Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: System V printing filter
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting System V printing filter Post 303025413 by gull04 on Friday 2nd of November 2018 03:45:55 AM
Old 11-02-2018
Hi Ken,

The "Alpha Unix" that you are working with could be one of several versions, setting up the printers and modifying the drivers is actually relatively straight forward using the admin GUI on the later versions of what I believe will be OSF.

However from memory this Unix also supported the "lpadmin" command subset, so it may be that you want to setup a class for the printer or copy the filter file - modify the copy and attach the printer to that or even create a new printer (pointing at the same remote queue).

It is now over 15 years since I worked on Alpha kit with OSF, so bear with me if I'm a little rusty - my notes are 300 miles away and were written in a notebook. If I get a chance when I'm home I'll try and dig them out.

Regards

Gull04

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to configure the lp system to filter files passed to it

I registered a printer hp123 on Sun Solaris Server. I think my printer is expecting a carriage return and linefeed combination at the end of each line (DOS standard), but unix files only have linefeeds at the end of each line. How can I configure the lp system to filter files passed to it?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simt
1 Replies

2. AIX

printing system with the command lp -d

Hello.. Plz, Any one can help me ? when I execute a printing system with the command lp -d<name of printer>, no result with all printers. I have verified the three processes : qdaemon, lpd, writesrv (No problem). thank's (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: okbainf
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

">" used in system() is not printing into file

I have a problem with the following skript in awk. cat runde.txt |awk '{ if ($5==2) { dataname_v=$1 "_" $4 "_adjust.rad befehl1="gensurf seitenwand... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ergy1983
17 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris printing system migration

Hello folks, I'm currently working on migration of printing system from one server to another (namely from Sol 9 to Sol 10). I would like ask if is possible to manage migration via simple copying /etc/printers.conf file and folder /etc/lp to the new server??? I'm not sure if printers... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brusell
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter ONLY lines with non-printing charaters

I have a file contains data with non-printing characters. i have used cat -v filename to display whole data with non-printing characters also. However, i need lines with non-printing characters into seperate file. My file is huge and looks like i have to manully find lines using cat -v filename |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSKOBS
3 Replies
cupsaccept(8)							    Apple Inc.							     cupsaccept(8)

NAME
cupsaccept/cupsreject - accept/reject jobs sent to a destination SYNOPSIS
cupsaccept [ -E ] [ -U username ] [ -h hostname[:port] ] destination(s) cupsreject [ -E ] [ -U username ] [ -h hostname[:port] ] [ -r reason ] destination(s) DESCRIPTION
The cupsaccept command instructs the printing system to accept print jobs to the specified destinations. The cupsreject command instructs the printing system to reject print jobs to the specified destinations. The -r option sets the reason for rejecting print jobs. If not specified, the reason defaults to "Reason Unknown". OPTIONS
The following options are supported by both cupsaccept and cupsreject: -E Forces encryption when connecting to the server. -U username Sets the username that is sent when connecting to the server. -h hostname[:port] Chooses an alternate server. -r "reason" Sets the reason string that is shown for a printer that is rejecting jobs. CONFORMING TO
The cupsaccept and cupsreject commands correspond to the System V printing system commands "accept" and "reject", respectively. Unlike the System V printing system, CUPS allows printer names to contain any printable character except SPACE, TAB, "/", or "#". Also, printer and class names are not case-sensitive. Finally, the CUPS versions may ask the user for an access password depending on the printing system configuration. SEE ALSO
cancel(1), cupsenable(8), lp(1), lpadmin(8), lpstat(1), CUPS Online Help (http://localhost:631/help) COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007-2017 by Apple Inc. 10 June 2014 CUPS cupsaccept(8)