Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Update on UNIX.COM Site Upgrades (Desktop) Post 303021202 by Neo on Monday 6th of August 2018 09:04:08 AM
Old 08-06-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
This post is about the "Desktop" view, not "Mobile' ...

But, I still have not solved one of the original problems (the original sin) which is the fact that the CSS overflow function does not work for the bbcode pre tags, and so the scroll bar is currently for the entire post (wrong) and not for the text in the code tags.

I am pretty sure this problem happens because of how the original site uses table tags for each post; so I'm going to have to redesign all the posts to use only div tags without table tags (except for the small drop down / pop up menus).

There seems no way to get around this very boring and "not easy" part of the project, so I think I'll start on this in the next phase.

Basically, I think I'll create a new postbit template which on my user id will see, so when I fat finger some CSS or other make an error, only I will see the error, but you will only see the normal site.

Then, when we think I have it working OK, I'll make it live for testing.....

Thanks again.
I have fixed this problem... YAY!

Posts Converted to Divs - Overflow Works - Now Testing

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Anti-Unix site running Unix

I just wanted to share this piece of news to all of you, comments are unnecessary :) http://news.com.com/2100-1001-872266.html (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: J.P
1 Replies

2. AIX

How can I manage redundant HMC upgrades with firmware upgrades?

Lets says I have 2 HMC's A and B, connected to a p570 managed system. Right now the firmware level of the p570 is EM320_076 and that needs to be upgraded to EM340_095. Now the HMC's are at V7R3.3 and as per the code matrix the HMC's needs to be upgraded to V7R3.4 Servicepack 2. Now my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
5 Replies

3. Programming

Need best forum site for java (as for unix its unix.com)

Hi All, Can anyone help me for knowing the java best side forums. where i will get a quick responce like here , as i am having lot of question. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aish11
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Site update

Hi All, I have to go to some particular website for every day in backend, so i have created some script to pick that values, Is there any way to know the website updating, Because if site has mod. then my script is not giving proper data, so i need to check once in a day whether the site has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shenbaga.d
1 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Quick Update on UNIX.COM Site Renovation: Bootstrap, Font Awesome and jQuery

Here is an update on the site renovation: After a lot of analysis and example programming, including testing out a number of Javascript framework and libraries, in the short term, we are getting the most bang-for-the-buck from these three basic, core tech areas: Bootstrap (CSS and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
gnome-desktop-item-edit(1)					   User Commands					gnome-desktop-item-edit(1)

NAME
gnome-desktop-item-edit - GNOME Desktop file editor SYNOPSIS
gnome-desktop-item-edit [--create-new] filename DESCRIPTION
gnome-desktop-item-edit is the GNOME Desktop file editor, which you can use to create or edit the .desktop (known as desktop) file. GNOME uses a standard desktop file specification as proposed by freedesktop.org. A desktop file consists of a number of name-value pairs that define how a desktop should organize a particular application. As this is defined as an open standard, integration of applications into GNOME Desktop is relatively straightforward. A basic entry in the desktop file must start with a tag called [Desktop Entry]. It can then have a number of name-value pairs as defined by the standard. The minimum entries are as follows: Name the name of the application Comment a textual description of the application which is displayed as a tooltip message by gnome-panel. When set appropri- ately, the comment can be localized within the same file. Exec the name of the actual executable Icon the file name of the icon image Type the desktop file type Categories a multi-string field which is used by gnome-panel to group applications into the appropriate categories. These desktop files provide the information to gnome-panel, which places the application in the appropriate locations on the panel. In a similar manner, the GNOME file manager (Nautilus) uses information from the desktop files to display the 'applications:///' view. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --create-new Creates a new .desktop file. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: filename The name of the desktop file to be edited or viewed. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Editing an existing .desktop file example% gnome-desktop-item-edit fullpath/filename This command invokes the launcher dialog and loads the contents of the specified desktop file into the relevant fields. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-desktop-item-edit Executable for GNOME Desktop file editor /usr/share/applications/ Location of system desktop files ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-panel | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnome-panel(1), nautilus(1), attributes(5) Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. NOTES
Written by Ghee Teo, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.11 2 Oct 2003 gnome-desktop-item-edit(1)