Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Dev/urandom and dev/random missing in HP-UX Post 303019950 by rashi on Tuesday 10th of July 2018 10:55:09 PM
Old 07-10-2018
Dev/urandom and dev/random missing in HP-UX

Hi,

I want to know which package will contain "dev/urandom and dev/random"

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 07-11-2018 at 01:24 AM.. Reason: This post was merged and edited from a double thread.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/fb* missing

I am trying to run openwin on Solaris 5.8, but get an error: /dev/fb: No such file or directory Graphics Adapter device /dev/fb is of unknown type Fatal server error: InitOutput: Error loading module for /dev/fb giving up. /usr/openwin/bin/xinit: Connection refused (errno 146): ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: heinb
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/urandom

Hi, how do I use /dev/urandom to generate a single number between 1-100? I can od /dev/urandom but it gives me an endless list of random numbers, I just want 1 between 1-100. How can I get that? Thanks. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Takumi
12 Replies

3. AIX

missing /dev/ipldevice

Hello I was doing a mksysb and was given an error message that my /dev/ipldevice was missing. when i do an lslv -m hd5 i get the following output: LP PP1 PV1 PP2 PV2 PP3 PV3 0001 0001 hdisk0 0002 0002 hdisk0 I check other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhenryj
3 Replies

4. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

5. SuSE

/dev/sg7 missing

Hello all. I have a device thats suposed to be /dev/sg7 but when I do "ls -laF /dev/sg*" all sgXX are there from 0 to 15 except 7. what is going wrong:mad:. Please its urgent:wall: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eXadra
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Lun remove, stuck in /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk

So, we removed a LUN from the SAN and the system is refusing to remove the references to it in the /dev folder. I've done the following: devfsadm -Cv powermt -q luxadm -e offline <drive path> luxadm probe All those commands failed to remove the path. The drive stills shows up as <drive... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: DustinT
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to generate a file with random data. /dev/[u]random doesn't exist.

Need to use dd to generate a large file from a sample file of random data. This is because I don't have /dev/urandom. I create a named pipe then: dd if=mynamed.fifo do=myfile.fifo bs=1024 count=1024 but when I cat a file to the fifo that's 1024 random bytes: cat randomfile.txt >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating partitioning setup of /dev/sda on /dev/sdc

Objective: To recreate the partitioning setup of /dev/sda on /dev/sdc How would I parse the below information and initialize variables (an array?) that can be used to build sgdisk commands in a script, regardless of the number of partitions? Something along the lines of: sgdisk -n... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: RogerBaran
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cmd 'cat /dev/urandom' not closing cleanly

Hi I'm running the following command to generate a random password in a KSH script on a RHEL Linux VM but for some reason the cmd is not being closed and it's causing problems on the host. PASSWORD="$(cat /dev/urandom | tr -dc "a-zA-Z0-9" | fold -w 16 | head -1)Aa0!" The code worked as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
2 Replies
RANDOM(4)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 RANDOM(4)

NAME
random, urandom - kernel random number source devices DESCRIPTION
The character special files /dev/random and /dev/urandom (present since Linux 1.3.30) provide an interface to the kernel's random number generator. File /dev/random has major device number 1 and minor device number 8. File /dev/urandom has major device number 1 and minor device number 9. The random number generator gathers environmental noise from device drivers and other sources into an entropy pool. The generator also keeps an estimate of the number of bit of the noise in the entropy pool. From this entropy pool random numbers are created. When read, the /dev/random device will only return random bytes within the estimated number of bits of noise in the entropy pool. /dev/random should be suitable for uses that need very high quality randomness such as one-time pad or key generation. When the entropy pool is empty, reads to /dev/random will block until additional environmental noise is gathered. When read, /dev/urandom device will return as many bytes as are requested. As a result, if there is not sufficient entropy in the entropy pool, the returned values are theoretically vulnerable to a cryptographic attack on the algorithms used by the driver. Knowledge of how to do this is not available in the current non-classified literature, but it is theoretically possible that such an attack may exist. If this is a concern in your application, use /dev/random instead. CONFIGURING
If your system does not have /dev/random and /dev/urandom created already, they can be created with the following commands: mknod -m 644 /dev/random c 1 8 mknod -m 644 /dev/urandom c 1 9 chown root:root /dev/random /dev/urandom When a Linux system starts up without much operator interaction, the entropy pool may be in a fairly predictable state. This reduces the actual amount of noise in the entropy pool below the estimate. In order to counteract this effect, it helps to carry entropy pool informa- tion across shut-downs and start-ups. To do this, add the following lines to an appropriate script which is run during the Linux system start-up sequence: echo "Initializing kernel random number generator..." # Initialize kernel random number generator with random seed # from last shut-down (or start-up) to this start-up. Load and # then save 512 bytes, which is the size of the entropy pool. if [ -f /var/random-seed ]; then cat /var/random-seed >/dev/urandom fi dd if=/dev/urandom of=/var/random-seed count=1 Also, add the following lines in an appropriate script which is run during the Linux system shutdown: # Carry a random seed from shut-down to start-up for the random # number generator. Save 512 bytes, which is the size of the # random number generator's entropy pool. echo "Saving random seed..." dd if=/dev/urandom of=/var/random-seed count=1 FILES
/dev/random /dev/urandom AUTHOR
The kernel's random number generator was written by Theodore Ts'o (tytso@athena.mit.edu). SEE ALSO
mknod (1) RFC 1750, "Randomness Recommendations for Security" Linux 1997-08-01 RANDOM(4)