Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Putting an old hd in a new computer Post 303024431 by cokedude on Monday 8th of October 2018 02:46:35 PM
Old 10-08-2018
Putting an old hd in a new computer

What are the steps you need to take when you put an old HD in a new computer? I just did this. Every time it makes it to the windows boot screen then restarts. I have a bunch of old engineering software that is not compatible with the newer versions of windows. I figured this out after I bought a new computer and tried to add the software to a newer version of windows. So I figured I could just swap the HD's. This does not seem to be working either. Is there some way to set the new HD as a master and the old drive as a slave and boot that way maybe?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Putting pC on network

How do I put a my PC with linux 7.0 on a class B network. Can someone give me info or text that will guide me? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rush
1 Replies

2. Programming

Putting breakpoint on core

Any one tried puting breakpoint while debugging a core file? I have been using a gdb for running it.. But unsuccessful to put a breakpoint before executing it. Any sugestion or tool for doing it would be welcomed.. Thanks :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

putting a timestamp in a file

I was sure there was a way to put a timestamp ina logfile but I can't seem to figure out how. What I would like to do is after the last messages in the rptmgr.err log is put a timestamp so I know the next time I look whats new. I am using AIX 5.1 any help will great Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocker40
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Putting Wallpaper on the Desktop

How do I put wallpaper from the internet on the Unix desktop? For example, I want to know how to perform the same operation as "right click-> Set as Wallpaper" on a graphics on a web page, in Windows. Thanks! :rolleyes: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pireifej
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Putting a character between two other characters?

I need to separate Pascal style identifiers (TheyLookLikeThis) into words separated by an underscore (_). I've tried sed 's//&_&/' but this won't work (obviously). I'd love some help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

putting Linux on an old windows PC

Hello, I was just reading around these forums when I had an idea, without being able to really answer my question for myself due to some circumstances, so hopefully someone can give me a hand. I have an old desktop PC that has served me very well. I got an Asus G73JH though, so I mostly used the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Patriots12
2 Replies

7. Programming

putting numbers behind eachother

I want to make a program where you have to insert binary numbers like this: do { iBinary = getche(); }while(iBinary == 1 || iBinary == 0); after you get the numbers I want them to be placed behind eachother so you will get: input: 1 1 0 1 output: 1101 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: metal005
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

putting two images together

Hi, I generated many figures in .png format (approximately 120). Right now I need to pair the figures on a single page so that the files with the same file name (i.e. jack) that end with .matrix.png are placed on the left and .cdt.png is on the right (so jack.matrix.png with jack.cdt.png... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Putting $$ before filename

Hello , I am searching a directory for a file and have to assign the filename to a variable . The variable must have form $$filename So my code is echo "'$$filename='`ls -lrt *PreMatch*.csv| head -1 | nawk '{print $9}'`" however $$ is converting to a number . How could I make it $$... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Other way aside from putting more PIPES (|)

I already manage to get the output that i want.. but wat if removing all the pipes and convert it 1 liner with less pipes. My command below can get the ouput that i want. i just want to remove the pipes or less pipes. #cat file1 us-west-2a running i-3397a421... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
2 Replies
grub(5) 						Standards, Environments, and Macros						   grub(5)

NAME
grub - GRand Unified Bootloader software on Solaris DESCRIPTION
The current release of the Solaris operating system is shipped with the GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader) software. GRUB is developed and supported by the Free Software Foundation. The overview for the GRUB Manual, accessible at www.gnu.org, describes GRUB: Briefly, a boot loader is the first software program that runs when a computer starts. It is responsible for loading and transferring con- trol to an operating system kernel software (such as Linux or GNU Mach). The kernel, in turn, initializes the rest of the operating system (for example, a GNU [Ed. note: or Solaris] system). GNU GRUB is a very powerful boot loader that can load a wide variety of free, as well as proprietary, operating systems, by means of chain- loading. GRUB is designed to address the complexity of booting a personal computer; both the program and this manual are tightly bound to that computer platform, although porting to other platforms may be addressed in the future. [Ed. note: Sun has ported GRUB to the Solaris operating system.] One of the important features in GRUB is flexibility; GRUB understands filesystems and kernel executable formats, so you can load an arbi- trary operating system the way you like, without recording the physical position of your kernel on the disk. Thus you can load the kernel just by specifying its file name and the drive and partition where the kernel resides. Among Solaris machines, GRUB is supported on x86 platforms. The GRUB software that is shipped with Solaris adds two utilities not present in the open-source distribution: bootadm(1M) Enables you to manage the boot archive and make changes to the GRUB menu. installgrub(1M) Loads the boot program from disk. Both of these utilities are described in Solaris man pages. Beyond these two Solaris-specific utilities, the GRUB software is described in the GRUB manual, a PDF version of which is available from the Sun web site. Available in the same location is the grub(8) open-source man page. This man page describes the GRUB shell. SEE ALSO
boot(1M), bootadm(1M), installgrub(1M) Solaris Express Installation Guide: Basic Installations System Administration Guide: Basic Administration http://www.gnu.org/software/grub SunOS 5.11 21 Apr 2005 grub(5)