Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Moving file systems from one server to the other Post 303021282 by hicksd8 on Tuesday 7th of August 2018 03:00:38 PM
Old 08-07-2018
Well being professional the first thing you need to do before you mess with anything is to backup the lot. UFS filesystems are dumped using fssnap to take a snapshot (i.e. freeze) a filesystem which outputs a special device name. You then use that special device name to ufsdump the whole filesystem to backup (tape, external drive, whatever). Without doing that first should anything go seriously wrong you are stuffed. Your data is the most important thing!!!

Now, if you are saying that all filesystems are on a SAN then you should be able to get the storage boys to offer the LUNs to your new box. The main thing is whether that new box will boot from the root filesystem without error since I'm assuming that it's not identical hardware so different drivers might need to be loaded. That might take a few tricks. Also, the actual device nodes (e.g. c0t0d0s0) might be different but there are ways to get around that. You will need to manually update files like /etc/vfstab, /etc/system, etc, once the LUN's are swung across to the new box. This way you don't necessarily need to restore anything if you can get away with it.

Alternatively, you get your storage team to allocate new similar capacity LUN's for each and every filesystem, you install Solaris from installation media, and then restore each filesystem from its ufsdump file. You will still need to tackle the issues surrounding different hardware and incorrect drivers being restored.

HOWEVER, provided you have done the ufsdump backups for each and every filesystem, if anything goes bang you can recover. Just be totally professional and backup everything before you mess with it.

Hope that helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving from one web server to another

Hi All, Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my post. I am a Unix neophyte. I can install scripts, move around some and perform basic functions - mostly related to websites and alway with a resource guide in front of me. I currently have 12 websites hosted on a VPS and I would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lcurrie
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

moving files from one server to another

Hi guys, I have few files on my laptop(win XP). I am connected to a network called 'asx'(intranet). I have ssh2 and reflections on my system. I need to copy these few files from my system to a folder on the UNIX server(called 'CSSX'). Please can anyone explain me how to acheive this? I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uniksbro
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Do I need to reboot Solaris 10 server for changes in /etc/systems ?

Hi, I have upgraded my Solaris 10 2005 to Solaris 10 2007. I am facing one bug, id: 6550904. To override this issue I have done following changes in /etc/systems: set max_uheap_lpsize = 0x2000 set max_ustack_lpsize = 0x2000 set max_privmap_lpsize = 0x2000 set max_shm_lpsize =... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: neel.gurjar
6 Replies

4. AIX

moving to new server

I'm moving an application from an old RS6000 running 4.3.2 to a p5 running 5.3. Could someone point me a the direction on docs to perform such a function? Critical OS files, moving of printers and print queues especially. thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sullivjp
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files from one server to another server every 5 min

HI All, I am trying to automate my stuff to make 'to-do-easier'. I am new to shell scripting. I need help to you regarding the below problem. I have one directory in my server, frequently files will store in that directory. I want to move that files into another server on every 5... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravvamohan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving a database from one server to another

I hope I'm posting this in the correct section. I'm trying to move a database from one server to another. This is the code I'm using... tar czf - vbdatabase.sql | ssh username@full.domain.com 'cat > /home/cpanelusername/vbdatabase.tar.gz ... but all I'm getting is a ">" and then nothing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chimpie
4 Replies

7. Linux

Moving Whole OS Centos Server

I currently have a web server its on a small harddrive I didn't know my site would grow so fast but now I need a bigger hard drive. Instead of adding another harddrive (host charge monthly of how many hard drives connected to server) is there anyway to just move the whole os to a bigger hard drive... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: awww
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Key Points when Moving from Server A to Server B??

Hi Everyone, I'm still learning daily about UNIX (specifically Solaris 10). I'm tasked with moving my current application and database from Datacenter A to Datacenter B. There will be no updates and no changes other than a new server and new location. So far, I have Solaris... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smckech1972
3 Replies

9. Programming

Problem with Perl script after moving from a Windows/Apache Server to a UNIX server.

I have a Perl script that worked fine before moving it to justhost.com. It was on a Windows/Apache server. Just host is using UNIX. Other Perl scripts on other sites that were also moved work fine so I know Perl is functioning. The script is called cwrmail.pl and is located in my cgi-bin. When I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigBobbyB
9 Replies

10. Red Hat

Moving boot SSD from a dead server to a new server

Hi all, We have a disk array that has the boot drive on an OCZ SSD on a PCIe card. Well, the motherboard died and we got a new motherboard. We moved the controllers, NICs, etc, to the exact same slots on the new motherboard, except now it won't boot. I guess it doesn't recognize the OS on the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glowe57
1 Replies
xfs_freeze(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     xfs_freeze(8)

NAME
xfs_freeze - suspend access to an XFS filesystem SYNOPSIS
xfs_freeze -f | -u mount-point DESCRIPTION
xfs_freeze suspends and resumes access to an XFS filesystem (see xfs(5)). xfs_freeze halts new access to the filesystem and creates a stable image on disk. xfs_freeze is intended to be used with volume managers and hardware RAID devices that support the creation of snapshots. The mount-point argument is the pathname of the directory where the filesystem is mounted. The filesystem must be mounted to be frozen (see mount(8)). The -f flag requests the specified XFS filesystem to be frozen from new modifications. When this is selected, all ongoing transactions in the filesystem are allowed to complete, new write system calls are halted, other calls which modify the filesystem are halted, and all dirty data, metadata, and log information are written to disk. Any process attempting to write to the frozen filesystem will block waiting for the filesystem to be unfrozen. Note that even after freezing, the on-disk filesystem can contain information on files that are still in the process of unlinking. These files will not be unlinked until the filesystem is unfrozen or a clean mount of the snapshot is complete. The -u flag is used to un-freeze the filesystem and allow operations to continue. Any filesystem modifications that were blocked by the freeze are unblocked and allowed to complete. One of -f or -u must be supplied to xfs_freeze. NOTES
A copy of a frozen XFS filesystem will usually have the same universally unique identifier (UUID) as the original, and thus may be pre- vented from being mounted. The XFS nouuid mount option can be used to circumvent this issue. In Linux kernel version 2.6.29, the interface which XFS uses to freeze and unfreeze was elevated to the VFS, so that this tool can now be used on many other Linux filesystems. SEE ALSO
xfs(5), lvm(8), mount(8). xfs_freeze(8)