Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to increment version inside a file? Post 303015411 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 4th of April 2018 11:29:17 AM
Old 04-04-2018
Is this a homework assignment? Homework and coursework questions can only be posted in the Homework & Coursework Questions forum under special homework rules.

Please review the rules, which you agreed to when you registered, if you have not already done so.

If you did post homework in the main forums, please review the guidelines for posting homework and repost.

If you did not post homework, please explain the company you work for and the nature of the problem you are working on, and tell us:
  1. What operating system are you using?
  2. What shell are you using?
  3. What have you tried to solve this problem on your own?
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment userid in file

Hello, does anyone know how to increment a userid(number) written in any scripting language that works on a shell? For example: I have a HTML file in this format: userid: name: telephone: Every time I execute my script it adds the same fields, except with the userid incremented. Like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavu88
2 Replies

2. AIX

checking the version revisions of a java file inside the ear using KSHELL in AIX.

consider on day1, in PVCS repository we have java files like a.java,b.java with version revision 1.0, through ANT build script we have compiled and created an ear,named c.ear in AIX build server.we have transfered this ear from build server to portal server through FTP using KSHELL. consider... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kareemaashik
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check file and increment

My scripts excepts 4 files ABCD_01 ABCD_02 ABCD_03 ABCD_04 I want to check for these files , and increment counter one by one . at the end i would like to echo as 4 of 4 expected instances of file found . I tried something like thsi $counter =1 if counter=counter+1 i need... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File existence and increment

count=0; while read line; do ] && let count=count+1; done < file_name.txt echo echo "$count of 10 files found " echo The scenario is a follows : I have a file which contains a list of filenames present in particular directory . I am checking fo the existence of the file and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

To increment the values from the file

Hi I have the file called "file.txt" which contains the following output $cat file.txt sandy <version>1</version> karen <version>2</version> Rob <version>3</version> peter <version>4</version> i want to write a command which will add the value 1 to the digits and show the output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidh_arth85
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compressing all directories inside a directory and remove the uncompressed version

hi pls give me a script to compress all directories inside a directory and remove the original uncompressed version... >> please also tell the single commmand to uncompress all the directories back...whemn needed (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dll_fpga
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment Numbers in File

Hello, I have a text file withe some records 20121031|5 20121030|3 20121029|1 20121028|4 20121027|6 I want to search for a patten with '20121030' and then increment the second part of the delimiter i.e. 3 by 1 to make it 4 to look like 20121031|5 20121030|4 20121029|1 20121028|4... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pparthiv
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment value in text file

Hi Guys, I am new to shell programing, I have a csv file which has 50k records and I have got the requirement to increment the value in second column after each 5000 records. for example below A,B,C,D //Header 1,1,London,UK 1,1,Manchester,UK 1,1,Glasgow,UK . . . 1,1,Newyork,USA... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rizzu1555
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to increment date using "for loop" in format MMDDYY inside the shell script?

Need to increment the date from "currentdate + 90days" inside the for loop (i=1 to i=50) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aroragaurav.84
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy a file from directroy/ prior version to the directory/ new version

How to copy a file from directroy/ prior version to the directory/ new version automatically. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: roy1912
4 Replies
NICE(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   NICE(1)

NAME
nice -- execute a utility at an altered scheduling priority SYNOPSIS
nice [-n increment] utility [argument ...] DESCRIPTION
The nice utility runs utility at an altered scheduling priority, by incrementing its ``nice'' value by the specified increment, or a default value of 10. The lower the nice value of a process, the higher its scheduling priority. The superuser may specify a negative increment in order to run a utility with a higher scheduling priority. Some shells may provide a builtin nice command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. ENVIRONMENT
The PATH environment variable is used to locate the requested utility if the name contains no '/' characters. EXAMPLES
Execute utility 'date' at priority 5 assuming the priority of the shell is 0: nice -n 5 date Execute utility 'date' at priority -19 assuming the priority of the shell is 0 and you are the super-user: nice -n 16 nice -n -35 date DIAGNOSTICS
If utility is invoked, the exit status of nice is the exit status of utility. An exit status of 126 indicates utility was found, but could not be executed. An exit status of 127 indicates utility could not be found. SEE ALSO
builtin(1), csh(1), idprio(1), rtprio(1), getpriority(2), setpriority(2), renice(8) COMPATIBILITY
The traditional -increment option has been deprecated but is still supported. STANDARDS
The nice utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A nice utility appeared in Version 4 AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD