Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Combine information from 2 files Post 303015348 by RudiC on Tuesday 3rd of April 2018 09:11:41 AM
Old 04-03-2018
Welcome to the forum.

It usually helps to post your OS and shell versions as well as e.g. preferred tools, and to show your own attempts on a solution.

Howsoever, how far would this get you:
Code:
awk 'NR==FNR {SID[$2]; next} $3 in SID {FN = $3 "_readIDs.file"; print $1 >> FN; close (FN)}' file1 file2

Last edited by RudiC; 04-03-2018 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: Corrected typo & added two minor improvements of code

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to combine two files

i need to combine two file. These two files have the same line number, and i need to combine each corresponding line. I tried the paste, but i need coma as the delimeter. are there anyway to do it? thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tao
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to combine 2 files

hi all i have 2 files f1 and f2 i have to combine these 2 files and make a new file f3 when i use paste f1 f2 >f3 its pasting vertically but i want to paste horizontally How to do .. pls let me know (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi.sadani19
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combine 2 files

Some one plz give me the answer we have 3 files 1 and 2 are given and we need to get 3 file by using some trick file_one.dat AMITH ARUN ARVIND file_two.dat (these are Variables) X Y Z and we need to write scirpt in file_two.data and get the answer in file_three.dat as fallows... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nekki
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine files with same name

I need a script that combines files with the same name. These files are on a windows directory but the PC has Cygwin so i have a limited unix command set. What I've got; WebData_9_2007-09-20.txt WebData_9_2007-09-20.txt WebData_9_2007-09-21.txt WebData_9_2007-09-20.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmwhitford
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

How to combine 2 different files

Hi : I have a file containing the print queues with their IP address. I wanted to combine the 'lpstat' output with their respective IP address. For example : zebhtrmb-6078 lgonzale priority 0 Mar 17 11:50 on zebhtrmb with zebhtrmb-6078 lgonzale priority 0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdasari
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

3 files combine into one help please

Ok here is what I have file a {{BEGIN}} {{FAX File b 5555464584 5555465292 5555465828 5555485930 5555474939 File C }} ON ORDERS LESS THAN 70 LBS AND THE PACKAGE IS A COMBINED LENGTH AND GIRTH EQUAL TO OR LESS THAN 108" PLEASE UTILIZE UPS. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sctxms
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

combine multiple files by column into one files already sorted!

I have multiple files; each file contains a certain data in a column view simply i want to combine all those files into one file in columns example file1: a b c d file 2: 1 2 3 4 file 3: G (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamro
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combine files

i have 3 files: file1, file2 and file3 file1 has this content: #!/bin/ksh sqlplus username/password@Servername << EOF file2 has this content: drop table dropme cascade constraints; file3 has this content: EOF all said and done, file1, file2 and file2 will look like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lawsongeek
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine files

I have n of files with ending with _ZERO.txt need to combine all file ending with _ZERO.txt into 1 file ex: A_ZERO.txt 1 2 B_ZERO.txt 3 4 Output: FINAL.txt 1 2 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish1222
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Automate splitting of files , scp files as each split completes and combine files on target server

i use the split command to split a one terabyte backup file into 10 chunks of 100 GB each. The files are split one after the other. While the files is being split, I will like to scp the files one after the other as soon as the previous one completes, from server A to Server B. Then on server B ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaika
2 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - differential file comparator SYNOPSIS
diff [ -efbh ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Diff tells what lines must be changed in two files to bring them into agreement. If file1 (file2) is `-', the standard input is used. If file1 (file2) is a directory, then a file in that directory whose file-name is the same as the file-name of file2 (file1) is used. The normal output contains lines of these forms: n1 a n3,n4 n1,n2 d n3 n1,n2 c n3,n4 These lines resemble ed commands to convert file1 into file2. The numbers after the letters pertain to file2. In fact, by exchanging `a' for `d' and reading backward one may ascertain equally how to convert file2 into file1. As in ed, identical pairs where n1 = n2 or n3 = n4 are abbreviated as a single number. Following each of these lines come all the lines that are affected in the first file flagged by `<', then all the lines that are affected in the second file flagged by `>'. The -b option causes trailing blanks (spaces and tabs) to be ignored and other strings of blanks to compare equal. The -e option produces a script of a, c and d commands for the editor ed, which will recreate file2 from file1. The -f option produces a similar script, not useful with ed, in the opposite order. In connection with -e, the following shell program may help maintain multiple versions of a file. Only an ancestral file ($1) and a chain of version-to-version ed scripts ($2,$3,...) made by diff need be on hand. A `latest version' appears on the standard output. (shift; cat $*; echo '1,$p') | ed - $1 Except in rare circumstances, diff finds a smallest sufficient set of file differences. Option -h does a fast, half-hearted job. It works only when changed stretches are short and well separated, but does work on files of unlimited length. Options -e and -f are unavailable with -h. FILES
/tmp/d????? /usr/lib/diffh for -h SEE ALSO
cmp(1), comm(1), ed(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no differences, 1 for some, 2 for trouble. BUGS
Editing scripts produced under the -e or -f option are naive about creating lines consisting of a single `.'. DIFF(1)