Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Why does a fakechroot exist?
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Why does a fakechroot exist? Post 303019968 by hicksd8 on Wednesday 11th of July 2018 10:03:20 AM
Old 07-11-2018
Such tools are to allow an (ordinary) user to create a root environment within their little bubble WITHOUT affecting anyone else on the system. It all happens within their individual user space. They do NOT get any enhanced privileges.

As I say, within their little bubble only.

For example, they could install a software package within their own 'fake root' and the install routine would be lead to believe that it was installing on the main system but it's not.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

does it exist in linux?

Is there a jumpstart equivalent tool in the linux environment? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pbonilla
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

su: user x does not exist

somehow my user names and groups on one of our machines are changed to numbers 700, 701, etc. thus, i can only ssh into this machine as root. is there a way to migrate the user names and groups to this machine? thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user23
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

testing if files exist

I am trying to test arguments to see if they are files in any directory. I have : but it's not working (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: skooly5
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Group Exist Scripting

Hey People, I've got a question! How can i write a function in a script which is looking for if a group exist and if not, that the group "users" is the standard group..I know that i have to use "grep" und "if-else"..I will be very happy for answers ;) Greetz Ali (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AliC
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find out whether files exist.

I have the following data stored in a file. 1 /home/file13 /home/file2 2 /home/file41 /home/file654 3 /home/file61 /home/file45 4 /home/file81 /home/file43 ... I want to print the first column provided the files represented by the second and third column exist. How to do that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

if pid exist ?

Hi I need help to whit a script that start a program if a nother program is started first . I thought something like this . if then start program 2 Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pelle
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does ${%name} exist in csh?

I have this code in tcsh and would like to know whether the syntax below will work in csh. if( "${%rsl}" == 0 ) then echo "rsl is empty" endif ---------- Post updated at 06:38 AM ---------- Previous update was at 05:53 AM ---------- It does not seem so. Perhaps the best thing is to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help: Backfile if backup does not exist

I am trying to work on a script that will first check to see if a backup of a file exists, and if it does it will prompt the user to ask if he/she wants it replace. Of course, if the user says no then the file should be skipped. Here is the code I have written. Does it look as if it is working... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xshellscriptx
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Group Doesn't Exist

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I'm able to create a group but when I'm trying to delete the group it keeps stating Group Doesn't Exist. I know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoBoyGo
2 Replies
updmerge(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       updmerge(8)

NAME
updmerge - DO NOT USE THE updmerge UTILITY! SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/updmerge [-r] directory /usr/bin/updmerge directory /usr/bin/updmerge file directory OPTIONS
Performs a recursive reinstallation of all the files and subdirectories in the /var/adm/install/update area relative to the specified directory. OPERANDS
Specifies the directory from which the reinstallation is relative, typically the root (/) directory. Specifies the name of a file in the update area, or specifies the relative pathname of that file from the update area. DESCRIPTION
Caution DO NOT USE THE updmerge UTILITY! The updmerge utility lets you merge files that have been preserved from a previous installation into a new installation environment. Any user file or customized file from a previous installation that you do not want replaced or overwritten can be saved and reintegrated into a new installation environment. You must have superuser privileges to invoke the updmerge utility, and the system must be in single-user mode. The updmerge utility must be invoked from the /var/adm/install/update directory, which is created by the updmv utility and contains entries for the files that have been preserved from the previous installation. Use the -r option followed by the directory operand to perform a recursive installation of all preserved subdirectories under the /var/adm/install/update area relative to a specific directory. Use the directory operand only to install only those preserved files directly under the /var/adm/install/update directory. This causes a non-recursive merge of the files in the specified directory. If you use the directory operand only, subdirectories in /var/adm/install/update are not merged into the new installation environment. Use the file operand followed by the directory operand to install a single preserved file. This file can be the name of the file in the /var/adm/install/update directory, or it can contain the relative pathname of that file from the /var/adm/install/update directory. If the file operand is a directory name instead of a file name, the updmerge utility reinstalls all files in that directory, but none in its subdirectories. To integrate files from the previous installation into the new installation environment, the updmerge utility compares each preserved file to the newly installed files with the following rules: If the preserved file does not exist on the system, you can view the preserved file before determining whether or not to install it. If the preserved file does exist on the system, you can view the differences between the preserved file and the newly installed file before selecting the file you want installed on the system. If a preserved file is identical to a newly installed file, a message is issued and the next file is checked. EXAMPLES
Recursively install all preserved subdirectories and files under /var/adm/install/update relative to the root (/) directory: updmerge -r / Install the preserved /etc/hosts file relative to the root (/) directory: updmerge etc/hosts / Install the preserved files in the etc directory relative to the root (/) directory (in this case, /etc): updmerge etc / RESTRICTIONS
Caution DO NOT USE THE updmerge UTILITY! You must have superuser privileges to invoke the updmerge utility. The system must be in single-user mode before you invoke the updmerge utility. The updmerge utility must be invoked from the /var/adm/install/update directory. FILES
Storage area created by the updmv utility. SEE ALSO
genufi(8), invsync(8), updmv(8), udetect(8), usync(8) stl_inv(4) updmerge(8)