Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? UNIX.COM General Data Privacy Regulations (GDPR) Compliance - For Member Comments Post 303018554 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 10th of June 2018 10:15:59 AM
Old 06-10-2018
@Rudi - can there not be some kind of actual privacy threat? I encountered some posts (elsewhere) written by a guy who was doing a post doc. He was critical of someone's work - the same person to whom he is now applying for a faculty position.

Ignoring the fact that kind of criticism is not always okay to start with, we did edit out some few lines of two posts.

This kind of thing happens because moderators cannot read everything problematic that gets posted here, unless we are notified of a problem.

So, we can end up in a position like that. I'm not sure that type of thing is directly privacy related.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

General Unix Questions !!

1. How do we know what is my machine name and what is its IP address? (in Solaris) 2. If i want to know the amount of physical CPUs a Unix Box possesses (LINUX and/or Solaris) then what command i have to look. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

General UNIX Query

Hi all, I am having putty in my system.But I dont have access to any UNIX Servers.Is there any default or common UNIX Server so that anyone can access and be familiar with UNIX and Shell scripting. I want to work and practice in UNIX..Thats why I am asking this question. Kindly give me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave_nithis
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Few general unix qns..URGENT!!

hey guys, I have a few general qns on unix, so I'd appreciate quick responses. 1. How do u read a file line by line and display its contents using KSH? 2. How to kill a process using only the name? 3. How to create an empty file with 1MB memory size? 4. How to append some content to an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasuke_uchiha
2 Replies

4. Programming

Using General Data Structure Library (GDSL)

Dear All, I would appreciate if some one could please post a few examples using GDSL library. The library provides general data structure operations. I am having confusion using list data structure regarding arguments. Would appreciate your kind response. with regards, Usman (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: usman_minhas
2 Replies

5. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Privacy Policy for The UNIX and Linux Forums

Privacy Policy for The UNIX and Linux Forums If you require any more information or have any questions about our privacy policy, please feel free to contact us by email or post your question as a reply to this thread. At The UNIX and Linux Forums, the privacy of our visitors is of extreme... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

General Unix Error Logging?

Yesterday evening my server appeared to fall over. I couldn't copy (scp) files to it, and I couldn't SSH to it either. Every time I tried, it just gave me this message: Read from remote host <IP ADDRESS>: Connection reset by peer Connection to <IP ADDRESS> closed. I got in this morning, and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dave Stockdale
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Privacy In a UNIX Server Environment

I am dealing with a privacy issue that I am unable to solve. Essentially, there is a .sas file saved on a UNIX Server. I am interested in changing permissions etc so that: 1. The .sas file can only be altered by the owner. 2. The contents of the .sas file can not be viewed (there is sensitive... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adtuck
3 Replies
METADATA(1)                                                        User Commands                                                       METADATA(1)

NAME
MAT - Metadata Anonymisation Toolkit SYNOPSIS
mat [options] files mat-gui DESCRIPTION
The Metadata Anonymisation Toolkit is a lib (with a CLI and a GUI) created to anonymise file's metadata. In essence, metadata answer who, what, when, where, why, and how about every face of the data that are being documented. They can be a risk for privacy. OPTIONS
-h, --help show this help message and exit -a, --add2archive Add to outputed archive non-supported filetypes -b, --backup Keep a backup copy -c, --check Check if a file is free of harmful metadatas -d, --display List all the harmful meta of a file without removing them -f, --force Don't check if files are clean before cleaning -l, --list List all supported fileformat -v, --version Display version and exit EXAMPLES
mat --display mydocument.pdf Display the mydocument.pdf's harmful metadata mat --check *.jpg Check all the jpg images from the current folder NOTES
MAT only process metadata, it does not handle file data. Blame yourself if you are traced back because of the data of your files. MAT is not perfect : In most of the cases, a forensic expert with a lot of time can trace back your document. If you want absolute privacy, use plain-text. AUTHOR
Julien (jvoisin) Voisin <pouicpouicpouic@gmail.com>, during the GSoC 2011 BUGS
MAT does not handle watermaking/tattoo for now. SEE ALSO
exiftool, hachoir-metadata Metadata Anonymisation Toolkit August 2011 METADATA(1)