Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Question about Grub2 and Multipathing Post 303024531 by Overcast451 on Wednesday 10th of October 2018 11:28:08 AM
Old 10-10-2018
Some of that is outside of my control Smilie

This is the method that was decided upon... we have become pretty endeared to using recovered Virtual Machines or volumes from our Production side; overall it has reduced our RTO significantly due to the ease of importing synchronized data.

Part of the long standing issue we have had with maintaining the OS portion at the DR site is changes made in production that don't get replicated to the DR environment. Those changes are supposed to be done, but often still get missed. While there is always the 'so and so forgot to...' and then management whines about it; doing a full replication of even the boot environments simply factors out those human problems. For instance - a new mount point is added or an old mount point is removed.. a ton of little annoying things. Then when we test out DR processes, sometimes these 'little things' that we are unaware were changed, can cost us large amounts of time. Lately, we have been consolidating ZPOOLS on Solaris and every time we test - we run into issues with them.

But overall this works very well. Everything is 100% except for this /boot MPATH issue; and honestly - the systems will run on a single path just fine. But you know.. that's not good enough for a geek such as myself! lol

Thanks for your input too Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

solaris multipathing

I have solaris 10 sparc. I installed a Qlogic hba card. This card is connected on a brocade switch and the brocade is connected on 2 different controllers on a Hitachi disk bay. I formated 2 luns. On my solaris system, i have 4 disk. How to configure solaris 10 to fix the dual disk view. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: simquest
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris IP Multipathing

Hi, I saw your post on the forums about how to setup IP multipathing. I wanted your help on the below situation . I have 2 servers A and B . Now they should be connected to 2 network switches . S1 and S2. Now is it possible to have IP Multipathing on each of the servers as follows ? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: maadhuu
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris multipathing

Hai we using emc storage which is conneted to M5000 through san switch. we asign 13 luns but in server it is showing 22 luns. i enable the solaris multipathing (MPxIO) #more /kernel/drv/fp.conf in that file MPxio-disable=no #mpathadm list lu it shows ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshmani
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Multipathing - problem

Hello, I turned on the server multipathing: # uname -a SunOS caiman 5.10 Generic_141444-09 sun4v sparc SUNW,T5140 stmsboot -D fp -e And after a reboot the server, multipathing is not enable: # stmsboot -L stmsboot: MPxIO is not enabled stmsboot: MPxIO disabled # ls /dev/dsk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bieszczaders
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't get puppy to work with grub2

Hello, I'm trying to put puppy linux 4.2.1 (I can't use the latest because it won't boot on my hardware) on a grub2'd usb drive. It throws the error that it can't find pup_421.sfs Here is my /boot/grub/grub.cfg menuentry "Puppy 4.2.1" { loopback loop... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
2 Replies

6. Debian

Grub2 (dual boot, dmraid) cannot run Debian6

Hello, firstly excuse for my poor english. I have a busybox error when I try to run Debian 6. It's like Grub cannot find root (initramfs) My system is: - RAID0 with dmraid - /boot ext2 (from moonOS installation --ubuntu based--) - ext4 (moonOS wich have the Grub2 installation, where I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: neutralTTY
0 Replies

7. Linux

grub2 startup freeze

I got a dual boot with grub2, but everytime I turn on the computer and the booter is loaded, I can't handle the menu, so I am forced to wait the countdown and choose the default option. I'd really like to know why! This is my grub.cfg, # # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE # # It is automatically... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Luke Bonham
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

GRUB2 + UEFI issue, new entry each boot

Hello This is happening on: 3.13.7-200.fc20.x86_64 This happened already some weeks ago, until now i didn install linunx onto this machine, as i had to turn in the laptop to the service center so they could fix the UEFI flash storage. Either way, its happening again. as i installed Fedora 20... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sea
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Verify multipathing

I have a couple of questions regarding multipath. If I do vgdisplay vg01, I see it is using 1 PV: /dev/dm-13 If I type multipath -ll I see dm-9, dm-10, dm-11, dm-12, but do not see dm-13. Is my vg01 multipathed? How can I actually know for sure? Secondly, let's say this time vg01 says... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: keelba
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Unable to edit grub2 boot screen in centos 7

