Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help to identify blank space in a file Post 303016114 by gimley on Thursday 19th of April 2018 08:26:22 PM
Old 04-19-2018
Many thanks for all your kind help. My broadband connectivity was down all day and hence the delay. All the solutions worked. I had ensured that my data had no trailing spaces so the issue of trailing spaces does not arise but is is nice to have a solution which ensures that trailing spaces are handled.
Thanks once again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

append blank space

Hi, I would like to add blank space for fixed length(50) if length of string <30. Scenario: File Size AAA.CSV 123 BB.CSV 134 Expected: File Size AAA.CSV 123 BB.CSV 134 I want append blank space until 30 character. Thanks and Regards, HAA (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HAA
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Blank Space is not appending in each row of CSV File - Shell Script

I am calling SQL script in my UNIX Shell script and trying to create the CSV file and my last column value of each row is 23 blank spaces. In my SQL script,the last column is like below. RPAD(' ',23,' ') -- Padding 23 blank Spaces The CSV file is generated but the sapce(23 spaces) is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: praka
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank lines from comma seperated and space seperated file.

Hi, I want to remove empty/blank lines from comma seperated and space seperated files Thanks all for help (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut last blank space

Hello, I am using this to get only directories : ls -l | grep '^d'and here is the result : drwx------ 13 so_nic sonic 13 Nov 4 13:03 GLARY drwx------ 3 so_nic sonic 3 May 6 2010 PSY2R drwx------ 15 so_nic sonic 15 Oct 14 08:47 PSYR1 But I only need to keep this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

blank space

hi everyone, i have a problem in unix script , i need to remove line that has blank , not blank line . example: mahm,,jdggkhsd,ghskj,,fshjkl can anyone help? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reham.Donia
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank space in file

TT0000013101257 | JCJMMUJMMUB018 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sususa
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not delete space blank

Hi everyone, i need to "grep" a file with a string with space blanks, like this: grep "XXXX XX" file.txt The problem, i need put the "XXXX XX" in a string variable. When the script executes the grep, do: gresp XXXX XX file.txt How can i solve this problem? The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xedrox
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Space and blank line from file in UNIX shell script

I have below file. I want to remove space at begining of every line and then after also remove blank line from file. I use below code for each operation. sed -e 's/^*//' < check.txt > check1.txt sed '/^\s*$/d' < check1.txt > check2.txt above code not remove all the space... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohin Jain
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if the file is empty or has blank space.?

Hi, I am using KSH. I am trying to check if the output file is empty or not. I tried with ] but what i see is my file is empty but still manages to have a size of 1 instead of 0. But my file doesnot have anything its empty. I am not sure how to check this. can any one help? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to identify exact text and then add a blank line above it using sed?

I need to identify the exact text of San Antonio Generator Running in the output my script which lands to a text file. Once SED finds the specific text, I need it to insert one line above the matched text. Here is what I have so far that isn't working all that well for me. Any help would be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrass
7 Replies
form_field_buffer(3X)													     form_field_buffer(3X)

NAME
form_field_buffer - field buffer control SYNOPSIS
#include <form.h> int set_field_buffer(FIELD *field, int buf, const char *value); char *field_buffer(const FIELD *field, int buffer); int set_field_status(FIELD *field, bool status); bool field_status(const FIELD *field); int set_max_field(FIELD *field, int max); DESCRIPTION
The function set_field_buffer sets the numbered buffer of the given field to contain a given string: - Buffer 0 is the displayed value of the field. - Other numbered buffers may be allocated by applications through the nbuf argument of (see form_field_new(3X)) but are not manipulated by the forms library. The function field_buffer returns a pointer to the contents of the given numbered buffer: - The buffer contents always have the same length, and are padded with trailing spaces as needed to ensure this length is the same. - The buffer may contain leading spaces, depending on how it was set. - The buffer contents are set with set_field_buffer, or as a side effect of any editing operations on the corresponding field. - Editing operations are based on the window which displays the field, rather than a string. The window contains only printable char- acters, and is filled with blanks. If you want the raw data, you must write your own routine that copies the value out of the buffer and removes the leading and trailing spaces. - Because editing operations change the content of the buffer to correspond to the window, you should not rely on using buffers for long-term storage of form data. The function set_field_status sets the associated status flag of field; field_status gets the current value. The status flag is set to a nonzero value whenever the field changes. The function set_max_field sets the maximum size for a dynamic field. An argument of 0 turns off any maximum size threshold for that field. RETURN VALUE
The field_buffer function returns NULL on error. It sets errno according to their success: E_OK The routine succeeded. E_BAD_ARGUMENT Routine detected an incorrect or out-of-range argument. The field_status function returns TRUE or FALSE. The remaining routines return one of the following: E_OK The routine succeeded. E_SYSTEM_ERROR System error occurred (see errno). E_BAD_ARGUMENT Routine detected an incorrect or out-of-range argument. SEE ALSO
curses(3X) and related pages whose names begin "form_" for detailed descriptions of the entry points. NOTES
The header file <form.h> automatically includes the header file When configured for wide-characters, field_buffer returns a pointer to temporary storage (allocated and freed by the library). The appli- cation should not attempt to modify the data. It will be freed on the next call to field_buffer to return the same buffer. <curses.h>. PORTABILITY
These routines emulate the System V forms library. They were not supported on Version 7 or BSD versions. AUTHORS
Juergen Pfeifer. Manual pages and adaptation for new curses by Eric S. Raymond. form_field_buffer(3X)