Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Merge multiple columns into one using cat Post 303018031 by geomarine on Sunday 27th of May 2018 08:29:27 AM
Old 05-27-2018
Thanks RavinderSingh13 and Scrutinizer . I check to see if there are carriage returns with:
Code:
cat -v Input_file

result:
Code:
cat -v file3.txt 
1234^M
1234^M
1234aaaa^M
bbbb^M
cccc^M
dddd

using this command suggested:
Code:
tr -d '\r' < file1.txt > temp_file && mv temp_file file1.txt

the carriage return was removed. However, the result is still same:
Code:
1234aaaa
bbbb
cccc
dddd

when I use this command:
Code:
echo | cat file1.txt - file2.txt > file3.txt

the result is:
Code:
123412341234aaaabbbbccccdddd

I am using BASH shell.

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 05-27-2018 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

use of sed over cat to merge files

I have three files, basically: file 1 - one line header file 2 - big data (approx 80GB) file 3 - a one line trailer the existing process cats these together i.e cat file 1 file 2 file 3 however... I was thinking, surely it could be more efficient to insert the header (file 1) on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miwinter
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to merge rows into columns ????

Hi guz I want to merge multiple rows into a multiple columns based on the first column. The file has symbol // I want to break the symbool // and I nedd exactlynew column at that point the output will be like this please guyz help in this isssue!!!!! merging rows into columns ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bogu0001
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge columns

Hi all - I have a file like below: A: A1,A2,A3,A4 B: 1,2,3,4 C: z,y,x,w .... This format repeats The output should come in a single line merging the first line field with the other two rows: A1_1 A1_z A2_2 A2_y A3_3 A3_x A4_4 A4_w Could anyone help with some directions ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakgang
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge columns of different files

Hi, I have tab limited file 1 and tab limited file 2 The output should contain common first column vales and corresponding 2nd column values; AND also unique first column value with corresponding 2nd column value of the file that contains it and 0 for the second file. the output should... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: polsum
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I merge multiple columns into one column?

Hi all, I'm looking for a way to merge multiple columns (from one file) into a single column in an output file. The file I have looks somewhat like this: @HWI-ST212 1:N:0 AGTCCTACCGGGAGT + @@@DDDDDHHHHHII @HWI-ST212 1:N:0 CGTTTAAAAATTTCT + @;@B;DDDDH?:F;F... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vnguyen
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge columns from multiple files

Hi all, I've searched the web for a long time trying to figure out how to merge columns from multiple files. I know paste will append columns like so: paste file1 file2 file3 file4 file5 ... But this becomes inconvenient when you want to append a large number of files into a single file. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge columns on different files

Hello, I have two files that have this format: file 1 86.82 0.00 86.82 43.61 86.84 0.00 86.84 43.61 86.86 0.00 86.86 43.61 86.88 0.00 86.88 43.61 file 2 86.82 0.22 86.84 0.22 86.86 0.22 86.88 0.22 I would like to merge these two files such that the final file looks like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayak
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge records based on multiple columns

Hi, I have a file with 16 columns and out of these 16 columns 14 are key columns, 15 th is order column and 16th column is having information. I need to concate the 16th column based on value of 1-14th column as key in order of 15th column. Here are the example file Input File (multiple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Agrawal
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge columns from multiple files

Hello and Good day I have a lot of files with same number of rows and columns.$2 and $3 are the same in all files . I need to merge $2,$3,$6 from first file and $6 from another files. File1: $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali.seifaddini
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join and merge multiple files with duplicate key and fill void columns

Join and merge multiple files with duplicate key and fill void columns Hi guys, I have many files that I want to merge: file1.csv: 1|abc 1|def 2|ghi 2|jkl 3|mno 3|pqr file2.csv: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yjacknewton
5 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('arevela','alpha'); $lvar = code2langvar('arevela',LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-04-12 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3)