Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding lines of specific size in files using sed Post 303017485 by boncuk on Wednesday 16th of May 2018 03:10:07 PM
Old 05-16-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrtx1
Code:
sed -n '/^.\{21\}$/!p' a.a

thanks

is it possible to break out of sed on the first non match instead of looping through the whole large file ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a specific pattern from thousands of files ????

Hi All, I want to find a specific pattern from approximately 400000 files on solaris platform. Its very heavy for me to grep that pattern to each file individually. Can anybody suggest me some way to search for specific pattern (alpha numeric) from these forty thousand files. Please note that... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding duplicate files by size and finding pattern matching and its count

Hi, I have a challenging task,in which i have to find the duplicate files by its name and size,then i need to take anyone of the file.Then i need to open the file and find for more than one pattern and count of that pattern. Note:These are the samples of two files,but i can have more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome Sukumar
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding cumulative size of files older than certain days

Hi All, I've got a ton of files in a particular directory. I want to find pdf files older than 30 days in that directory and then the cumulative size of those files. Ex: find /home/jk/a -name "*.pdf" -mtime +30 consider it finds the below 4 files. /home/jk/a/1.pdf /home/jk/a/2.pdf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rohan076
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with finding specific files

before i get to it, i would like to say this is the greatest unix site ive ever seen, and im glad to see so many people are out there to help. thanks well, im trying to make myself a script where i can specify a directory and a file size so that my script will show me any files larger than the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxlaptop
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing over specific lines and replacing the lines with the sum using sed, awk

Hi friends, This is sed & awk type question. I have a text file which has numbers spread all over the file. I want to sum the series of numbers whenever i find it and produce an output file with the sum. For example ###start of input text file #### abc def ghi 1 2 3 4 kjld random... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding 4 current files having specific File Name pattern

Hi All, I am trying to find 4 latest files inside one folder having following File Name pattern and store them into 4 different variables and then use for processing in my shell script. File name is fixed length. 1) Each file starts with = ABCJmdmfbsjop letters + 7 Digit Number... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lancesunny
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding size of files with spaces in their file names

I am running a UNIX script to get unused files and their sizes from the server. The issue is arising due to the spaces present in the filename/folder names.Due to this the du -k command doesn't work properly.But I need to calculate the size of all files including the ones which have spaces in them.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: INNSAV1
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh sed - Extract specific lines with mulitple occurance of interesting lines

Data file example I look for primary and * to isolate the interesting slot number. slot=`sed '/^primary$/,/\*/!d' filename | tail -1 | sed s'/*//' | awk '{print $1" "$2}'` Now I want to get the Touch line for only the associate slot number, in this case, because the asterisk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding Files only under a specific FileSystem

Hi, I am using AIX and one of my file systems is getting filled up and I need to track with files are occupying more volume. Filesystem GB blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on /dev/nhdb_lv 2110.00 63.80 97% 76525 1% /nhdb under the Mount Point /nhdb... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zulfi123786
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to print lines from a files with specific start and end patterns and pick only the last lines?

Hi, I need to print lines which are matching with start pattern "SELECT" and END PATTERN ";" and only select the last "select" statement including the ";" . I have attached sample input file and the desired input should be as: INPUT FORMAT: SELECT ABCD, DEFGH, DFGHJ, JKLMN, AXCVB,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani2019
5 Replies
PYP(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PYP(1)

NAME
pyp - The Pyed Piper: A Modern Python Alternative to awk, sed and Other Unix Text Manipulation Utilities SYNOPSIS
pyp [options] files ... DESCRIPTION
pyp, the Pyed Piper, is a command line tool for text manipulation. It is similar to awk and sed in functionality, but its subcommands are Python based, and thus more familiar to many programmers. It can operate both on a per-line base and on the complete input stream. Different features can be pipelined in a single command by using the pipe character familiar from shell commands. pyp backs up its input for reruns with modified commands, and can save commands as macros. On the downside, the rerun feature makes it unsuitable for continuous pipe operation. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, use --manual. -h, --help Show this help message and exit. -m, --manual Prints out extended help. -l, --macro_list Lists all available macros. -s MACRO_SAVE_NAME, --macro_save=MACRO_SAVE_NAME Saves current command as macro. use "#" for adding comments EXAMPLE: pyp -s "great_macro # prints first letter" "p[1]". -f MACRO_FIND_NAME, --macro_find=MACRO_FIND_NAME Searches for macros with keyword or user name. -d MACRO_DELETE_NAME, --macro_delete=MACRO_DELETE_NAME Deletes specified public macro. -g, --macro_group Specify group macros for save and delete; default is user. -t TEXT_FILE, --text_file=TEXT_FILE Specify text file to load. For advanced users, you should typically cat a file into pyp. -x, --execute Execute all commands. -c, --turn_off_color Prints raw, uncolored output. -u, --unmodified_config Prints out generic PypCustom.py config file. -b BLANK_INPUTS, --blank_inputs=BLANK_INPUTS Generate this number of blank input lines; useful for generating numbered lists with variable 'n'. -n, --no_input Use with command that generates output with no input; same as --dummy_input 1. -k, --keep_false Print blank lines for lines that test as False. default is to filter out False lines from the output. -r, --rerun Rerun based on automatically cached data from the last run. Use this after executing "pyp", pasting input into the shell, and hitting CTRL-D. SEE ALSO
awk(1), grep(1), sed(1). AUTHOR
pyp was written by Toby Rosen <tobyrosen@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Khalid El Fathi <khalid@elfathi.fr>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). March 19, 2012 PYP(1)