Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris SunOS confusing root directory and user home directory Post 303016344 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 24th of April 2018 09:01:50 PM
Old 04-24-2018
What do you mean by "someone configured "myuser" as default user after init"? What did "someone" do to make this configuration change?

How did you log into the system?

What output do you get from the command line:
Code:
who am I;ps

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

user home directory problem

The home directory for me on my system is on /home/kwon. It was created using "useradd kwon" When i go to change the home directory for a user doing a usermod -d /home/test when they log on it gives them messages saying to generate new ssh keys, and it does. It gives me a thing that says... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BangYourWallnut
1 Replies

2. Solaris

running sshd server from home directory without root access

Hi, I managed to install openssh from source on my home directory on a server I don't have root access to. I had problems with privilege separation because of permissions initially so I disabled it in sshd_config. But when I run sshd from where I installed it by doing ~/local/sbin/sshd, nothing at... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sayeo
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find out the home directory of a user??

Hi all, I would like to know how to find out the home directory of a particular user.. eg, If am the root , then my Home directory will be / if say am just a user logging into the terminal then my home dir would change, so accordingly i would like to know how to find it out... I know that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
7 Replies

4. Solaris

Restricting SFTP user to a defined directory and home directory

Hi, I've created solaris user which has both FTP and SFTP Access. Using the "ftpaccess" configuration file options "guest-root" and "restricted-uid", i can restrict the user to a specific directory. But I'm unable to restrict the user when the user is logged in using SFTP. The aim is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sftpuser
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

User's home directory

Hi, By default user's home directory will be /home/$user. I want to change it to /javauser/$user. How can I do it? Thanks Jeevan. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jredx
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Home Directory for oracle user

Hello all, I am Installing Oracle 11g on my Solaris OS. I created the below oracle user: # /usr/sbin/useradd -g oinstall -G dba oracle but when i am trying to to su - oracle it give me the below error No directory Do i have to setup a home directory for oracle user? and how can i do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beayni33
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restricting a user to their home directory and below

I found this old closed thread: I can do these things, but how to I change someone's profile - where do I find the profile? I'm running Centos 5.6 ~~~~~~~~~ providing you have the password shell set to ksh, you can put this in his .profile: cd /opt/load alias -x cd=: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjj0923
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User's home directory not being created

I am trying to create Oracle user. I will install oracle after that. But my problem is /home/oracle directory is not being created. bash-3.2# useradd -g oinstall -G dba,oper -d /home/oracle -m oracle cp: /home/oracle: Operation not applicable chown: /home/oracle: No such file or directory ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hubatuwang
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename all file with blank in directory from home root , please help me

hi , :wall: I've in directory home user 3 file with blank space in name file, I would like erase the all character that no have alphanum more dot in namefile from home root , below the script. If I execute the shell script from directory where stay it's execute well done.But I would like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giankan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to delete a user and home directory

Good Afternoon, I'm trying userdel -r username on Solaris 9 and getting UX: userdel: ERROR: unable to find status about home directory: No such file or directory I see the user's home directory and getent passwd shows the user Anybody know what's causing it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
2 Replies
root_archive(1M)					  System Administration Commands					  root_archive(1M)

NAME
root_archive - manage bootable miniroot archives SYNOPSIS
/boot/solaris/bin/root_archive pack archive root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpack archive root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive packmedia solaris_image root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpackmedia solaris_image root DESCRIPTION
The root_archive utility is used to manage bootable miniroot archives and is currently only available on x86 platforms. The utility can pack and unpack boot/root archives in both ufs and hsfs (iso9660) format. It will always generate ufs archives. root_archive also uses the lofi file driver to export a file as a block device (see lofi(7D)) and mount to mount or unmount file systems and remote resources (see mount(1M)). root_archive requires the same privileges that are needed to run these commands. SUBCOMMANDS
The root_archive command has the following subcommands: pack archive root Pack from the image found under the root directory to the archive. unpack archive root Unpack from the archive to an unpacked image under the root directory. packmedia solaris_image root Pack the solaris image to the root directory. unpackmedia solaris_image root Unpack the solaris image from the root directory. For packmedia and unpackmedia, other items that do not go into the ramdisk image are copied or uncopied (see cpio(1)) as well. Specifi- cally, this includes all the packaging databases needed for pkgadd and the other packaging utilities to succeed which are not used in the running and hence pruned to conserve memory. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Unpacking the Solaris x86 install image The following command unpacks the current Solaris image from the root directory: # root_archive unpackmedia /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest /export/Boot Where /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest represents a path to a Solaris x86 install image and /export/Boot is a directory that will be purged or created, as necessary. Example 2 Packing the Solaris x86 install image The following command packs the current Solaris image to the root directory: # root_archive packmedia /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest /export/Boot EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 The command completed successfully. 1 The command exited due to an error. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cpio(1), bootadm(1M), mount(1M), attributes(5), lofi(7D) SunOS 5.11 26 Sep 2005 root_archive(1M)