Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Wrong Array...
The Lounge War Stories Wrong Array... Post 303018673 by gull04 on Wednesday 13th of June 2018 03:31:41 AM
Old 06-13-2018
Hi Guys,

This also goes back around 25 years when in the space of two weeks I was involved in two power switch incidents in the space of two weeks. The first incident was on a trading floor in the Minories in London, on a Data General Aviion system an 8550 I think. Anyway, while getting ready for a very short outage on the system - I found out that the Grey import that this company had sneaked onto the contract had a power interlock on one of the Zeus fasteners on the rear panel of the system.

The other incident was much more humerous from my perspective at least.

Whilst going past a comms room in a fairly deserted part of the building, my attention was attracted by shouts for help. I went into the comms room to see one of the software developers perched cross legged on a swivel chair infront of a big (for it's time) Data General Clariion Disk Array (60 Bay I think), when I asked what the problem was I did have to struggle to keep a straigh face.

The developer had spun round on his chair and the pointed toe of his shoe had depressed the power button on the array, he had had the common sense to not move so the button hadn't popped out and dropped the array power - but he'd been there for about an hour and was now suffering cramps.

Fortunately there was enough space to get a finger in and hold the button down, whilst we got a clean shutdown of the application and the system. However the developer had to be helped out of the swivel chair by others as we just left him there while verything was brought down.

The Clariion power button was modified with a Domestos bottle top, which had a hole cut in it being Araldited over the offending button.

Ah the good old days.

Regards

Gull04
This User Gave Thanks to gull04 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

create array holding characters from sring then echo array.

Hi, I wish to store $string1 in $string1array a character in each array element. Then i wish to echo the entire array to the screen so that it reads as the normal string again. I have been trying with the code below but does not work. Please help... To put string into array: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rorey_breaker
5 Replies

2. Programming

Creating an array to hold posix thread ids: Only dynamic array works

I am facing a strange error while creating posix threads: Given below are two snippets of code, the first one works whereas the second one gives a garbage value in the output. Snippet 1 This works: -------------- int *threadids; threadids = (int *) malloc (num_threads * sizeof(int)); ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmehta
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP: Search Multi-Dimensional(nested) array and export values of currenly worked on array.

Hi All, I'm writing a nagios check that will see if our ldap servers are in sync... I got the status data into a nested array, I would like to search key of each array and if "OK" is NOT present, echo other key=>values in the current array to a variable so...eg...let take the single array... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zeekblack
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl, put one array into many array when field is equal to sth

Hi Everyone, #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; my @test=("a;b;qqq;c;d","a;b;ggg;c;d","a;b;qqq;c;d"); would like to split the @test array into two array: @test1=(("a;b;qqq;c;d","a;b;qqq;c;d"); and @test2=("a;b;ggg;c;d"); means search for 3rd filed. Thanks find the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store all the passed arguments in an array and display the array

Hi I want to write a script which store all the parameters passed to the script into an array. Once it is stored I want scan through the array and and delete those files for last month present inside the directory. The files in directory is appneded with YYYY_MM_DD. I want to know how can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array in Perl - Detect several file to be in one array

Hi everyone I have one question about using array in perl. let say I have several log file in one folder.. example test1.log test2.log test3.log and the list goes on.. how to make an array for this file? It suppose to detect log file in the current directory and all the log file will... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sayachop
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : Read an array and write to another array with intial string pattern checks

I have an array and two variables as below, I need to check if $datevar is present in $filename. If so, i need to replace $filename with the values in the array. I need the output inside an ARRAY How can this be done. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why result is wrong here ? whether break statement is wrong ?

Hi ! all I am just trying to check range in my datafile pls tell me why its resulting wrong admin@IEEE:~/Desktop$ cat test.txt 0 28.4 5 28.4 10 28.4 15 28.5 20 28.5 25 28.6 30 28.6 35 28.7 40 28.7 45 28.7 50 28.8 55 28.8 60 28.8 65 28.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash 3.2 - Array / Regex - IF 3rd member in array ends in 5 digits then do somthing...

Trying to do some control flow parsing based on the index postion of an array member. Here is the pseudo code I am trying to write in (preferably in pure bash) where possible. I am thinking regex with do the trick, but need a little help. pesudo code if == ENDSINFIVEINTS ]]; then do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash arrays: rebin/interpolate smaller array to large array

hello, i need a bit of help on how to do this effectively in bash without a lot of extra looping or massive switch/case i have a long array of M elements and a short array of N elements, so M > N always. M is not a multiple of N. for case 1, I want to stretch N to fit M arrayHuge H = (... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
2 Replies
SYSMON_PSWITCH(9)					   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual					 SYSMON_PSWITCH(9)

NAME
sysmon_pswitch -- framework for power switches SYNOPSIS
#include <dev/sysmon/sysmonvar.h> int sysmon_pswitch_register(struct sysmon_pswitch *smpsw); void sysmon_pswitch_unregister(struct sysmon_pswitch *smpsw); void sysmon_pswitch_event(struct sysmon_pswitch *smpsw, int event); DESCRIPTION
The machine-independent sysmon_pswitch provides a framework for power management. The interface has been largely superceded by the pmf(9) framework, but sysmon_pswitch is still used to manage power switches as well as related mechanical adapters and buttons. These are encapsu- lated in the following structure: struct sysmon_pswitch { const char *smpsw_name; /* power switch name */ int smpsw_type; /* power switch type */ LIST_ENTRY(sysmon_pswitch) smpsw_list; }; Unsurprisingly, smpsw_name specifies the name of the power switch and smpsw_type defines the type of it. The following types are defined: PSWITCH_TYPE_POWER PSWITCH_TYPE_SLEEP PSWITCH_TYPE_LID PSWITCH_TYPE_RESET PSWITCH_TYPE_ACADAPTER PSWITCH_TYPE_HOTKEY If the type is PSWITCH_TYPE_HOTKEY, there are few predefined names that can be used for smpsw_name: PSWITCH_HK_DISPLAY_CYCLE display-cycle PSWITCH_HK_LOCK_SCREEN lock-screen PSWITCH_HK_BATTERY_INFO battery-info PSWITCH_HK_EJECT_BUTTON eject-button PSWITCH_HK_ZOOM_BUTTON zoom-button PSWITCH_HK_VENDOR_BUTTON vendor-button Once a power switch event has been proceeded, sysmon_pswitch will inform the user space powerd(8), which will possibly execute a script matching the type of the power switch. FUNCTIONS
After the sysmon_pswitch structure has been initialized, a new power switch device can be registered by using sysmon_pswitch_register(). The device can be detached from the framework by sysmon_pswitch_unregister(). The sysmon_pswitch_event() is used to signal a new power switch event. There are two possibilities for the value of event: PSWITCH_EVENT_PRESSED A button has been pressed, the lid has been closed, the AC adapter is off, etc. PSWITCH_EVENT_RELEASED A button has been released, the lid is open, the AC adapter is on, etc. The corresponding events in powerd(8) are pressed and released. SEE ALSO
powerd(8), pmf(9), sysmon_envsys(9), sysmon_taskq(9) AUTHORS
Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@NetBSD.org> BSD
January 26, 2010 BSD