is as below Windows batch -- > Cygwin batch --> zsh script There are multiple Cygwin batch scripts that are called from Windows batch file . But when i am executing the first cygwin batch script the control goes to the zsh file and executes and stoping from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control not returning from Sqlplus to calling UNIX shell script.

Hello All, I have a UNIX script which will prepare anonymous oracle pl/sql block in a temporary file in run time and passes this file to sqlplus as given below. cat > $v_Input_File 2>>$v_Log << EOF BEGIN EXECUTE IMMEDIATE 'ALTER SESSION FORCE PARALLEL DML PARALLEL 16'; EXECUTE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikas_trl
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control not returning from Sqlplus to calling UNIX shell script.

Hello All, I have exactly same issue @vikas_trl had in following link: https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/259854-control-not-returning-sqlplus-calling-unix-shell-script.html I wonder if he or somebody else could find the issue's cause or the solution. Any help would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RicardoQ
4 Replies
RESOLV.CONF(5)							File Formats Manual						    RESOLV.CONF(5)

NAME
resolv.conf - Domain Name System resolver configuration SYNOPSIS
/etc/resolv.conf DESCRIPTION
The /etc/resolv.conf is used to configure how the host will use the Domain Name System to resolve hostnames to IP addresses. It may con- tain these two lines: nameserver IP-address domain domain-name The nameserver entry tells the IP address of the host to use for DNS queries. If it is set to 127.0.0.1 (which is the default) then the local name daemon is used that may use the /etc/hosts database to translate host names. You normally only need a nameserver entry if the name server is at the other side of a router. The default nonamed name server can't look beyond the local network. The domain entry tells the default domain to use for unqualified hostnames. This entry is usually not given in which case the domain of the local host is used. The long version of this story can be found in resolver(5). FILES
/etc/resolv.conf DNS resolver configuration file. SEE ALSO
resolver(5), hosts(5), nonamed(8), boot(8). AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) RESOLV.CONF(5)