Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Why does a fakechroot exist?
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Why does a fakechroot exist? Post 303020011 by hicksd8 on Thursday 12th of July 2018 04:12:45 AM
Old 07-12-2018
Yes, I believe that is true but also consider the scenario where a Solaris Global Zone boots a non-global zone and then sets (ie, changes) that non-global zones root directory with chroot. The parent (kernel) process of that non-global is now set to a different root directory and that affects all future users logging into that zone.

Therefore my understanding was that if the root user changed the root directory of the global zone kernel (PID 1) that would affect future users that log in??

Interesting discussion this!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

does it exist in linux?

Is there a jumpstart equivalent tool in the linux environment? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pbonilla
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

su: user x does not exist

somehow my user names and groups on one of our machines are changed to numbers 700, 701, etc. thus, i can only ssh into this machine as root. is there a way to migrate the user names and groups to this machine? thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user23
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

testing if files exist

I am trying to test arguments to see if they are files in any directory. I have : but it's not working (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: skooly5
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Group Exist Scripting

Hey People, I've got a question! How can i write a function in a script which is looking for if a group exist and if not, that the group "users" is the standard group..I know that i have to use "grep" und "if-else"..I will be very happy for answers ;) Greetz Ali (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AliC
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find out whether files exist.

I have the following data stored in a file. 1 /home/file13 /home/file2 2 /home/file41 /home/file654 3 /home/file61 /home/file45 4 /home/file81 /home/file43 ... I want to print the first column provided the files represented by the second and third column exist. How to do that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

if pid exist ?

Hi I need help to whit a script that start a program if a nother program is started first . I thought something like this . if then start program 2 Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pelle
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does ${%name} exist in csh?

I have this code in tcsh and would like to know whether the syntax below will work in csh. if( "${%rsl}" == 0 ) then echo "rsl is empty" endif ---------- Post updated at 06:38 AM ---------- Previous update was at 05:53 AM ---------- It does not seem so. Perhaps the best thing is to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help: Backfile if backup does not exist

I am trying to work on a script that will first check to see if a backup of a file exists, and if it does it will prompt the user to ask if he/she wants it replace. Of course, if the user says no then the file should be skipped. Here is the code I have written. Does it look as if it is working... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xshellscriptx
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Group Doesn't Exist

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I'm able to create a group but when I'm trying to delete the group it keeps stating Group Doesn't Exist. I know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoBoyGo
2 Replies
zcons(7D)							      Devices								 zcons(7D)

NAME
zcons - Zone console device driver DESCRIPTION
The zcons character driver exports the console for system zones. The driver is comprised of two "sides:" a master side with which applica- tions in the global zone communicate, and a slave side, which receives I/O from the master side. The slave side is available in the global zones. Applications must not depend on the location of /dev or /devices entries exported by zcons. Inside a zone, the zcons slave side is fronted by /dev/console and other console-related symbolic links, which are used by applications that expect to write to the system console. The zcons driver is Sun Private, and may change in future releases. FILES
/dev/zcons/<zonename>/masterconsole Global zone master side console for zone <zonename>. /dev/zcons/<zonename>/slaveconsole Global zone slave side console for zone <zonename>. /dev/zconsole Non-global zone console (slave side). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | Interface Stability |Sun Private | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
zoneadm(1M), zonecfg(1M), attributes(5), zones(5) SunOS 5.11 24 Aug 2003 zcons(7D)