Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Strange issue installing Java 8 Post 303020077 by hicksd8 on Thursday 12th of July 2018 05:04:26 PM
Old 07-12-2018
I'm with MadeInGermany and DukeNuke2 who are both on track but let me explain this the way I see it.

Normally apps look for Java at either /usr/java or /usr/lib/java (depending on exactly which O/S it is).

However, an installation of jre will install to something like /usr/jrel.8.n or whatever.

The key is that the install directory (e.g. /usr/jrel.8.1) needs to be linked to the apps expected location (e.g. /usr/java) like:

Code:
# cd /usr
# ln -s jrel.8.1 /usr/java

then java apps and java version query commands can find the installed jre.

If you had previous versions of jre installed and that directory is still linked to /usr/java (or /usr/lib/java) then your apps will see the old version.

You will need to research what directory your apps expect java to be in and what directory your jre 8 is in, and link them.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Java on Openserver 6

Forgive the sheer volume of verbiage: Sco Openserver 6 - how to install Java 1.42_14b: The documentation says: "Make a subdirectory and unwind the tar file into that subdirectory. mkdir JAVA142 cd JAVA142; tar -xf ../OSR6_Java2_142.VOLS.tar Run the Software Manager with the command: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LetSco
6 Replies

2. Solaris

Java Exceptions while installing Oracle

Hello. I was trying to installe oracle 10g on solaris t0 x86 and got few exception? Could you please suggest, what might be going wrong? $ ls -l total 32 drwxr-xr-x 9 oracle dba 512 Nov 21 03:50 doc drwxr-xr-x 5 oracle dba 512 Nov 21 03:50 install drwxr-xr-x 2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
5 Replies

3. HP-UX

installing java 5.0 in HPUX B11.11

please help me how to install java 5.0 in HPUX ...where can i download java 5.0 for HPUX? thanks winky (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: winky
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange issue

I have created a server monitor program in Java that connects to servers via SSH and constantly refreshes the new server load every 3 mins. The problem is that even though it is a Java app running shell commands to get the load info, the commands still appear in 'history'. The question is.. is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AndrewSH
1 Replies

5. Web Development

Strange Mysql issue

Hi all, I recently changed the name of my hostname from 'abc123' to 'abc456' (as an example). I then added a user in my mysql database with the new host and removed references to the old users and hostname. The strange thing is though, a process using the database still uses the old... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: muay_tb
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

help with installing java EE on fedora 14

Hi Forum Im a new to fedora and was wondering ,Can anybody direct me to a site that shows me how to install Java EE 6 SDK Update 1 (with JDK 6 Update 23) for fedora 14. NOT openjdk i need oracles java to develop a web app using tomcat 7.0 Any help would be much appreciated and thank you in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ShinTec
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Java Problems

Hello, When i attempt to install Java. I get this error code Can someone tell me what im doing wrong. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fob Upset
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange Issue with sendmail

more works.sh #!/bin/ksh { print "From: reportgenerator@myserver.com" print "To: randomguy@myfirm.com" print "MIME-Version: 1.0" print "Content-Type: text/html" print "Subject: Disk Report" print "<body>" print "<table border=1>" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
extcheck(1)						      General Commands Manual						       extcheck(1)

NAME
extcheck - jar conflict detection utility SYNOPSIS
extcheck [ -verbose ] [ -Joption ] targetfile.jar DESCRIPTION
The extcheck utility checks a specified jar file for title and version conflicts with any extensions installed in the JDK software. Before installing an extension, you can use this utility to see if the same or a more recent version of the extension is already installed. The extcheck utility compares the Specification-title and Specification-version headers in the manifest of targetfile.jar file against the corresponding headers in all Jar files currently installed in the extension directory. (The extension directory is jre/lib/ext by default.) The extcheck utility compares version numbers in the same way as the method java.lang.Package.isCompatibleWith. If no conflict is detected, the return code is 0. If the manifest of any jar file in the extensions directory has the same Specification-title and the same or a newer Specification-version number, a non-zero error code is returned. A non-zero error code is also returned if targetfile.jar does not have the Specification-title or Specification-version attributes in its manifest. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -verbose Lists jar files in the extension directory as they are checked. Additionally, manifest attributes of the target jar file and any conflicting jar files are also reported. -Joption Pass option to the Java virtual machine, where option is one of the options described on the man page for the java applica- tion launcher, java(1). For example, -J-Xms48m sets the startup memory to 48 megabytes. SEE ALSO
jar(1) 13 June 2000 extcheck(1)