Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Installed Memory 32GB but shows only 16GB Post 303023270 by bakunin on Thursday 13th of September 2018 02:58:19 PM
Old 09-13-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by filosophizer
but there is no profile for the whole VIOS machine, Virtual I/O Server
although it is very similar to HMC
This is why i asked you if you use a HMC - you don't, but use IVM instead.

The IVM screen says the total system memory is 16GB. Do you have all 32GB activated? IBM usually delivers its machines configured for CuOD (customer upgrade on demand) and you can use only a part of what is physically installed until you buy a license for the rest.

Did you check the error log? Maybe some memory/memory controller is broken and was deactivated by the system. Have you checked the ASMI?

I hope this helps.

bakunin

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get amount of memory installed.

Hi! I'm not a UNIX fanatic but I like using it for the Oracle database since it's not stable in the Windows NT environment (what is?). Problem: Is there any command to show me the amount of installed physical-memory in the machine? Is there some other way to show the processes which uses... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elgholm
4 Replies

2. Solaris

T5220 How to determine physical memory installed?

Hi, looking to upgrade memory on a pair of T5220's from 32GB to 64GB. Cannot determine current DIMM size and slots used. i.e. not sure if Qty 16 x 2GB or Qty 8 x 4GB. If there are no empty slots, i need to go with higher density DIMMs and retire exsisting the 2GB prtdiag follows. #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: edrew
3 Replies
VIOMB(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						  VIOMB(4)

NAME
viomb -- VirtIO memory ballooning driver SYNOPSIS
virtio* at pci? dev ? function ? viomb* at virtio? DESCRIPTION
virtio(4) defines an interface for efficient, standard, and extensible I/O between the hypervisor and the virtual machine. The viomb driver supports the virtio-compliant memory ballooning device. Memory ballooning works as follows: 1. The host operator requests a guest to return some amount of memory to the host (via e.g. Qemu monitor balloon command). 2. The hypervisor sends the request via VirtIO memory ballooning device. 3. The guest viomb driver requests allocation of that amount of physical memory from the NetBSD memory management system. 4. The viomb device tells the hypervisor the guest physical memory address of the allocated memory via VirtIO memory ballooning device. The sysctl node hw.viomb.npages shows the requested number of memory pages to return to the hypervisor, while hw.viomb.actual shows the actual number of memory pages that are already returned to the hypervisor. SEE ALSO
virtio(4), sysctl(8) Rusty Russell, IBM Corporation, Virtio PCI Card Specification, http://ozlabs.org/~rusty/virtio-spec/. HISTORY
The viomb device driver appeared in NetBSD 6.0. BUGS
The userland interface should be same as the Xen ballooning device. BSD
November 26, 2011 BSD