Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to restore from disk?
Operating Systems HP-UX How to restore from disk? Post 303012657 by Peasant on Wednesday 7th of February 2018 10:49:27 AM
Old 02-07-2018
I haven't used those commands, just to say upfront.

But when i opened the manual, HP suggested that pax should be used instead for archiving purpose.

With pax, stuff should be fairly obvious, if you run into issues or question about it, feel free to post the code you tried here to get some help.

There are also a lot of examples on this forums involving pax

As for fbackup, nothing is stopping you to experiment a bit, doesn't it Smilie

Hope that clears things out
Regards
Peasant.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Restore to disk from tape

I have been restoring from tape some old data. I have done quite a few tapes and have had no problems until now. The command I am running is "dd if=/dev/rmt/1hbn bs=1024 | tar -pBxF - ". This is the second tape have have come up with the error "Not enough space". This tape has a couple of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mtoombs
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to restore a dump file on the disk

Hi all, i am a real dummy to unix and in need of help.My platform is Sun solaris(5.9) I have a dump file, an oracle cold backup taken with ufsdump command. This dump file resides on the disk, not the tape. I want to extract this dump file to a directory. But i cant, i read about ufsrestore... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: merope
1 Replies

3. Solaris

after ZFS can not restore VTOC of disk..

I tried to use zfs .. only for test ..so when I take my test disks into zfs pool their VTOC changed .. and 7th slice does not appear now. How can I restore default VTOC to my disks. my machine is x86 .. SunFire X4200 .. so this disks do not have slices like sparc machines .. they have... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: samar
6 Replies

4. AIX

mksysb restore - Wrong OS level for restore

Hi all, I am still working on my mksysb restore. My latest issue is during an alt_disk_install from tape I got the following error after all the data had been restored. 0505-143 alt_disk_install: Unable to match mksysb level 5.2.0 with any available boot images. Please correct this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pobman
0 Replies

5. AIX

Dd of disk contains vg and restore on another m/c

Hello gurus, I have a requirement of backup of a vg containing a file system. vg1 contains 3 LV each of 50G size. They are coming out from ~350G harddisk. and only 150G is being used. Now, i want to dd this hdisk and restore to another machine. I am not sure how to go about this. Can some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhishekdave
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LVM - restore metadata on other disk

Hi guys, I would like to ask your opinion about my theory, how to fix my broken LVM without risking any data loss. I use Archlinux at home. I just love this distro, even it gives me a lots of work (particularly after system updates). Basic system spec: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lyynxxx
1 Replies
ARCHIVE_WRITE_FORMAT(3) 				   BSD Library Functions Manual 				   ARCHIVE_WRITE_FORMAT(3)

NAME
archive_write_set_format_cpio, archive_write_set_format_pax, archive_write_set_format_pax_restricted, archive_write_set_format_shar, archive_write_set_format_shar_dump, archive_write_set_format_ustar -- functions for creating archives LIBRARY
Streaming Archive Library (libarchive, -larchive) SYNOPSIS
#include <archive.h> int archive_write_set_format_cpio(struct archive *); int archive_write_set_format_pax(struct archive *); int archive_write_set_format_pax_restricted(struct archive *); int archive_write_set_format_shar(struct archive *); int archive_write_set_format_shar_dump(struct archive *); int archive_write_set_format_ustar(struct archive *); DESCRIPTION
These functions set the format that will be used for the archive. The library can write POSIX octet-oriented cpio format archives, POSIX-standard ``pax interchange'' format archives, traditional ``shar'' ar- chives, enhanced ``dump'' shar archives that store a variety of file attributes and handle binary files, and POSIX-standard ``ustar'' ar- chives. The pax interchange format is a backwards-compatible tar format that adds key/value attributes to each entry and supports arbitrary filenames, linknames, uids, sizes, etc. ``Restricted pax interchange format'' is the library default; this is the same as pax format, but suppresses the pax extended header for most normal files. In most cases, this will result in ordinary ustar archives. RETURN VALUES
These functions return ARCHIVE_OK on success, or ARCHIVE_FATAL. ERRORS
Detailed error codes and textual descriptions are available from the archive_errno() and archive_error_string() functions. SEE ALSO
tar(1), libarchive(3), archive_write(3), archive_write_set_options(3), cpio(5), mtree(5), tar(5) BSD
February 2, 2012 BSD