I have centos 7 gui installed on vmware workstation12 on my laptop.WhenI want to pause my splash screen while starting my centos 7 using the 'esc key' nothing happens and the system just boots up.I also see a entry for aci_memory_fail... entry during the boot process.help me fix the system. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sabsac
1 Replies
vfstab(4)                                                          File Formats                                                          vfstab(4)

NAME
vfstab - table of file system defaults DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/vfstab describes defaults for each file system. The information is stored in a table with the following column headings: device device mount FS fsck mount mount to mount to fsck point type pass at boot options The fields in the table are space-separated and show the resource name (device to mount), the raw device to fsck (device to fsck), the default mount directory (mount point), the name of the file system type (FS type), the number used by fsck to decide whether to check the file system automatically (fsck pass), whether the file system should be mounted automatically by mountall (mount at boot), and the file system mount options (mount options). (See respective mount file system man page below in SEE ALSO for mount options.) A '-' is used to indicate no entry in a field. This may be used when a field does not apply to the resource being mounted. The getvfsent(3C) family of routines is used to read and write to /etc/vfstab. /etc/vfstab can be used to specify swap areas. An entry so specified, (which can be a file or a device), will automatically be added as a swap area by the /sbin/swapadd script when the system boots. To specify a swap area, the device-to-mount field contains the name of the swap file or device, the FS-type is "swap", mount-at-boot is "no" and all other fields have no entry. EXAMPLES
The following are vfstab entries for various file system types supported in the Solaris operating environment. Example 1: NFS and UFS Mounts The following entry invokes NFS to automatically mount the directory /usr/local of the server example1 on the client's /usr/local directory with read-only permission: example1:/usr/local - /usr/local nfs - yes ro The following example assumes a small departmental mail setup, in which clients mount /var/mail from a server mailsvr. The following entry would be listed in each client's vfstab: mailsvr:/var/mail - /var/mail nfs - yes intr,bg The following is an example for a UFS file system in which logging is enabled: /dev/dsk/c2t10d0s0 /dev/rdsk/c2t10d0s0 /export/local ufs 3 yes logging See mount_nfs(1M) for a description of NFS mount options and mount_ufs(1M) for a description of UFS options. Example 2: pcfs Mounts The following example mounts a pcfs file system on a fixed hard disk on an x86 machine: /dev/dsk/c1t2d0p0:c - /win98 pcfs - yes - The example below mounts a Jaz drive on a SPARC machine. Normally, the volume management daemon (see vold(1M)) handles mounting of remov- able media, obviating a vfstab entry. If you choose to specify a device that supports removable media in vfstab, be sure to set the mount- at-boot field to no, as below. Such an entry presumes you are not running vold. /dev/dsk/c1t2d0s2:c - /jaz pcfs - no - For removable media on a SPARC machine, the convention for the slice portion of the disk identifier is to specify s2, which stands for the entire medium. For pcfs file systems on x86 machines, note that the disk identifier uses a p (p0) and a logical drive (c, in the /win98 example above) for a pcfs logical drive. See mount_pcfs(1M) for syntax for pcfs logical drives and for pcfs-specific mount options. Example 3: CacheFS Mount Below is an example for a CacheFS file system. Because of the length of this entry and the fact that vfstab entries cannot be continued to a second line, the vfstab fields are presented here in a vertical format. In re-creating such an entry in your own vfstab, you would enter values as you would for any vfstab entry, on a single line. device to mount: svr1:/export/abc device to fsck: /usr/abc mount point: /opt/cache FS type: cachefs fsck pass: 7 mount at boot: yes mount options: local-access,bg,nosuid,demandconst,backfstype=nfs,cachedir=/opt/cache See mount_cachefs(1M) for CacheFS-specific mount options. Example 4: Loopback File System Mount The following is an example of mounting a loopback (lofs) file system: /export/test - /opt/test lofs - yes - See lofs(7FS) for an overview of the loopback file system. SEE ALSO
fsck(1M), mount(1M), mount_cachefs(1M), mount_hsfs(1M), mount_nfs(1M), mount_tmpfs(1M), mount_ufs(1M), swap(1M), getvfsent(3C) System Administration Guide: Basic Administration SunOS 5.10 21 Jun 2001 vfstab(4)