Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Changing Times at UNIX.COM
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Changing Times at UNIX.COM Post 303023066 by joeyg on Tuesday 11th of September 2018 09:05:18 AM
Old 09-11-2018
Appreciate all the work you do and have done. And hope you have not misinterpreted any of my comments/questions "how do I do this now" or "where is that link now"?
Neither has been intended to take away from the hard work done, but more of "where is that click again?" Smilie Years of intuitively knowing where to click, and now trying to teach an old dog new tricks...

So, thanks again for all the work, and I look forward to the changes.

JoeyG
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to joeyg For This Post:

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing A Printer In Unix

We recently changed the ip address of one of our network printers. The unix box which connects to this printer no longer will print to it. Please can someone guide me as to how to use the unix system to either change the ip address that the box has for the printer or Re - add the printer with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pgamblin
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing directory on Unix

Hi, Can you please help ? I work on SCO Unix Open server Rel. 5. User root on Unix can change/view/modify any files belonging to any user on a file system. Is there any way where I can prevent non-root users to change thier directories to other non-root users area. for eg. There are 2 users... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: taher_n
3 Replies

3. AIX

how would you know your server was rebooted 3 times or 5 times

Is there such location or command to know how many times did you reboot your server in that particular day?in AIX. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
3 Replies

4. Programming

Problem with implementing the times() function in C (struct tms times return zero/negative values)

Hello, i'm trying to implement the times() function and i'm programming in C. I'm using the "struct tms" structure which consists of the fields: The tms_utime structure member is the CPU time charged for the execution of user instructions of the calling process. The tms_stime structure... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g_p
1 Replies

5. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

UNIX.com response times

Friends, Admins, Countrymen, for a few days now, this site is incredibly dragging its feet again - 40 plus sec to open e.g. "New Topics" or "Home", 24 + for "subscribed Threads". For a comparison: subsecond response for wikipedia, Englisch ⇔ Deutsch Worterbuch - leo.org: Startseite, or similar.... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: RudiC
18 Replies
mkmanifest(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mkmanifest(1)

NAME
mkmanifest - mtools utility to create a shell script to restore UNIX file names from DOS SYNOPSIS
mkmanifest [files] OPTIONS
None OPERANDS
A list of UNIX file names to be converted to DOS name format. DESCRIPTION
The mkmanifest command creates a shell script that aids in the restore of UNIX file names that were overwritten by DOS file name restric- tions. DOS file names are uppercase only, cannot exceed 8 character names, 3 character extensions and do not support device names or non- alphanumeric characters. Not all UNIX file names are supported in the DOS world. The mtools commands may have to change UNIX names to fit the DOS file name conven- tions. Most commands provide the verbose option (-v), that displays new file names if they have been changed. The following table shows some examples of file name conversions: ----------------------------------------------- UNIX name DOS name Reason for the change ----------------------------------------------- thisisatest THISISAT file name too long file.stuff FILE.STU extension too long prn.txt XRN.TXT PRN is a device name .abc X.ABC null file name hot+cold HOTXCOLD illegal character ----------------------------------------------- EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Success. Failure. EXAMPLES
Assume you have the following UNIX files that you want to copy to a DOS diskette using the mcopy command. very_long_name 2.many.dots illegal: good.c prn.dev Capital The mcopy command converts these file names to the following: very_lon 2xmany.dot illegalx good.c xprn.dev capital To restore the previous file names, use the mkmanifest command as follows: mkmanifest very_long_name 2.many.dots illegal: good.c prn.dev Capital > manifest The previous mkmanifest command line produces the following: mv very_lon very_long_name mv 2xmany.dot 2.many.dots mv illegalx illegal: mv xprn.dev prn.dev mv capital Capital The good.c file name did not require conversion, hence it was not included in the output. If these files were copied from diskette to another UNIX system, and you wanted to restore the original names, retain a copy of the mani- fest file (captured output) so that it can be used to convert the file names again. FILES
Executable file SEE ALSO
Commands: mcopy(1), mtools(1) mkmanifest(1)