Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Make awk gsub take value of for loop Post 303013660 by bedtime on Sunday 25th of February 2018 12:38:50 PM
Old 02-25-2018
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Removed duplicate / edited paragraphs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
Regexes enclosed in slashes /.../ are regex constants, i.e. taken verbatim / literally. So a won't be replaced by its contents but matches "a".
Try to build the regex from partial string constants and variable contents, like e.g.
Code:
gsub("level=\"" a "\" n=\"[0-9]\"", "")

Not sure, though, what your intentions are with the square brackets around the a variable. And, why not a taylored regex (with "alternation") in lieu of the loop across a .
Some decent input (good and bad, i.e. to be matched or not) samples would help to understand what you're after.
This was the code needed to make it work! Thank you!

The big issue was that it must match perfectly or it would mess up the printout by going past its point and overwriting other data. With the forums help Smilie, I got that fixed (after 6hrs of droning at the comp). Maybe there is a very simple way, but none of the other offered solutions have worked so far, though I did learn new things from them. Smilie

The square brackets were just a beginners mistake; I was trying to use them as some sort way of inputting a substitution. Smilie

If anyone is interested, a working solution is here. It's not the most efficient, but it works perfectly. If anyone wants all the code, just ask:
Code:
# Find 'sense id' number and store in a variable
{ /<sense id=\"n.*" level/; {vID = substr($2, 1, length($2)-1)}}

# Used for testing to see value:
# {print "vID: " vID}

# If matched then print section divider
{ for (vid = 0; vid <= 19; vid++){
    { for (vl = 0; vl <= 3; vl++){
        { for (vn = 0; vn <=25; vn++){

{if (vn<=10) {vnx=vn    } }
            {if (vn==11) {vnx="I"    } }
            {if (vn==12) {vnx="II"    } }
            {if (vn==13) {vnx="III"    } }
            {if (vn==14) {vnx="IV"    } }
            {if (vn==15) {vnx="IV."    } }
            {if (vn==16) {vnx="V"    } }
            {if (vn==17) {vnx="V."  } }
            {if (vn==18) {vnx="A"  } }
            {if (vn==19) {vnx="B"  } }
            {if (vn==20) {vnx="C"  } }
            {if (vn==21) {vnx="D"  } }
            {if (vn==22) {vnx="E"  } }
            {if (vn==23) {vnx="F"  } }
            {if (vn==24) {vnx="G"  } }
            {if (vn==25) {vnx="H"  } }

# Used for testing to see values:
            # valuev="<sense " vID "." vid "\" level=\"" vl "\" n=\"" vnx "\" opt=\"n\">"; print valuev "\n"
            # {gsub("<sense " vID "." vid "\" level=\"" vl "\" n=\"" vnx "\" opt=\"n\">", vdefSep)}

# Everything is ready, so try to make a match!
            {gsub("<sense " vID "." vid "\" level=\"" vl "\" n=\"" vnx "\" opt=\"n\">", vdefSep)}

}}
    }}
}}

# A sampe of what I'm trying to match:
#
# <sense id="n1.0" level="0" n="0" opt="n">
# <sense id="n1.1" level="1" n="I" opt="n">
# <sense id="n1.2" level="2" n="A" opt="n">
# <sense id="n1.3" level="2" n="B" opt="n">
# <sense id="n1.4" level="3" n="1" opt="n">
# <sense id="n1.5" level="3" n="2" opt="n">
# <sense id="n1.6" level="1" n="II" opt="n">
# <sense id="n1.7" level="2" n="A" opt="n">
# <sense id="n1.8" level="3" n="1" opt="n">
# <sense id="n1.9" level="3" n="2" opt="n">
# <sense id="n1.10" level="2" n="B" opt="n">
# <sense id="n1.11" level="3" n="1" opt="n">
# <sense id="n1.12" level="3" n="2" opt="n">
# <sense id="n1.12" level="3" n="2" opt="n">
# <sense id="n1.13" level="3" n="3" opt="n">

Basically, it goes through every single possibility that exists. There must be a better way. Smilie

Last edited by RudiC; 02-25-2018 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: Removed duplicated / edited paragraphs[

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

use var in gsub of awk

Hi all, This problem has cost me half a day, and i still do not know how to do. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks advance. I want to use a variable as the first parameters of gsub function of awk. Example: { ... arri]=gsub(i,tolower(i),$1) (which should be ambraced by //) ... } (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: summer_cherry
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with AWK and gsub

Hello, I have a variable that displays the following results from a JVM.... 1602100K->1578435K I would like to collect the value of 1578435 which is the value after a garbage collection. I've tried the following command but it looks like I can't get the > to work. Any suggestions as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: npolite
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk gsub

Hi all I want to do a simple substitution in awk but I am getting unexpected output. My function accepts a time and then prints out a validation message if the time is valid. However some times may include a : and i want to strip this out if it exists before i get to the validation. I have shown... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxy2d1
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Gsub Query

Hi, Can some one please explain the following line please throw some light on the ones marked in red awk '{print $9}' ${FTP_LOG} | awk -v start=${START_DATE} 'BEGIN { FS = "." } { old_line1=$0; gsub(/\-/,""); if ( $3 >= start ) print old_line1 }' | awk -v end=${END_DATE} 'BEGIN { FS="." } {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crosairs
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk gsub error.

I want to replace comma with space and "*646#" with space. I am using the following code: nawk -F"|" '{gsub(","," ",$3); gsub(/\*646\#/"," ",$3);print}' OFS="|" file I am getting following error: Help is appreciated (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk gsub with variables?

Hey, I would like to replace a string by a new one. Teh problem is that both strings should be variables to be flexible, because I am having a lot of files (with the same structure, but in different folders) for i in daysim_* do cd $i/5/ folder=`pwd |awk '{print $1}'` awk '{ if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ergy1983
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk; gsub in fields 3 and 4

I want to transform a log file into input for a database. Here's the log file: Tue Aug 4 20:17:01 PDT 2009 Wireless users: 339 Daily Average: 48.4285 = Tue Aug 11 20:17:01 PDT 2009 Wireless users: 295 Daily Average: 42.1428 = Tue Aug 18 20:17:01 PDT 2009 Wireless users: 294 Daily... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bubnoff
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk gsub

Hi, I want to print the first column with original value and without any double quotes The output should look like <original column>|<column without quotes> $ cat a.txt "20121023","19301229712","100397" "20121023","19361629712","100778" "20121030A","19361630412","100838"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk gsub with variables

Hello, I'm trying to substitute a string with leading zero for all the records except the trailer record using awk command and with variables. The input file test_med1.txt has data like below 1234ABC...........................9200............LF... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: somu_june
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using multiple gsub() function under a loop in awk

Hi ALL, I want to replace string occurrence in my file "Config" using a external file named "Mapping" using awk. $cat Config ! Configuration file for RAVI ! Configuration file for RACHANA ! Configuration file for BALLU $cat Mapping ravi:ram rachana:shyam ballu:hameed The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: useless79
5 Replies