Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux How to run commands with pipe from text file? Post 303014403 by adamlevine on Sunday 11th of March 2018 09:32:56 PM
Old 03-11-2018
How to run commands with pipe from text file?

Hello,

I have standard loop

Code:
while read -r info; do
command $info
done < info

in info text file I have multiple commands each on line that I want to execute. When I used them in console they worked, but not with this loop.

This is one of the commands in info file:
Code:
grep --line-buffered "title" dir/file.html | grep -Po '(?<=>)(.*)(?=<)'

It works with first grep, but not with second one. I found --line-buffered parameter, but didn't helped. Can somebody help me?
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags when displaying sample input, sample output, and code segments.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 03-11-2018 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: Add CODE and ICODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Wall, Write, select users, pipe a text file, HELP Before I'm Bald!

OK... I'm fairly new to unix having the admin handed to me on a platter w/almost no training. However, being a programmer, I do pick up things fairly easily, but this one is getting the best of me. I have a unix server that runs multiple versions of the same ERP system, hand crafted for our... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chimodel
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem working with Pipe Delimited Text file

Hello all: I have a following textfile data with name inst1.txt HDR|ABCD|10-13-2008 to 10-19-2008.txt|10-19-2008|XYZ DTL|H|5464-1|0|02-02-2008|02-03-2008||||F||||||||| DTL|D|5464-1|1|02-02-2008|02-03-2008|1||JJJ DTL|D|5464-1|2|02-02-2008|02-03-2008|1||JJJ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi0435
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing a field in pipe delimited TEXT File

Hi, I want to replace a field in a text delimited file with the actual number of records in the same file. HDR|ABCD|10-13-2008 to 10-19-2008.txt|10-19-2008|XYZ DTL|0|5464-1|0|02-02-2008|02-03-2008||||F||||||||| DTL|1|5464-1|1|02-02-2008|02-03-2008|1||JJJ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi0435
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe text from a file into an array

Hi Guys I have a question about filling up an array I have a file called USER_FILE.txt it contains the following: Real Name:Thomas A Username:THOMAS_A Real Name:Thomas B Username:THOMAS_B Real Name:Thomas C Username:THOMAS_C Real Name:Thomas D Username:THOMAS_D Real Name:Thomas E... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: grahambo2005
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to run multiple commands from a file.

I need a command, which could run mutliple commands from a file. Let's say, I have mv fileA1 fileB1 mv fileA2 fileB2 ..... mv fileA20 fileB20 I put these commands in a file, then I need a command to run the file as a whole so that I don't need to type 20 times... Anyone tell me how to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaixinsjtu
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

check for a file and run some commands

Hi all, Can you guys please help me with this... I am on AIX and need to prepare a script which will 1. check for a file named do_backup in the current file system 2. If the file exists i need to run some commands and exit, if the file doesn't exist then sleep for 15 mins and try... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: family_guy
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script to run the commands reading options from local file

I have to use shell script to run series of commands on another unix box by connecting through SSH and giving user credentials. For running commands on remote machine I have to use options reading from a local file. Process: Connecting to remote unix server <host1.ibm.com> through ssh Login: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsprout
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use pipe operator as simple character in text file?

Hello all, I have two files which are cmd and disk. `$cat cmd lsdev | grep -iw` `$cat disk hdisk2` Now I want to use the contents of both the files in a way such that `lsdev | grep -iw` command works for hdisk2 when I write the following script: `!#/bin/sh cmd1="$( sed -n... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi.trivedi
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl telnet to router run commands from file

I have a perl script that is called with a router name command list file and output file. The command file can be very large, up to 3k of commands. At first I dumped the command list file to an array and ran the entire file on the router and captured the output. It worked ok for a command list in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: numele
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh: run commands from pipe

I create commands within a pipe and finally want them to be executed instead of being displayed on the screen. What is the last stage in this pipe? I found by guessing that "ksh" is working, but is this the best to use here? It boils down to this: echo "print Hello World!"| kshWhat is the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cochise
15 Replies
Gtk2::RecentInfo(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       Gtk2::RecentInfo(3)

NAME
Gtk2::RecentInfo HIERARCHY
Glib::Boxed +----Gtk2::RecentInfo METHODS
timestamp = $info->get_added; timestamp = $info->get_modified; timestamp = $info->get_visited; cut integer = $info->get_age (exec, count, timestamp) = $info->get_application_info ($app_name) o $app_name (string) (applications) = $info->get_applications string = $info->get_description string = $info->get_display_name boolean = $info->exists (groups) = $info->get_groups boolean = $info->has_application ($app_name) o $app_name (string) boolean = $info->has_group ($group_name) o $group_name (string) pixbuf = $info->get_icon ($size) o $size (integer) boolean = $info->is_local string = $info->last_application boolean = $info->match ($other_info) o $other_info (Gtk2::RecentInfo) string = $info->get_mime_type unix timestamp = $info->get_modified boolean = $info->get_private_hint string = $info->get_short_name string = $info->get_uri_display string = $info->get_uri unix timestamp = $info->get_visited SEE ALSO
Gtk2, Glib::Boxed COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003-2008 by the gtk2-perl team. This software is licensed under the LGPL. See Gtk2 for a full notice. perl v5.12.1 2010-07-05 Gtk2::RecentInfo(3)