Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications What is the difference between /etc/ssh/ and ~/.ssh? Post 303016253 by kavish11 on Monday 23rd of April 2018 12:31:39 PM
Old 04-23-2018
What is the difference between /etc/ssh/ and ~/.ssh?

Hi,

I know the “/etc/ssh” directory is for the ssh daemon and the “~/.ssh” directory is for a particular user.

Both directories contain private and public keys: (see the attachment)

but what is the difference between those keys in both directories? I'm confused because the ones i use as a user, is in my home directory ~/.ssh, and what are the roles of the keys found in /etc/ssh ? for what purpose are they created for ?

Thanks.
What is the difference between /etc/ssh/ and ~/.ssh?-screen-shot-2018-04-23-180806png

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

What's the difference between an SSH Client and an SSH Server?

Eh... yeah. What the title says. :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PSC
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

difference between logging into unix through f-secure ssh client and telnet

hi, what is the difference between logging into unix through f-secure ssh client and telnet is there any more security check is involved can any one explain thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

could not send commands SSH session with Net::SSH::Expect

I am using Net::SSH::Expect to connect to the device(iLO) with SSH. After the $ssh->login() I'm able to view the prompt, but not able to send any coommands. With the putty I can connect to the device and execute the commands without any issues. Here is the sample script my $ssh =... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansini
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using ssh to add register key on ssh server

Hi, I want to use ssh to add a register key on remote ssh server. Since there are space characters in my register key string, it always failed. If there is no space characters in the string, it worked fine. The following is what I have tried. It seems that "ssh" command doesn't care about double... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: leaftree
9 Replies

5. Solaris

what is the difference between openssh and ssh package installed with Solaris box

which should i prefer to install in my system openssh or ssh package provided by SUN by default. can i have two packages installed at the same time? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh = ssh expect and keep everything not change include parameter postion

I have write a script which contains ssh -p 12345 dcplatform@10.125.42.50 ssh 127.0.0.1 -p 5555 "$CMD" ssh root@$GUEST_IP "$CMD" before I use public key, it works well, now I want to change to "expect", BUT I don't want to change above code and "parameter position" I can post a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if file exists via ssh in ssh (nested)

I'm using redhat and have an odd issue with a nested ssh call. ssh -i ~/.ssh/transfer-key -q transfer@fserver1 ] && ssh -i ~/.ssh/transfer-key transfer@fserver1 "ssh -i ~/.ssh/sftp-key sftpin@10.0.0.1 ]" && ssh -i ~/.ssh/transfer-key transfer@fserver1 "scp -i ~/.ssh/sftp-key /home/S/outbox/*... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: say170
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Ssh script to validate ssh connection to multiple serves with status

Hi, I want to validate ssh connection one after one for multiple servers..... password less keys already setup but now i want to validate if ssh is working fine or not... I have .sh script like below and i have servers.txt contains all the list of servers #/bin/bash for host in $(cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreeram4
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find active SSH servers w/ ssh keys on LAN

Hi, I am trying to complete my bash script in order to find which SSH servers on LAN are still active with the ssh keys, but i am frozen at this step: #!/bin/bash # LAN SSH KEYS DISCOVERY SCRIPT </etc/passwd \ grep /bin/bash | cut -d: -f6 | sudo xargs -i -- sh -c ' && cat... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: syrius
11 Replies
SSH-COPY-ID(1)						      General Commands Manual						    SSH-COPY-ID(1)

NAME
ssh-copy-id - install your public key in a remote machine's authorized_keys SYNOPSIS
ssh-copy-id [-i [identity_file]] [user@]machine DESCRIPTION
ssh-copy-id is a script that uses ssh to log into a remote machine and append the indicated identity file to that machine's ~/.ssh/autho- rized_keys file. If the -i option is given then the identity file (defaults to ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub) is used, regardless of whether there are any keys in your ssh-agent. Otherwise, if this: ssh-add -L provides any output, it uses that in preference to the identity file. If the -i option is used, or the ssh-add produced no output, then it uses the contents of the identity file. Once it has one or more fin- gerprints (by whatever means) it uses ssh to append them to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine (creating the file, and directory, if necessary.) NOTES
This program does not modify the permissions of any pre-existing files or directories. Therefore, if the remote sshd has StrictModes set in its configuration, then the user's home, ~/.ssh folder, and ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file may need to have group writability disabled manu- ally, e.g. via chmod go-w ~ ~/.ssh ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine. SEE ALSO
ssh(1), ssh-agent(1), sshd(8) OpenSSH 14 November 1999 SSH-COPY-ID(1)