Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell commands and ps and server logs Post 303017791 by cptkirkh on Tuesday 22nd of May 2018 01:05:16 PM
Old 05-22-2018
The oracle DB is hosted on the same server and yes i am using alter user. What i am really trying to determine is if i create a password on the fly inside of a script and assign it to a variable and then sqlplus in via oracle wallet will they variable that holds the password be viewable by someone snooping on the server? I would assume if they were good enough and got ahold of either the oracle account or the root account on the server then yes they would. Would those be the only two?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to view logs of a server

Please share a shell script to collect logs of a server (like cpu utilization, memory etc) for a perticular time interval by giving date, time and server name as input. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhishek27
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can BASH execute commands on a remote server when the commands are embedded in shell

I want to log into a remote server transfer over a new config and then backup the existing config, replace with the new config. I am not sure if I can do this with BASH scripting. I have set up password less login by adding my public key to authorized_keys file, it works. I am a little... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Server Logs - Samba and Netatalk

I have installed a linux file server and it works great. At my location we have a mix of Mac & Windows systems. Netatalk and Samba are setup on the server. The problem is recently someone has deleted file or files haven't been put on the server properly. Two different departments are pointing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: odysseus1977
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Sending all apache logs to Syslog Server

Hi All, I need to send all apache logs to local syslog and then to syslog server (STRM – Security Threat response manager). I follow these steps:- vi /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf Added these lines :- ErrorLog syslog:local1 LogLevel notice Then in syslog.conf:- local1.crit... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidhurana
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Login and logout logs in server

Hi, Can you please let me know how can and where we will find the logs. ie,which user is login and logout from server and by using which ip address they accessed server. please let me know the steps and folder, file names to trace the logs from server . we are using System = SunOS 5.10. Please... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kancherla.sree
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

logs of commands performed by users

Hi, when 2 users are logged as root , how can i find witch one had perform witch command? Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for viewing multiple logs from multiple server

I am new to Shell scripting and below is my requirement. I need to search some specific word e.g. "exception" or "transaction" from log file. We have multiple env e.g. Level1 , Level2 etc and each env have Multiple boxes e.g. For Level 1 env we have "test11.test.com" , "test12.test.com". Each... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: peeyush
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Comprehensive Disk & Server Logs.

Hello All, I'm using a RHEL6.4 on IBM X3850 X5 server. I want to get a comprehensive report containing disk-wise health status as well as overall server status. I see there's utility "ibm_utl_dsa_dsytd3h-9.51_portable_rhel6_x86-64.bin" which is also used to do diagnostics tasks. I'm not sure of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaibhavvsk
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to keep server out of logs?

Hi, there you may read some anonymous services like VPN service dont keep logs of their members activity. So i want to ask how i can make my personal linux servers be without any logs of accessing IPs, hostnames. I know there is "/var/log/lastlog", but are there any other files in default... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
2 Replies

10. Open Source

Shell script file movement to a Mail Box server using ftp commands

Hi All, I have a current Process that runs "windows script " for the file movement that needs to changed to a "DataStage Process (Using shell script )" Source :Text file is getting generated as part of Datastage Jobs processes and resides in a shared drive (Unix server) Target :ftp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: developer.dwh9
2 Replies
RANDOM(4)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 RANDOM(4)

NAME
random, urandom - kernel random number source devices DESCRIPTION
The character special files /dev/random and /dev/urandom (present since Linux 1.3.30) provide an interface to the kernel's random number generator. File /dev/random has major device number 1 and minor device number 8. File /dev/urandom has major device number 1 and minor device number 9. The random number generator gathers environmental noise from device drivers and other sources into an entropy pool. The generator also keeps an estimate of the number of bit of the noise in the entropy pool. From this entropy pool random numbers are created. When read, the /dev/random device will only return random bytes within the estimated number of bits of noise in the entropy pool. /dev/random should be suitable for uses that need very high quality randomness such as one-time pad or key generation. When the entropy pool is empty, reads to /dev/random will block until additional environmental noise is gathered. When read, /dev/urandom device will return as many bytes as are requested. As a result, if there is not sufficient entropy in the entropy pool, the returned values are theoretically vulnerable to a cryptographic attack on the algorithms used by the driver. Knowledge of how to do this is not available in the current non-classified literature, but it is theoretically possible that such an attack may exist. If this is a concern in your application, use /dev/random instead. CONFIGURING
If your system does not have /dev/random and /dev/urandom created already, they can be created with the following commands: mknod -m 644 /dev/random c 1 8 mknod -m 644 /dev/urandom c 1 9 chown root:root /dev/random /dev/urandom When a Linux system starts up without much operator interaction, the entropy pool may be in a fairly predictable state. This reduces the actual amount of noise in the entropy pool below the estimate. In order to counteract this effect, it helps to carry entropy pool informa- tion across shut-downs and start-ups. To do this, add the following lines to an appropriate script which is run during the Linux system start-up sequence: echo "Initializing kernel random number generator..." # Initialize kernel random number generator with random seed # from last shut-down (or start-up) to this start-up. Load and # then save 512 bytes, which is the size of the entropy pool. if [ -f /var/random-seed ]; then cat /var/random-seed >/dev/urandom fi dd if=/dev/urandom of=/var/random-seed count=1 Also, add the following lines in an appropriate script which is run during the Linux system shutdown: # Carry a random seed from shut-down to start-up for the random # number generator. Save 512 bytes, which is the size of the # random number generator's entropy pool. echo "Saving random seed..." dd if=/dev/urandom of=/var/random-seed count=1 FILES
/dev/random /dev/urandom AUTHOR
The kernel's random number generator was written by Theodore Ts'o (tytso@athena.mit.edu). SEE ALSO
mknod (1) RFC 1750, "Randomness Recommendations for Security" Linux 1997-08-01 RANDOM(4)