Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED message following disk replacement Post 303016334 by hicksd8 on Tuesday 24th of April 2018 03:43:48 PM
Old 04-24-2018
Does the new disk have the same or more LBA's as the others in the array? Sometimes like models of disk have a slightly different (less) number of LBA's (sectors). The LBA capacity is often on the disk label.

The fact that the error displayed on rebuild completion indicates to me that the RAID controller is not happy with that drive for some reason.

You could initiate another rebuild but the same will probably happen again; but worth a try. Otherwise, replace the disk again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie: Sun Ultra 5 Disk Replacement

I have just started getting into unix and aquired a Sun Ultra 5 however the disk failed and I want to replace it with a spare maxtor 40Gb i have lying around. I need to partition and format the disk from its old windows format. I have looked up info on the format command in solaris 9 and I think i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalm
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Disk replacement with svm

I dont even know what raid level this is, but its raid 5 mirrored from the looks of it. I have a failed disk (t12) within this mirror. What is the best way to replace this disk? 2 things concern me, isn't there a command to prepare the disk for a hot swap? and what should i do with the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

3. Red Hat

Hard disk replacement

Hi all, I need some help with a RHEL 4 on a Sun Fire v65x machine. Some of the disks is damaged or has a hardware issue. This disk is connected to a hardware raid. The problem is that I don't know what is the brand, model and capacity of the disk. I've read the raid manual, but says... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelgadom
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Disk Replacement SVM

Hello, Can someone advise the proper procedure for replacing a mirrored disk in SVM. I have checked the docs and various websites but the procedure seems to vary. This is what I would do... 1. Remove the db replicas from the bad disk. 2. Detach it from the mirror 3. Clear it with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Actuator
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

need your help for HP virtual array 7400 disk replacement error

hi all! I found a the state of disk at JA0/D13 was failed this morning. then i replaced it this afternoon,but i run #dsp -s the array status displayed ==================================== STATUS Subsystem State: 1 The Subsystem is TESTING. The array is REBUILDING and is 87%... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoyOnLine
0 Replies

6. AIX

errpt kept sending errors after disk replacement

Hi, The system is a Power6 8204 with an external storage 7031. OS is AIX 5.3. I replaced a failed disk hdisk28 and put it back to the volume group. Everything looks just fine. After the replacement, errpt has kept sending "Perm DISK OPERATION ERROR". Other than the error, everything still... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies

7. Solaris

encapsulated root disk replacement

Hello, I have a Sparc system with encapsulated disks. Because of disk errors I had to replace rootdisk, I did it with vxdiskadm 4) replacement, vxdctl disable/enable, vxdiskadm 5) After it it the system boot failed, dropped back to the ok> prompt, message was: The file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggi
0 Replies

8. HP-UX

FAULTY DISK replacement HP rx4640

Hello, I'm new to this forum and as you will see from my question I'm new to UNIX as well. One of our costumers has HP rx4640 running on UNIX with two 300GB hot-swappable disks that are mirrored. They reported to us that one of the disks is faulty and they want us to take care of it. Below is... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjk
16 Replies

9. AIX

Disk replacement on SharedVG.

Hi, One of my disk is in 'disk missing state'. It is a sharedVG and cluster nodes. The errpt keeps reporting stale partition error. lvs are in open/stale state. In this sceanario is replacing the disk the best practice? When i do a lsdev the disk is labelled as below. hdisk3 Available ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElizabethPJ
2 Replies

10. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED message displayed following disk replacement

Hello, On 4/20/2018, we performed a disk replacement on our IBM 8202 P7 server. After the disk was rebuilt, the SAS Disk Array sissas0 showed a status of degraded. However, the pdisks in the array all show a status of active. We did see a message in errpt. DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terrya
1 Replies
dgcfgrestore(1M)														  dgcfgrestore(1M)

