Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Cannot start system-log on Solaris 10 Post 303018915 by hicksd8 on Tuesday 19th of June 2018 05:55:56 AM
Old 06-19-2018
I would be looking long and hard for possible formating errors in syslog.conf.

Also did you remember to:

Code:
# svcadm refresh system/system-log

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Log for Sun Solaris 2.6

G'day. I have some questions on the Sun Solaris 2.6 OS. I would appreciate if you could refer me some write up or information on the following questions. 1. Terminal Time Out feature ? - Is this OS capable of doing this ? If the terminal is idle for a certain time of period. The system should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tbtan
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

how to start the x window system

hi, am new to hp-ux, i just bought an hp-ux with the hp-ux 11.0 os, is very old, and i wnat to start the x window system but it send an error that said that couldn't open the x server, i try startx, xinit, and nothing, and also where i can find tutorials for hp-ux os for beginners (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nobody
7 Replies

3. SCO

System will not start

I am running OpenServer 5.0.5a on a Compaq Proliant 800. When trying to start the system it goes through loading everything and at the end I get the following message. WARNING: hd: no root disk controller was found H iinit ime Loadable Driver May be requiredG drain8042 PANIC: srmontfun -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karlb1
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job at system start up

I want to know if there is a way to make a certain set of programs start in order at system startup with cron or something else i dont know about. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcunn87
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i reinstall unix or solaris if i can't log into the system?

I just got a Sun solaris workstation from my friend but i don't know the password to his username. I have all the software but i dont know how to reinstall the operating system without logging in first. I dont need any of the info already on the system. Someone please help :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hoops31237
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Xend cannot start in my system

Hi all,,i'm sorry if my post is repost..but i'm need help about my problem... My specifications is : Sony Vaio VGN CR-323 Intel Dual-Core T2390(1.86 GHz) Memory 2GB DDR Harddisk 200GB with Debian lenny 2.6.26-1-686 i'm install xen via apt-get install xen blah..blah blah root@hell:~#... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: demhyt
4 Replies

7. AIX

Q: how to start a service when system start

As topic, assume we have a service called "blahservice" and we can start it by: startsrc -s blahservice what is the best practice to run such command when system start? - directly use mkitab to add it into /etc/inittab or - drop startup scripts in /etc/rc.d/rcX.d I know they... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: acerlinux
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Adding hdparm to system start-up

Hi, I have read about a vulnerability that allows to lock any IDE/SATA hard drive with a password, unless the BIOS "freezes" the drive's (no-password) status. Even though less secure, this protection can also be archieved by software (only few BIOSes have that feature). hdparm offers a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gunther
4 Replies

9. Solaris

How to start system console in ELOM?

Hi, The system is Sun x4150. I use putty ssh to access to it. I can't start system console: (hung) Any help will be greatly appreciated! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
5 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

How to start in System Administration?

Hi all, I wonder if you guys could give me some advice on this. I have messed around with Linux for the last few years, and I'm at the point where I would like to become a system administrator - as a career. I already have a bachelor's degree, but it is in the humanities (art history) so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScottLew
2 Replies
SYSLOG(8)                                                         System Logging                                                         SYSLOG(8)

NAME
syslog-ng, syslogd DESCRIPTION
There are different syslog daemon implementations supported as the system's syslog service, currently syslogd, syslog-ng and rsyslogd The first installed daemon activates itself for the syslog service. Starting with openSUSE-11.2, it is rsyslogd, before it was syslog-ng. But this depends on the software selection during the installation. The name of the daemon used as syslog service is specified in the SYSLOG_DAEMON variable in /etc/sysconfig/syslog. The yast2 sysconfig module provides a comfortable way to switch to another installed daemon and restart the service. The /etc/init.d/syslog init script is able to handle all supported daemons. BUGS
Please report bugs at <http://www.suse.de/feedback> AUTHOR
Juergen Weigert <jw@novell.com> Marius Tomaschewski <mt@novell.com> SEE ALSO
sysklogd(8) syslogd(8) syslog.conf(5) syslog-ng(8) syslog-ng.conf(5) rsyslogd(8) rsyslog.conf(5) syslog May 2008 SYSLOG(8)