Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Echo/kill pgrep
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Echo/kill pgrep Post 303024499 by Scott on Wednesday 10th of October 2018 04:25:40 AM
Old 10-10-2018
kill requires at least one argument (one or more PIDs).
Code:
kill [-s signal|-p] [-q sigval] [-a] [--] pid...

echo doesn't require any arguments (and wouldn't appear to serve any purpose in your example).

You could use kill $(pgrep foo). Or, you could just use pkill foo instead.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When kill doesnt work, how to kill a process ?

Hi All, I am unable to kill a process using kill command. I am using HP-UX system. I have tried with kill -9 and i have root privilages. How can i terminate this daemon ? ? ? Regards, Vijay Hegde (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijayHegde
3 Replies

2. Programming

kill(0,-9) don't kill the process

Hi all i have simple c program , when i wish to kill the app im using kill(0,-9) , but it seams this command don't do any thing and the program. just ignore it . what im doing wrong here ? im using HP-UX ia64 Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
9 Replies

3. AIX

pgrep substitute for porting a linux script to AIX 5.x

Hi, I'm trying to get this script to work on an AIX 5.3 box, I couldn't get pgrep for AIX, I also realize that ps works differently on the IBM boxes. Could anybody just give me the specifics of a work around for my problem, I'll adjust the whole script: #!/bin/bash # applabs.com #to do: #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thebytegrill
3 Replies

4. Programming

pgrep returns 256

Hi Everyone, I have a strange behaviour In my c program i use this line: int retval = system("pgrep encoder"); while i expect retval to contain 0,1,2,3 i get 256. did i do something wrong? thanks, Alex (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex889
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PGREP Arguments

I'm trying to figure out how to use pgrep to pull the arguments of a process. Given: root 308 1 0 00:00 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh /some/random/path/somescript.sh -flag /another/path/blahI can get the pid (308) using this command: pgrep shHowever, what if I wanted to pull by "somescript.sh"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
4 Replies

6. HP-UX

pgrep doesn't perform full command line pattern matching

Hi! I need to get PID of some particular process and I wonder if I can use pgrep tool for this purpose. The problem is that pgrep doesn't perform pattern matching on the whole command line, even if I use -f key. Parsing output of ps command is not quite convenient... Also deamon, which PID I need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh and pgrep not working

I have setup SSH keys . Trying to grep to get PID of remote jvm's . this is what am doing ssh -q testuser1@myhost.com 'PID1=pgrep -fl testapp1|awk "{print $1}";PID2=pgrep -fl testapp2|awk "{print $1}" ' echo $PID1, $PID2 it throws error"sh: -fl: command not found" ---------- Post updated... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kondagadu
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pgrep for processes which are not associated with a terminal in Ubuntu

I would like to find all of the PIDs of processes which are not associated with a terminal and started by CRON. When I do the ps aux | less command, I see in the TTY field a lot of processes with ? character I would like to get those processes ID, is there a way to do that with pgrep? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ASF Studio
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pgrep not showing desired output

I am searching for a process that should be up and running. Im using the following command ps -ef | grep elasticsearch to get elastic+ 1673 1 0 Jan29 ? 05:08:56 /bin/java -Xms4g -Xmx4g -Djava.awt.headless=true -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
1 Replies
KILL(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           KILL(1)

NAME
kill - send a signal to a process SYNOPSIS
kill [options] <pid> [...] DESCRIPTION
The default signal for kill is TERM. Use -l or -L to list available signals. Particularly useful signals include HUP, INT, KILL, STOP, CONT, and 0. Alternate signals may be specified in three ways: -9, -SIGKILL or -KILL. Negative PID values may be used to choose whole process groups; see the PGID column in ps command output. A PID of -1 is special; it indicates all processes except the kill process itself and init. OPTIONS
<pid> [...] Send signal to every <pid> listed. -<signal> -s <signal> --signal <signal> Specify the signal to be sent. The signal can be specified by using name or number. The behavior of signals is explained in sig- nal(7) manual page. -l, --list [signal] List signal names. This option has optional argument, which will convert signal number to signal name, or other way round. -L, --table List signal names in a nice table. NOTES Your shell (command line interpreter) may have a built-in kill command. You may need to run the command described here as /bin/kill to solve the conflict. EXAMPLES
kill -9 -1 Kill all processes you can kill. kill -l 11 Translate number 11 into a signal name. kill -L List the available signal choices in a nice table. kill 123 543 2341 3453 Send the default signal, SIGTERM, to all those processes. SEE ALSO
kill(2), killall(1), nice(1), pkill(1), renice(1), signal(7), skill(1) STANDARDS
This command meets appropriate standards. The -L flag is Linux-specific. AUTHOR
Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sf.net> wrote kill in 1999 to replace a bsdutils one that was not standards compliant. The util-linux one might also work correctly. REPORTING BUGS
Please send bug reports to <procps@freelists.org> procps-ng October 2011 KILL(1)