NAME
dgcfgrestore - display or restore VxVM disk group configuration from backup file SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/dgcfgrestore -n dg_name -l /usr/sbin/dgcfgrestore -n dg_name [ -o old_dm_name ] dm_name /usr/sbin/dgcfgrestore -f dg_conf_path -l /usr/sbin/dgcfgrestore -f dg_conf_path [ -o old_dm_name ] dm_name DESCRIPTION
The dgcfgrestore command may be used to restore configuration data to the only disk in a single-disk disk group, or to a disk in a multi- disk disk group in which all other disks do not have a configuration data copy. dgcfgrestore is designed not to work if the disk being restored belongs to a multi-disk disk group and at least one of the other disks in the group is online and contains configuration data. In such cases, adding the new disk to the disk group causes the configuration data to be copied to the new disk. dgcfgrestore fails if the disk group to which the disk is being restored does not exist. The dgcfgrestore command restores the VxVM configuration data from a default (-n option) or alternate (-f option) configuration backup file to the physical disk named by dm_name. If the -l option is specified, dgcfgrestore displays the configuration data on the standard output. The -o option allows the configuration stored for one disk device, old_dm_name, to be copied to another disk device, dm_name. Options and Arguments dm_name Specified the basename of a disk device (such as c0t4d0). If the -o option is not specified, dm_name must specify the basename of a disk device whose configuration is stored in the con- figuration backup file. -f dg_conf_path Obtains configuration information from the alternate configuration backup file specied by dg_conf_path. -l Lists configuration information saved in the specified configuration backup file. -n dg_name Obtains configuration information from the default configuration backup file, /etc/vxvmconf/dg_name.conf, where dg_name is the name of the disk group. -o old_dm_name Restores the configuration information saved for disk device, old_dm_name to disk device, dm_name. old_dm_name must be the basename of a disk device whose VxVM configuration is stored in the configuration backup file. dm_name must be the basename of a disk device that has already been initialized to the disk group to which the disk being restored belonged. Note: Its configuration need not be stored in the configuration backup file. EXIT CODES
dgcfgrestore exits with a zero status on successful completion. An non-zero exit status indicates that errors occurred during the restore operation. EXAMPLES
Restore the VxVM configuration information for the VxVM disk disk01 on the replacement disk device c0t7d0 that was part of the single-disk disk group onediskdg using the default configuration file /etc/vxvmconf/dg00.conf: ##Initialize replaced disk device c0t7d0 for use by VxVM # /etc/vx/bin/vxdisketup -i c0t7d0 ##Create disk group using this disk # vxdg init onediskdg disk01=c0t7d0 ## Restore configuration data # dgcfgrestore -n onediskdg c0t7d0 # vxprint -g onediskdg -ht DG NAME NCONFIG NLOG MINORS GROUP-ID DM NAME DEVICE TYPE PRIVLEN PUBLEN STATE V NAME USETYPE KSTATE STATE LENGTH READPOL PREFPLEX PL NAME VOLUME KSTATE STATE LENGTH LAYOUT NCOL/WID MODE SD NAME PLEX DISK DISKOFFS LENGTH [COL/]OFF DEVICE MODE SV NAME PLEX VOLNAME NVOLLAYR LENGTH [COL/]OFF AM/NM MODE dg onedisk default default 7928000 944849696.3237.veritas9 dm disk01 c8t0d0 simple 1024 8885610 - v volume1 fsgen DISABLED EMPTY 10240 SELECT - pl volume1-01 volume1 DISABLED EMPTY 10240 CONCAT - RW sd disk01-01 volume1-01 disk01 0 10240 0 c8t0d0 ENA It is now necessary to start the volumes. For a simple volume (neither RAID-5 nor mirrored), simply start the volume: vxvol -g onediskdg start vol01 Although not recommended, it is possible to initialize disks that do not contain configuration data. Having redundant copies of configura- tion data on disks in a disk group avoids the need for the following procedure. The next example shows how restore the VxVM configuration information for the VxVM disk, disk01 on the replacement disk device, c0t4d0. This was the only disk with configuration data in the two-disk disk group, dgnocfg. The other disk in the disk group, disk02 on c0t5d0, does not contain configuration data. The example uses the alternate configuration file /tmp/dgnocfg.backup. ## Initialize replaced disk device c0t4d0 for use by VxVM # /etc/vxvm/bin/vxdisksetup -i c0t4d0 ## Create disk group using this disk # vxdg init dgnocfg disk01=c0t4d0 ## Reinitialize c0t5d0 to match new instance of dgnocfg # /etc/vxvm/bin/vxdiskunsetup -C c0t5d0 # /etc/vxvm/bin/vxdisksetup -i c0t5d0 noconfig # vxdg -g dgnocfg adddisk disk02=c0t5d0 ## Restore configuration data #d gcfgrestore -f /tmp/dgnocfg.backup c0t4d0 # vxprint -g dgnocfg -ht DG NAME NCONFIG NLOG MINORS GROUP-ID DM NAME DEVICE TYPE PRIVLEN PUBLEN STATE V NAME USETYPE KSTATE STATE LENGTH READPOL PREFPLEX PL NAME VOLUME KSTATE STATE LENGTH LAYOUT NCOL/WID MODE SD NAME PLEX DISK DISKOFFS LENGTH [COL/]OFF DEVICE MODE SV NAME PLEX VOLNAME NVOLLAYR LENGTH [COL/]OFF AM/NM MODE dg dgnocfg default default 5035000 945182942.3700.veritas9 dm disk01 c0t4d0 simple 1024 8885610 - dm disk02 c0t5d0 simple 1024 8885610 - v mirvol01 fsgen DISABLED EMPTY 10240 SELECT - pl mirvol01-01 mirvol01 DISABLED EMPTY 10240 CONCAT - RW sd disk01-01 mirvol01-01 disk01 0 10240 0 c0t4d0 ENA pl mirvol01-02 mirvol01 DISABLED EMPTY 10240 CONCAT - RW sd disk02-01 mirvol01-02 disk02 0 10240 0 c0t5d0 ENA For a mirrored volume, we want to use the good plex on the disk that was not replaced (disk02) to resynchronize the other one. To do so, we take the replaced plex offline, start the volume and place the remaining plex online. vxmend -g dgnocfg off mirvol01-01 vxvol -g dgnocfg start mirvol01 vxmend -g dgnocfg on mirvol01-01 The next example lists backup information saved in default configuration file /etc/vxvmconf/dgnocfg.conf: dgcfgrestore -n twodiskdg -l This command displays output such as the following: Disk Group Configuration information in "/etc/vxvmconf/twodiskdg.conf" DG Name twodiskdg ---- Physical disks : 2 ---- /dev/rdsk/c0t4d0 /dev/rdsk/c0t5d0 The final example restores the VxVM configuration information for the VxVM disk, disk01 for failed disk device c0t2d0, which was part of a single-disk disk group, foodg, to disk, c0t3d0. The default configuration file, /etc/vxvmconf/foodg.conf is used. # Initialize c0t3d0 for use by VxVM /etc/vx/bin/vxdisketup -i c0t3d0 # Create disk group using this disk vxdg init onediskdg disk01=c0t3d0 # Restore configuration data dgcfgrestore -n foodg -o c0t3d0 c0t2d0 AUTHOR
dgcfgrestore was developed by the Hewlett-Packard Company. SEE ALSO
dgcfgbackup(1M), vxdg(1M) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 dgcfgrestore(1M)