Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Merge multiple columns into one using cat Post 303018024 by RavinderSingh13 on Sunday 27th of May 2018 02:52:47 AM
Old 05-27-2018
Hello geomarine,

It is working well and fine for me and moreover I am getting different Input_file(s) output from new line only as follows.

Code:

cat file1.TXT file2.TXT > file3.TXT
cat file3.TXT
aaaa
bbbb
cccc
dddd

Could you please check once if your Input_file is having carriage returns in it? By doing cat -v Input_file if yes then kindly remove them from following command.

Code:

tr -d '\r' < Input_file > temp_file && mv temp_file Input_file

Let us know how it goes then, I hope this helps.

Thanks,
R. Singh
This User Gave Thanks to RavinderSingh13 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

use of sed over cat to merge files

I have three files, basically: file 1 - one line header file 2 - big data (approx 80GB) file 3 - a one line trailer the existing process cats these together i.e cat file 1 file 2 file 3 however... I was thinking, surely it could be more efficient to insert the header (file 1) on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miwinter
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to merge rows into columns ????

Hi guz I want to merge multiple rows into a multiple columns based on the first column. The file has symbol // I want to break the symbool // and I nedd exactlynew column at that point the output will be like this please guyz help in this isssue!!!!! merging rows into columns ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bogu0001
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge columns

Hi all - I have a file like below: A: A1,A2,A3,A4 B: 1,2,3,4 C: z,y,x,w .... This format repeats The output should come in a single line merging the first line field with the other two rows: A1_1 A1_z A2_2 A2_y A3_3 A3_x A4_4 A4_w Could anyone help with some directions ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakgang
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge columns of different files

Hi, I have tab limited file 1 and tab limited file 2 The output should contain common first column vales and corresponding 2nd column values; AND also unique first column value with corresponding 2nd column value of the file that contains it and 0 for the second file. the output should... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: polsum
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I merge multiple columns into one column?

Hi all, I'm looking for a way to merge multiple columns (from one file) into a single column in an output file. The file I have looks somewhat like this: @HWI-ST212 1:N:0 AGTCCTACCGGGAGT + @@@DDDDDHHHHHII @HWI-ST212 1:N:0 CGTTTAAAAATTTCT + @;@B;DDDDH?:F;F... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vnguyen
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge columns from multiple files

Hi all, I've searched the web for a long time trying to figure out how to merge columns from multiple files. I know paste will append columns like so: paste file1 file2 file3 file4 file5 ... But this becomes inconvenient when you want to append a large number of files into a single file. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge columns on different files

Hello, I have two files that have this format: file 1 86.82 0.00 86.82 43.61 86.84 0.00 86.84 43.61 86.86 0.00 86.86 43.61 86.88 0.00 86.88 43.61 file 2 86.82 0.22 86.84 0.22 86.86 0.22 86.88 0.22 I would like to merge these two files such that the final file looks like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayak
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge records based on multiple columns

Hi, I have a file with 16 columns and out of these 16 columns 14 are key columns, 15 th is order column and 16th column is having information. I need to concate the 16th column based on value of 1-14th column as key in order of 15th column. Here are the example file Input File (multiple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Agrawal
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge columns from multiple files

Hello and Good day I have a lot of files with same number of rows and columns.$2 and $3 are the same in all files . I need to merge $2,$3,$6 from first file and $6 from another files. File1: $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali.seifaddini
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join and merge multiple files with duplicate key and fill void columns

Join and merge multiple files with duplicate key and fill void columns Hi guys, I have many files that I want to merge: file1.csv: 1|abc 1|def 2|ghi 2|jkl 3|mno 3|pqr file2.csv: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yjacknewton
5 Replies
merge(1)						      General Commands Manual							  merge(1)

NAME
merge - three-way file merge SYNOPSIS
file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
combines two files that are revisions of a single original file. The original file is file2, and the revised files are file1 and file3. identifies all changes that lead from file2 to file3 and from file2 to file1, then deposits the merged text into file1. If the option is used, the result goes to standard output instead of file1. An overlap occurs if both file1 and file3 have changes in the same place. prints how many overlaps occurred, and includes both alterna- tives in the result. The alternatives are delimited as follows: lines in file1 lines in file3 If there are overlaps, edit the result in file1 and delete one of the alternatives. This command is particularly useful for revision control, especially if file1 and file3 are the ends of two branches that have file2 as a common ancestor. EXAMPLES
A typical use for is as follows: 1. To merge an RCS branch into the trunk, first check out the three different versions from RCS (see co(1)) and rename them for their revision numbers: 5.2, 5.11, and 5.2.3.3. File 5.2.3.3 is the end of an RCS branch that split off the trunk at file 5.2. 2. For this example, assume file 5.11 is the latest version on the trunk, and is also a revision of the "original" file, 5.2. Merge the branch into the trunk with the command: 3. File 5.11 now contains all changes made on the branch and the trunk, and has markings in the file to show all overlapping changes. 4. Edit file 5.11 to correct the overlaps, then use the command to check the file back in (see ci(1)). WARNINGS
uses the ed(1) system editor. Therefore, the file size limits of ed(1) apply to AUTHOR
was developed by Walter F. Tichy. SEE ALSO
diff3(1), diff(1), rcsmerge(1), co(1). merge(1)