Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Can't rcmd with star name
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can't rcmd with star name Post 303021019 by wbport on Thursday 2nd of August 2018 06:34:17 PM
Old 08-02-2018
Can't rcmd with star name

We have had a script here for years used to send files to other computers or to rcmd a command entered thru a prompt. A file we are looking for on the other computers will start with the same characters followed by -nnnnnn.txt. I can log into another computer and find (or not) that file, but not with a rcmd. This is the relevant part of the script:
Code:
    read cmdname
    date >>/usr/tmp/fixit.x$tstamp
    echo "Running $cmdname" >>/usr/tmp/fixit.x$tstamp
    exec 9</usr/shells/remote.list
    while in=`line <&9`
    do
       echo $in
       echo $in >>/usr/tmp/fixit.x$tstamp
       set  $in
       in=$4
       rcmd $in $cmdname 2>&1 |tee -a /usr/tmp/fixit.x$tstamp
    done

A command like "ls -l /dir1/dir2/FILEONE-.*" doesn't work.

Any ideas? TIA This is a SCO machine but the remotes may be SCO or Linux.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing a STAR tag-value file

I have a recent file I am trying to parse that looks like this: value_one:1:value_two:2:value_three:3 value_one matches to 1 value_two matches to 2 value_three matches to 3 the semi-colons not only seperate the tags to their corresponding values, but also seperate tag/value pairs from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mike@freddiemac
2 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Did you watch Super Star (Thalaivar's) Endhiran Movie?

Robot fever is there throughout the world ! :b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
3 Replies

3. Red Hat

What is star

I am looking to take the Redhat Certification exam, and one of the guidelines is: Can someone tell me what star is? Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: druidmatrix
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I replace the lines that start with a star and replace it with numbers start from 1?

I need to replace the (*) in the fist of a list with numbers using sed for example > this file contain a list * linux * computers * labs * questions to >>>> this file contain a list 1. linux 2. computers 3. labs 4. questions (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aalbazie
7 Replies

5. Solaris

Star/Libre/Open/???-Office for Solaris 11.2 ?

It's been a few years since this topic was last asked and answered.. curious whether anyone knows if the landscape has improved? looking for a more modern release of OpenOffice / LibreOffice / etc than the OOo-3.3 version mentioned in earlier posts from 2012. Would prefer not to compile from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Yeaboem
1 Replies
GEMS-SERVER(1)							gems documentation						    GEMS-SERVER(1)

NAME
gems-server - Transmit a shell session in real time. SYNOPSIS
gems-server [-ip ip] [-port p] [-maxconn n] [-wait m] [-log dest] [-noscript] [-script_bin script] gems-server -h | -v DESCRIPTION
Transmits a shell session to be shown in real time in various different computers or terminals. gems-server transmits data in real time to clients via a network connection. Each one of these clients must run the gems-client(1) program to establish connection and receive the transmitted data. Clients can connect and disconnect at any given time, but of course they will only receive the data that is transmitted while they are connected (just like a radio transmission/reception system). The gems system is normally used to transmit a console session and show it in various computers at the same time, but it is also possible to transmit any other kind of data. OPTIONS
-ip IP address where connections will be accepted. -port TCP port. Default: 6666. -maxconn Do not accept more than n simultaneous clients. Default: 25. -wait Wait until m clients are connected before starting the transmission. This is useful to ensure that the first m clients will receive all data transmitted. The default behavior is to start transmission immediately, without waiting for client connections. -log By default, the server does not write log messages. This option configures the destination of logs. The dest argument can be `sys- log' (to log through syslogd(8)), `stderr' (to log through standard error output), or it can be an arbitrary filename (log messages will be appended to the file, if it exists). -noscript By default, the server executes the script(1) program to take terminal data and transmit it. When this option is used the server will not run script, and data will be read form standard input. -script_bin Specifies the location of the script(1). program. Default: /usr/bin/script. -h Show a short help message. -v Show version information. FILES
/var/lock/gems-server.PORT Lock file. gems-server creates this file on initialization and deletes it on exit. PORT is replaced by the TCP port used. gems- server will not run if this file is already present in the system. AUTHORS
Diego Essaya <dessaya@fi.uba.ar> Emiliano Castagnari <ecastag@fi.uba.ar> SEE ALSO
gems-client(1), script(1), syslogd(8) gems AUGUST 2004 GEMS-SERVER(1)