Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Sudo command prompt for a password Post 303014598 by kah00na on Thursday 15th of March 2018 11:27:49 AM
Old 03-15-2018
Also, make sure you're using visudo instead of trying to edit the config file directly.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

any way to use SU command without prompt for password

Hi, First i want to tell you i am not a administrator and everytime to run a sqlscritpt i have to login as SU in a particular account to connect to sqlplus.. I want to write a script which can make me free by doin this .. since i am having the permission for SU i want to know if i can SUDO... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: myelvis
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sudo in OS X shell script without password prompt??

I've written a shell script to alter a particular preference file on OS X (10.3.9), which works fine (tested by running the script from the terminal sat in front of the box). Problem is, I now have to run this script remotely across a number of machines via remote desktop, so where I've used the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Brad_GNET
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sudo command with password

Hello everybody, Say I forgot my root password (shit happens, no?) and I'd like to brutally try 100 possibilities to delete a file using sudo. How can I make a script that tries all the passwords? The following doesn't work. Do you have a clue? foo:~$ cat test sudo rm dummy <<< 'password' echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

su command without password prompt to non-root account

Hello. I searched the internet for answers and don't seem to find any for about a day now. My problem. I want to su to a non-root account non-interactively, e.g. if I want to temporarily become prdusr, I want to su prdusr without keying prdusr's password every time. What I want is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: royale-sojin
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sudo, use in script without prompt for password

I need to create an automated script where I have to use sudo to switch to multiple user so the script stops and prompts for password, Is there a way I can provide the password in same command only? Remember that, I cannot disable the password settings of sudo as I dont have rights. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauravgrover50
4 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Bash script prompt for sudo password?

I'm making a script that will be a double clickable .command file and I need it to prompt for the users admin password. So far I have: if ]; then sudo -p "Please enter your admin password: " date 2>/dev/null 1>&2 if ; then echo "You entered an invalid password... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PatGmac
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh foo.com sudo command - Prompts for sudo password as visible text. Help?

I am writing a BASH script to update a webserver and then restart Apache. It looks basically like this: #!/bin/bash rsync /path/on/local/machine/ foo.com:path/on/remote/machine/ ssh foo.com sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reloadrsync and ssh don't prompt for a password, because I have DSA encryption... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fluoborate
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo -s without password prompt

hi, i have a requirement where i need to sudo to another user in the shell script.suppose consider user A and B, first user A calls a shell script and then i need to sudo to user B which executes another shell script inside the earlier one. also this needs to be automated like while sudo'ing to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krk
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Sudo Password Prompt over SSH

I am not sure what I am missing here. I have the following identical entry in /etc/sudoers on multiple Red Hat 6.4 servers. icinga ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/yum --security --exclude\="kernel*" check-update On one server when I enter the command over SSH as follows it works fine. ssh -t -q... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Not getting command prompt after entering the login password

Hi All, I am not able to get the command prompt after entering the login password on solaris server Only access is through console. Server type : sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-T12 bsnl-north-in > ssh 10.147.17.207 jtoin Connecting to 10.147.17.207 as user jtoin Password: Last login: Wed Mar 5... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep_kmehra
1 Replies
VISUDO(8)						       MAINTENANCE COMMANDS							 VISUDO(8)

NAME
visudo - edit the sudoers file SYNOPSIS
visudo [-c] [-q] [-s] [-V] [-f sudoers] DESCRIPTION
visudo edits the sudoers file in a safe fashion, analogous to vipw(8). visudo locks the sudoers file against multiple simultaneous edits, provides basic sanity checks, and checks for parse errors. If the sudoers file is currently being edited you will receive a message to try again later. There is a hard-coded list of editors that visudo will use set at compile-time that may be overridden via the editor sudoers Default variable. This list defaults to the path to vi(1) on your system, as determined by the configure script. Normally, visudo does not honor the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables unless they contain an editor in the aforementioned editors list. However, if visudo is configured with the --with-enveditor option or the env_editor Default variable is set in sudoers, visudo will use any the editor defines by VISUAL or EDITOR. Note that this can be a security hole since it allows the user to execute any program they wish simply by setting VISUAL or EDITOR. visudo parses the sudoers file after the edit and will not save the changes if there is a syntax error. Upon finding an error, visudo will print a message stating the line number(s) where the error occurred and the user will receive the "What now?" prompt. At this point the user may enter "e" to re-edit the sudoers file, "x" to exit without saving the changes, or "Q" to quit and save changes. The "Q" option should be used with extreme care because if visudo believes there to be a parse error, so will sudo and no one will be able to sudo again until the error is fixed. If "e" is typed to edit the sudoers file after a parse error has been detected, the cursor will be placed on the line where the error occurred (if the editor supports this feature). OPTIONS
visudo accepts the following command line options: -c Enable check-only mode. The existing sudoers file will be checked for syntax and a message will be printed to the standard output detailing the status of sudoers. If the syntax check completes successfully, visudo will exit with a value of 0. If a syntax error is encountered, visudo will exit with a value of 1. -f sudoers Specify and alternate sudoers file location. With this option visudo will edit (or check) the sudoers file of your choice, instead of the default, /etc/sudoers. The lock file used is the specified sudoers file with ".tmp" appended to it. -q Enable quiet mode. In this mode details about syntax errors are not printed. This option is only useful when combined with the -c option. -s Enable strict checking of the sudoers file. If an alias is used before it is defined, visudo will consider this a parse error. Note that it is not possible to differentiate between an alias and a hostname or username that consists solely of uppercase letters, digits, and the underscore ('_') character. -V The -V (version) option causes visudo to print its version number and exit. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables may be consulted depending on the value of the editor and env_editor sudoers variables: VISUAL Invoked by visudo as the editor to use EDITOR Used by visudo if VISUAL is not set FILES
/etc/sudoers List of who can run what /etc/sudoers.tmp Lock file for visudo DIAGNOSTICS
sudoers file busy, try again later. Someone else is currently editing the sudoers file. /etc/sudoers.tmp: Permission denied You didn't run visudo as root. Can't find you in the passwd database Your userid does not appear in the system passwd file. Warning: {User,Runas,Host,Cmnd}_Alias referenced but not defined Either you are trying to use an undeclare {User,Runas,Host,Cmnd}_Alias or you have a user or hostname listed that consists solely of uppercase letters, digits, and the underscore ('_') character. In the latter case, you can ignore the warnings (sudo will not complain). In -s (strict) mode these are errors, not warnings. Warning: unused {User,Runas,Host,Cmnd}_Alias The specified {User,Runas,Host,Cmnd}_Alias was defined but never used. You may wish to comment out or remove the unused alias. In -s (strict) mode this is an error, not a warning. SEE ALSO
vi(1), sudoers(5), sudo(8), vipw(8) AUTHOR
Many people have worked on sudo over the years; this version of visudo was written by: Todd Miller See the HISTORY file in the sudo distribution or visit http://www.sudo.ws/sudo/history.html for more details. CAVEATS
There is no easy way to prevent a user from gaining a root shell if the editor used by visudo allows shell escapes. BUGS
If you feel you have found a bug in visudo, please submit a bug report at http://www.sudo.ws/sudo/bugs/ SUPPORT
Limited free support is available via the sudo-users mailing list, see http://www.sudo.ws/mailman/listinfo/sudo-users to subscribe or search the archives. DISCLAIMER
visudo is provided ``AS IS'' and any express or implied warranties, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose are disclaimed. See the LICENSE file distributed with sudo or http://www.sudo.ws/sudo/license.html for complete details. 1.7.2p7 June 1, 2010 VISUDO(8)