Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to provide root access via sudo with restrictions? Post 303014361 by RudiC on Saturday 10th of March 2018 08:10:31 AM
Old 03-10-2018
Methinks you have a syntax error in the Cmnd_Alias as the Cmnd_List should be comma delimited, but the actual reason for your "error" is that you're running the passwd command as root.
man su:
Quote:
Invoked without a username, su defaults to becoming the superuser.

Last edited by RudiC; 03-10-2018 at 10:19 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

how to access root priveliges if root password is lost

wish to know how to access root password it root password is forgotten in linux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wojtyla
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To provide restricted access to certain user's on linux box

Hi, I need to provide execute access to certain users and not to all users For ex: if ther is a file /home/august/aug.sh. and there are user's like jan,feb,mar,april,May and jan is the owner of that box. I need to provide execute access to feb and mar only. I also know the root pwd for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashok_oct22
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to allow access to some commands having root privleges to be run bu non root user

hi i am new to unix and i have abig task. i have to \run particular commands having root privileges from a non root user. i know sudo is one of the way but i need sum other approach kindly help Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryashikha
5 Replies

4. Linux

nix User Access Restrictions to Network, USB ports, PCMCIA, CDROM

How to create a user account on a Linux desktop machine with restrictions on connecting to the LAN, WAN, PCMCIA ports, Firewire, CDROM and generally any user controllable output options? I have the task to set up a machine for users working with sensitive data that should not be leaving the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: netfreighter
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sudo/root access

I'm actually working with a Ubuntu-System here and have a question about executing a command with 'sudo'. I tried and got a error message like "not allowed". After this I logged in with 'sudo -s' and typed the command without 'sudo'. This worked well. Can please somebody explain me this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: daWonderer
0 Replies

6. SuSE

Auditors want more security with root to root access via ssh keys

I access over 100 SUSE SLES servers as root from my admin server, via ssh sessions using ssh keys, so I don't have to enter a password. My SUSE Admin server is setup in the following manner: 1) Remote root access is turned off in the sshd_config file. 2) I am the only user of this admin... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvbell
6 Replies

7. Red Hat

Sudo to user other than root but do not allow sudo to root

I have a set of RHEL 5 boxes running our ERP software on Oracle databases. I need to allow my DBA's to su to oracle and one other account (banner) without knowing the oracle or banner password. But I need to prevent them from su'ing to any other user especially root. I only want them to be able to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: westmoreland
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to provide read access to root crontab?

Hi, Is there any safe method to provide read access to root's crontab to another user? Just read no other permissions. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ctrld
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Sudo access of rm to non-root user

Hello, It is Solaris-10. There is a file as /opt/vpp/dom1.2/pdd/today_23. It is always generated by root, so owned by root only. This file has to be deleted as part of application restart always and that is done by app_user and SA is always involved to do rm on that file. Is it possible to give... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
9 Replies
mtailrc(5)							   User Manuals 							mtailrc(5)

NAME
mtailrc - Configuration file for monkeytail DESCRIPTION
A monkeytail configuration uses Apache-style syntax to declare "groups" of files to be tailed. Best explained with an example: <group testgroup> prefix 'server2: ' sudo yes <file> filename /var/log/apache2/access.log prefix 'server1: ' host server1.example.com </file> <file> filename /var/log/apache2/access.log host server2.example.com sudo no </file> </group> OPTIONS
All options can be either put inside a group or file block. Options inside a file block override those in the group block. filename filename filename defines the filename for this block. host remote-host (optional) host defines that this block's file is to be tailed on a remote server. sudo yes|no|1|0 sudo is a boolean specifying whether this file should be tailed as root. This option is supported for both local and remote files (in both cases you will potentially be prompted for your password). prefix "string: " prefix allows you to specify a short string that will be prepended to every line that is displayed for that given file. FILES
~/.mtailrc - user specific monkeytail config SEE ALSO
mtail(1), tail(1) AUTHOR
Martyn Smith <martyn@dollyfish.net.nz> mtail May 2008 mtailrc(5)