Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat How to switch back from Oracle Kernel to RedHat? Post 303022817 by prvnrk on Saturday 8th of September 2018 12:23:08 AM
Old 09-08-2018
How to switch back from Oracle Kernel to RedHat?

Hello friends,

We have RHEL 7.5 server with latest updates. We needed to install Oracle 12 DB on it so chose "easy method" of installing "oracle-database-server-12cR2-preinstall-1.0-3.el7.x86_64.rpm" and then installed oracle DB. Everything went smooth and all OK but later we noticed that it has Oracle Kernel ver 4.14 uek installed instead of using Redhat's 3.10 ver. and using updates from Oracle rep. I managed to configure it back to use updates from Redhat (as we have support from RH) but not sure how to switch the kernel back to Redhat's by keeping all the software (esp Oracle) intact. Redhat is NOT providing any support as this server running Oracle kernel.

We can see both Oracle kernel entries & Redhat entries in grub.conf but not sure If I can simply boot Redhat 3.x kernel with oracle too working fine.

Could anyone please advise how to switch back to RH kernel without breaking anything else? I know rebuilding the server from scratch and not choosing "preinstall rpm" method will fix that but that's a too long process.

Many Thanks!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Load Oracle tables and switch public synonym

I need some help from Oracle and UNIX expertise point of view. I have two tables, METADATA_A and METADATA_B. I need to switch loading these tables. If we load METADATA_A today, the following week we would have to load METADATA_B. There is a public synonym "METADATA" that sits on top of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to compile linux kernel on redhat

Hello, Please let me know how to compile a linux kernel on redhat. I am relatively new in this area so please be a little patient with me. Here is the file I was consulting with the following details: Compiling the Linux Kernel on Redhat 7.1 This page describes how to install... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhattbonny
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Switch to 64-bit kernel on Solaris x86

I know this is probably a dumb question, but all of my Google and forum searches have been coming up empty. I mostly work with SPARC. How do you switch Solaris on x86 from 32-bit to 64-bit? When I do a uname -a on a newly installed machine I get "SunOS XXXXXXX 5.10 Generic_144489-17 i86pc i386... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: christr
8 Replies

4. Solaris

Unable to switch back to root from user

Hi, I am new to Solaris and when i am trying to Switch to root login from user, system throws message saying permissions denied... Steps I Followed: Created a user and logged into that user by SU username tried to come back to root but system throws message "permissions denied" ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijaySolaris
7 Replies

5. Red Hat

kernel panic - Failed back to HPET

Hello, I have a problem in my server: HP ProLiant DL580 G5 My OS is REDHAT 4.6 I have an error when I start the server: Badness in do_unblank_screen at drivers/char/vt.c:2878 ... Your time source seems to be instable or some driver is hogging interupts rip __smp_call_function +... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markke
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Redhat Cluster updating kernel setting

hello, I was going through clustering documentation for Redhat, it says "Enable IP Aliasing support in the kernel by setting the CONFIG_IP_ALIAS kernel option to y. When specifying kernel options, under Networking Options, select IP aliasing support", I knew I should update /etc/sysctl.conf with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobby320
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

redhat rebuild kernel

Hi expert, I goes to # pwd /usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-279.el6.x86_64 then I make bzImage I meet error # make CHK include/linux/version.h CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-x86 make: *** No rule to make target `missing-syscalls'. Stop. make:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Bring tape paths back up in Redhat 5.4

Hi Folks, Looking for some assistance here on a Dell server connected to a Dell tape robot with Redhat 5.4 and Netbackup 6.5. Netbackup thinks the tapes are all present and working, but they are not - we lost the internal encryption keys earlier but think that they are reinstated as the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
0 Replies
OCF_HEARTBEAT_ORACLE(7) 					OCF resource agents					   OCF_HEARTBEAT_ORACLE(7)

NAME
ocf_heartbeat_oracle - Manages an Oracle Database instance SYNOPSIS
oracle [start | stop | status | monitor | meta-data | validate-all] DESCRIPTION
Resource script for oracle. Manages an Oracle Database instance as an HA resource. SUPPORTED PARAMETERS
sid The Oracle SID (aka ORACLE_SID). (unique, required, string, no default) home The Oracle home directory (aka ORACLE_HOME). If not specified, then the SID along with its home should be listed in /etc/oratab. (optional, string, no default) user The Oracle owner (aka ORACLE_OWNER). If not specified, then it is set to the owner of file $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/*${ORACLE_SID}.ora. If this does not work for you, just set it explicitely. (optional, string, no default) ipcrm Sometimes IPC objects (shared memory segments and semaphores) belonging to an Oracle instance might be left behind which prevents the instance from starting. It is not easy to figure out which shared segments belong to which instance, in particular when more instances are running as same user. .sp What we use here is the "oradebug" feature and its "ipc" trace utility. It is not optimal to parse the debugging information, but I am not aware of any other way to find out about the IPC information. In case the format or wording of the trace report changes, parsing might fail. There are some precautions, however, to prevent stepping on other peoples toes. There is also a dumpinstipc option which will make us print the IPC objects which belong to the instance. Use it to see if we parse the trace file correctly. .sp Three settings are possible: .sp - none: don't mess with IPC and hope for the best (beware: you'll probably be out of luck, sooner or later) - instance: try to figure out the IPC stuff which belongs to the instance and remove only those (default; should be safe) - orauser: remove all IPC belonging to the user which runs the instance (don't use this if you run more than one instance as same user or if other apps running as this user use IPC) .sp The default setting "instance" should be safe to use, but in that case we cannot guarantee that the instance will start. In case IPC objects were already left around, because, for instance, someone mercilessly killing Oracle processes, there is no way any more to find out which IPC objects should be removed. In that case, human intervention is necessary, and probably _all_ instances running as same user will have to be stopped. The third setting, "orauser", guarantees IPC objects removal, but it does that based only on IPC objects ownership, so you should use that only if every instance runs as separate user. .sp Please report any problems. Suggestions/fixes welcome. (optional, string, default instance) clear_backupmode The clear of the backup mode of ORACLE. (optional, boolean, default false) shutdown_method How to stop Oracle is a matter of taste it seems. The default method ("checkpoint/abort") is: .sp alter system checkpoint; shutdown abort; .sp This should be the fastest safe way bring the instance down. If you find "shutdown abort" distasteful, set this attribute to "immediate" in which case we will .sp shutdown immediate; .sp If you still think that there's even better way to shutdown an Oracle instance we are willing to listen. (optional, string, default checkpoint/abort) SUPPORTED ACTIONS
This resource agent supports the following actions (operations): start Starts the resource. Suggested minimum timeout: 120. stop Stops the resource. Suggested minimum timeout: 120. status Performs a status check. Suggested minimum timeout: 5. monitor Performs a detailed status check. Suggested minimum timeout: 30. Suggested interval: 120. validate-all Performs a validation of the resource configuration. Suggested minimum timeout: 5. methods Suggested minimum timeout: 5. meta-data Retrieves resource agent metadata (internal use only). Suggested minimum timeout: 5. EXAMPLE
The following is an example configuration for a oracle resource using the crm(8) shell: primitive p_oracle ocf:heartbeat:oracle params sid=string op monitor depth="0" timeout="30" interval="120" SEE ALSO
http://www.linux-ha.org/wiki/oracle_(resource_agent) AUTHOR
Linux-HA contributors (see the resource agent source for information about individual authors) resource-agents UNKNOWN 03/09/2014 OCF_HEARTBEAT_ORACLE(7)