Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh scripting SSH to Compare File Sizes Post 303025349 by Abstract3000 on Wednesday 31st of October 2018 08:39:00 AM
Old 10-31-2018
I appreciate the advice, I was kind of thinking the same thing myself while looking at it that I needed some sort of for loop to iterate through the servers executing the same command while storing file locations in variables and simply comparing each server to the 1st. I don't really have any idea of how i could apply a for loop to ssh multiple servers that were in an Array for instance. Though I did rework the code a bit and came up with the following solution, though you couldn't be as specific in your output you could easily spot an error.

Code:
#!/bin/ksh

FILE1=/root/directory1/files/file1.fil
FILE2=/root/directory2/files/file2.fil
FILESZ1==$(stat -c%s "$FILE1")
FILESZ2==$(stat -c%s "$FILE2")

filecheck() {
CHKFILE1=$(stat -c%s "$FILE1")
CHKFILE2=$(stat -c%s "$FILE2")
if [[ $FILESZ1 = $CHKFILE1 ]]; then
	print "file sizes match"
else
	print "file sizes do not match"
fi
if [[ $FILESZ2 = $CHKFILE3 ]]; then
	print "file sizes match"
else
	print "file sizes do not match"
fi
}

ssh user@server2 "$(typeset -f filecheck); filecheck;
ssh user@server3 "$(typeset -f filecheck); filecheck;
ssh user@server4 "$(typeset -f filecheck); filecheck;

Would the following code do the trick or am I missing something?
Thanks for the suggestions.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare file sizes

Is there a command that will return the name of the largest file within a directory? If so, can I set the returned filename into a variable? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: joli
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

to compare total directory structure and get sizes of all f on two different servers

Hello every one, Iam newbie to this forum and shell programming &scripting. i needed to compare each and every folder of two separate servers. Actually I have copied some directory structure from one server to second server, to build on second server the files all should be copied... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mannam srinivas
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to compare file sizes

hi ls -l * | sed 's/\+/ /g' | cut -f5 -d " " >out1 ls -l * | sed 's/\+/ /g' | cut -f5 -d " " >out2 diff out1 out2 i tried this it will work fine and i can see difference but i need a script which should neglect, if the difference b/w files is small and it should display... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: revenna
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH: Compare variable to $1 in an input file

Hello, I am working with KSH on AIX and I have 2 files generated from different sources... as seen below: FILE1 FILE2 AAA AAA@ABS0001C BBB BBB@ABS0003D CCC CCC@ABS0023A DDD DDD@ABC0145D EEE EEE@ABS0090A FFF FFF@ABS0002A GGG GGG@ABC0150D HHH FILE1 is main main data source,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

compare file percent sizes

I need to get a file size and compare it to a previous day file size. If it's larger or smaller by 50 percent I'll replace the new with the old. I know how to get the file sizes but do not know how to calculate if it's 50 percent difference. Thanks for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkuchar747
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare two file sizes.

Hi everyone! I need to compare two file sizes. One of them (size) will be stored in a flat file and the other coming from a listed file. I can now get the first file size using: SIZE=`ls -l $DOCTYPE | awk '{print $5}'` 1. How can I store this value in a flat file? 2. How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compare file sizes

I need to write a bash script larger X Y that compares the sizes of two specified files X and Y, and reports which file is larger. For example, if X is larger, the output should be "File X is larger", while if Y is larger, the output should be "File Y is larger". If the files are exactly the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: julia_21436
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using csh / awk / sed to compare database sizes in a txt file

Hello, I have an output file showing database sizes across the 3 environments that I use (LIVE, TEST & DEVELOPMENT). I am trying to write a script that lets me know if the size of a db on one environment is different to its corresponding db on the other environments. Here is an example... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevie_g
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh scripting, skip server if asks for password with SSH

Hi, I am running a script that connets to a list of servers with SSH and runs a command but I have some servers that are asking for password (authorized keys is not configured properly). Is there any way to do so that if I get a prompt for password just skip that entry? my script: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: galuzan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh: how compare content of a file with an other array

Hi, I created a skript in ksh which generate a file with semicolon as separator, this is an example of the file a created: example content file: hello;AAAA;2014-08-17 hello;BBBB;2014-08-17 hello;CCCC;2014-08-17 I would need to compare the content in of the second column of this file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmartin
3 Replies
COMM(1) 							   User Commands							   COMM(1)

NAME
comm - compare two sorted files line by line SYNOPSIS
comm [OPTION]... FILE1 FILE2 DESCRIPTION
Compare sorted files FILE1 and FILE2 line by line. With no options, produce three-column output. Column one contains lines unique to FILE1, column two contains lines unique to FILE2, and column three contains lines common to both files. -1 suppress column 1 (lines unique to FILE1) -2 suppress column 2 (lines unique to FILE2) -3 suppress column 3 (lines that appear in both files) --check-order check that the input is correctly sorted, even if all input lines are pairable --nocheck-order do not check that the input is correctly sorted --output-delimiter=STR separate columns with STR --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Note, comparisons honor the rules specified by 'LC_COLLATE'. EXAMPLES
comm -12 file1 file2 Print only lines present in both file1 and file2. comm -3 file1 file2 Print lines in file1 not in file2, and vice versa. GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report comm translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> AUTHOR
Written by Richard M. Stallman and David MacKenzie. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
join(1), uniq(1) The full documentation for comm is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and comm programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'comm invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.22 June 2014 COMM(1)