Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backing up root disks
Operating Systems Solaris Backing up root disks Post 303012983 by fretagi on Tuesday 13th of February 2018 09:27:57 AM
Old 02-13-2018
Backing up root disks

Hi !

I wonder if in solaris 10 there is a utility similar to ignite in HP-UX that backup entire file systems (/, /usr, /var, /tmp, /home).
I have to backup only the root disk of a server, but ufsdump seem to be backing up individual file systems....only, am I correct?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backing up

Ok I'm trying to backup a HD using ufsdump but no matter what I do it rewinds the tape after the dump. Now the tape isn't full (only 285mb) and I still have 6 more partitions I want to put on this tape. How can I stop the tape from rewinding because I can't think of anything. Also is there any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: merlin
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run non-root script as root with non-root environment

All, I want to run a non-root script as the root user with non-root environment variables with crontab. The non-root user would have environment variables for database access such as Oracle or Sybase. The root user does not have the Oracle or Sybase enviroment variables. I thought you could do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Backing up the system

Hello Mentors, Before anything else I would like to thanks to all expert here especially Pressy as he guided me to recover our server from disk failure. I posted a lot of question from these forum site concerning on how to recover our server and luckly you guys help me. Our server is now up and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eykyn17
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Non-Root mode ... luxadm to show path(s) for Disks

Hi Gurus out there... I am pondering over a situation where I have non-root access (user account), where I am trying to determine paths (including multipaths) on a host. "luxadm display" seems very appropriate, but requires root access. Is there anyway I can get the FC path information? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: verisund
1 Replies

5. AIX

what am i backing up

we are running aix on are server. we would like to start doing online backups, but the software company that we use is not beeing much help on what files we are backing up. is there a command that will tell me what files that we are backing up. they offer a service that would back it up for use,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shane.hankins
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Disk mismatch while trying to zfs mirroring non-root disks

Hello All, I am trying to mirror two non-root hard drives using zfs. But "fmthard" fails when I try to copy the vtoc due to disk mismatch. Please help me. --- iostat command shows the disk to be similiar --- format command shows disk to be different :confused: --- c1t2d0 is the active... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingmeback
8 Replies

7. Solaris

Mirorr Solaris 10 5/09 root disks at install time

I'm going to install a fresh Solaris 10 5/09 install on a UFS on a server with 2 disks attached to a SCSI controller and i want to mirror those disks at install time is there any to do this , As far as i know Jump start and live upgrade are the sole way to do this , is there anyways except... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Get # of disks as non-root

I'm trying to figure if there are commands I can run as non-root/non-privileged users to figure out the number of disks. I know I can use format but it needs root. Any idea? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: PPPP
10 Replies

9. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Backup root disks

Hi all! Please I would appreciate some inputs on the following: I have inherited a SUN BLADE chassis with 6 T6320 server modules, in which there is only 1 root disk in all of them. I need to do a backup of the root disk in case those disk crash. But there is no backup device attached to it.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
6 Replies
nisbackup(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     nisbackup(1M)

NAME
nisbackup - backup NIS+ directories SYNOPSIS
nisbackup [-v] backup-dir directory... nisbackup [-v] -a backup-dir DESCRIPTION
nisbackup backs up a NIS+ directory object on a NIS+ master server. Updates to the NIS+ database will be temporarily disabled while nis- backup is running. The backup-dir is a UNIX directory that must exist prior to running nisbackup. The nisbackup command can be used to backup an individual NIS+ directory object or all ( -a) of the NIS+ directory objects served by a master server. The NIS+ directory objects being backed up will be placed into subdirectories under the backup-dir directory. These subdirectories are named according to the NIS+ directory object they contain. nisbackup operates on individual NIS+ directory objects (for example, org_dir.wiz.com). This allows an administrator to selectively backup specific directories. The rpc.nisd(1M) process must be running on the master server with a stable NIS+ database for nisbackup to complete. nisbackup will not attempt to correct any corruption in the NIS+ database, so it is important that backups be done regularly as part of the NIS+ administra- tion. The first synopsis is used to backup a single NIS+ directory object or a list of NIS+ directory objects. The objects can be partially qual- ified or fully qualified. The machine on which the command is executing must be the master for the NIS+ directory objects specified. The second synopsis will backup all of the NIS+ directory objects that are served by this master. The -a option is the recommended method of backing up a master server, since it will backup all NIS+ directory objects that are served by this master. If this server is a master server for more than one domain, the backup will include NIS+ directories that belong to all of the domains served. Individual NIS+ direc- tory objects can be selected for restoring from a backup-dir created with the -a option. See nisrestore(1M). The -a option only includes directory objects for which this server is the master. It is possible, but not recommended, to configure a master server as a replica for other domains. The objects belonging to those replicated domains will not be backed up with the -a option. The backup of replicated objects must be run on the master server for those objects. Do not use the same backup-dir to backup different master servers. Each master server must have its own backup-dir. nisbackup will set the rpc.nisd(1M) to read only mode, which will disable updates to the NIS+ database. This is neccessary to ensure the consistency of the backup. For this reason, nisbackup should not be run while large numbers of updates are being applied to the NIS+ data- base. Update utilities such as nisaddent(1M) should not be run simultaneously with nisbackup. OPTIONS
-a Creates a backup of all NIS+ directory objects for which this server is a master. -v Verbose option. Additional output will be produced and sent to syslog(3C) upon execution of the command (see syslog.conf(4)). OPERANDS
backup-dir The directory into which the subdirectories containing the backed up objects are placed. This must be created prior to running nisbackup. directory The NIS+ directory object(s) being backed up. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Backup of the org_dir NIS+ directory object of the domain foo.com on a master server to a directory named /backup To backup the org_dir NIS+ directory object of the domain foo.com on a master server to a directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup /backup org_dir.foo.com. Example 2: Backup of the entire NIS+ domain foo.com to a directory named /backup To backup the entire NIS+ domain foo.com to a directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup /backup foo.com. org_dir.foo.com. groups_dir.foo.com. ctx_dir.foo.com. Example 3: Backup of an entire NIS+ database to a backup directory named /backup To backup an entire NIS+ database to a backup directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup -a /backup EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. FILES
/backup-dir/backup_list This ascii file contains a list of all the objects contained in this backup-dir directory. /backup-dir/directory-object A subdirectory that is created in the backup-dir that contains the NIS+ directory-object backup. /backup-dir/directory-object/data A subdirectory that contains the data files that are part of the NIS+ directory-object backup. /backup-dir/directory-object/last.upd This data file contains timestamp information about the directory-object. /backup-dir/directory-object/data.dict A NIS+ data dictionary for all of the objects contained in the NIS+ directory-object backup. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), nisdefaults(1), nisrm(1), nisrestore(1M), rpc.nisd(1M), syslog(3C), nisfiles(4), syslog.conf(4), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 2001 nisbackup(1M)