Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sort all files in one folder
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Sort all files in one folder Post 303014565 by bakunin on Wednesday 14th of March 2018 06:35:46 PM
Old 03-14-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve
Could it be possible to sort all of files in a folder and add z- to the name of the sorted file?
Add a "z-" to the filename is easy:

Code:
#! /bin/csh

foreach FILE in (*)
     mv "$FILE" z-"$FILE"
end

For this:
Code:
AC-FOUR-136-ZEL2-ZECO-111
AC-SEVEN-56-ZEL4-ZECO-68
AC-NINE-994-ZEL3-ZECO-811
AC-ONE-4-ZEL1-ZECO-544

Forgive me for being a bit slow, but what should these be sorted for? Sorting alphabetically would yield:

Code:
AC-ONE-4-ZEL1-ZECO-544
AC-SEVEN-56-ZEL4-ZECO-68

or, sorting alphabetically for the part between the second and the third "-" would yield:

Code:
AC-ONE-4-ZEL1-ZECO-544
AC-SEVEN-56-ZEL4-ZECO-68

whereas sorting numerically for the same part would yield:

Code:
AC-ONE-4-ZEL1-ZECO-544
AC-SEVEN-56-ZEL4-ZECO-68

etc., etc.. So please tell us the sort criteria you want to apply.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Last edited by bakunin; 03-14-2018 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: only now noticed csh instead of std shell

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to sort the file in specified folder

hi im having soo many .top files and i have to sort a set of files in one folder like tat so many sets of folders have to be created ... like say i have the file name j1 , g2 ,s3,k4,h1,j2,k3,s4..And i have to create one folder in tat i to have copy the files j1, g2 ,s3,k4 in one folder and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: maximas
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Auto copy for files from folder to folder upon instant writing

Hello all, I'm trying to accomplish that if a file gets written to folder /path/to/a/ it gets automatically copied into /path/to/b/ the moment its get written. I thought of writing a shell script and cron it that every X amount of minutes it copies these files over but this will not help me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashar
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for Finding files in a folder and copying to another folder

Hi all, I have a folder '/samplefolder' in which i have some files like data0.txt, data1.txt and data2.txt. I have to search the folder for existence of the file data0.txt first and if found have to copy it to some other file; next i have to search the folder for existence of file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish2712
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

check how many files in folder or total files in folder

Hi all, I have copied all my files to one folder.and i want to check how many files (count) in the folder recently moved or total files in my folder? please send me the query asap. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: durgaprasad
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all text files in folder and then copy to a new folder

Hi all, *I use Uwin and Cygwin emulator. I´m trying to search for all text files in the current folder (C/Files) and its sub folders using find -depth -name "*.txt" The above command worked for me, but now I would like to copy all found text files to a new folder (C/Files/Text) with ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sort folder results

Here is the code, but the list is not sorted properly (alphabetically)? <?php function folderlist(){ $startdir = './'; $ignoredDirectory = '.'; $ignoredDirectory = '..'; if (is_dir($startdir)){ if ($dh = opendir($startdir)){ while (($folder = readdir($dh)) !== false){ if... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

URGENT!!! bash script to sort files into folder according to a string in the filename

Hi all. I am very new to linux scripting and i have a task i can only solve with a script. I need to sort files base on the date string in their filenames and create a folder using the same date string then move the files to their respective folders. Scenario: Folder Path:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ace47
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to sort files into folder according to a string in the filename

Hi all. I am very new to linux scripting and i have a task i can only solve with a script. I need to sort files base on the date string in their filenames and create a folder using the same date string then move the files to their respective folders. Scenario: Folder Path:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ace47
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting for moving folder specific files into target directory of that country folder.

I need help to write shell script to copy files from one server to another server. Source Directory UAE(inside i have another folder Misc with files inside UAE folder).I have to copy this to another server UAE folder( Files should be copied to UAE folder and Misc files should be copied in target... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naresh2389
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request for Shell script to move files from Subfolder to Parent folder and delete sub folder

Hi Team, I am new to shell script and there is a requirement where files should be moved from Subfolder to parent folder. Eg: parent folder --> /Interface/data/test/IN Sub folder -->/Interface/data/test/IN/Invoice20180607233338 Subfolder will be always with timestamp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivarun15
6 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)