Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers To remove double quotes from specific columns Post 303012170 by Krishnanth S on Wednesday 31st of January 2018 04:59:35 AM
Old 01-31-2018
To remove double quotes from specific columns

Hi,

I've a requirement like, in a csv file of 30+ fields where all the columns are having double quotes I need to remove the double quotes from certain fields and certain field should remain as it is.

Eg:
Code:
"event_log_id","event_id","event_name","event_time","insertion_time","event_args","src_mac","src_name","src_util_id","src_device_type","src_event_count","src_admin_state","src_ops_state","src_location_util_id","src_location_type","src_service_pt_util_id","src_service_pt_type","src_addr_line1","src_addr_line2"

I need to remove double quotes from 5th 6th 9th 10th & 14th columns. How this can be achieved.

I've used command
Code:
sed 's/\"//g'

. But its removing all the double quotes in the file.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 01-31-2018 at 06:24 AM.. Reason: Added CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove double quotes

A Triva question. What is the easy way to remove the double quotes in the file in the following format. "asdfa","fdgh","qwer" tr -d '\"' <filename >newfilename mv newfilename oldfilename This need to be handled in a script. Any better way to do this. Will sed be more effecient? One... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a character which is enclosed in Double quotes

I want to remove the comma which is present within the double quoted string. All other commas which is present outside double quotes should be present. Input : a,b,"cc,dd,ee",f,ii,"jj,kk",mmm output : a,b,"ccddee",f,ii,"jjkk",mmm (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan_tuty
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace value with double quotes of specific coulmn value in csv file

Hi, I am trying to replace a specific column values in a csv file with double quotes. Example: SNO,NAME,ZIPCODE,RANK 1,Robert,74538,12 2,Sam,07564,13 3,Kim, Ed,12345,14 Desired Output: SNO,NAME,ZIPCODE,RANK 1,Robert Ken,74538,12 2,Sam Mik,"07564",13 3,"Kim, Ed",12345,14 I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To append two columns without double quotes

Hi i have a file with follw data "20090427","0","","16371311","-100200","","","","16371311","JUL","09" In the 10th column i need to convert the month name into month number in this case JUL will be 7 and append the 10th and 11th column which shows me the output as 709. Can you suggest a shell... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vee789
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove two delimiters, space and double quotes

I would like to know how to replace a space delimiter with a ^_ (\037) delimiter and a double quote delimiter while maintaining the spaces inside the double quotes. The double quote delimiter is only used on text fields. I'd prefer a one-liner, but could handle a function or script that accepts... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SteveDWin
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to remove double quotes

Hi, I am little new to forum and new on unix side. I have a small issue below: I am reading a file that has 5 columns something like below. col1,col2,col3,col4,col5 Some records are having double quoted values something like below: "value1","value2","value3","value4","value5" I need... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saanvi1
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Double quotes within double quotes in a column with space while loading a CSV file

Hi All, I'm unable to load the data using sql loader where there are double quotes within the double quotes As these are optionally enclosed by double quotes. Sample Data : "221100",138.00,"D","0019/1477","44012075","49938","49938/15043000","Television - 22" Refurbished - Airwave","Supply... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlavanya
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove pipe(|) symbol in except the ones which are enclosed in double quotes

I have file with are delimited by pipe(|) symbol, I wanted those to be removed except the ones which are enclosed in double quotes. If your quote file is: |Life is |Beautiful"|"Indeed life |is beautiful too|"|"But unix is fun| is not"|" It should return: Life is Beautiful"|"Indeed life is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sathyapts
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract multiple columns base on double quotes as delimiter

Hi All, I have my data like below "1","abc,db","hac,aron","4","5" Now I need to extract 1,2,4th columns Output should be like "1",abc,db","4" Am trying to use cut command but not able to get the results. Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: weknowd
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace double quotes inside the string data for all the columns

Please use code tags Hi, I have input data is below format and n of column in the multiple flat files. the string data has any double quotes(") values replaced to double double quotes for all the columns{""). Also, my input flat file each column string data has carriage of new line too.... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: SSrini
14 Replies
ap(8)							      System Manager's Manual							     ap(8)

NAME
ap - Parses addresses RFC 822-style SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mh/ap [-form file] [-format string] [-help] [-[no]normalize] [-width columns] addrs... OPTIONS
Overrides the default output format of ap. The output is formatted according to the instructions in the specified file. This must be a format file; see mh-format(4). Overrides the default output format of ap. The output is formatted according to the instructions in the specified string. This must be a format string; see mh-format(4). The argument to the -format option must be interpreted as a single token by the shell that invokes ap. Therefore, you should usually place the argument to this option inside double quotes ("). Prints a list of the valid options to this command. The -normalize option tells ap to try to find the official host name of the address. This is the default behavior, which can be suppressed using the -nonormalize option. Specifies the width of the screen in columns. DESCRIPTION
The ap program parses addresses according to the ARPA Internet standard. It also understands many nonstandard formats. It is useful for seeing how MH will interpret an address. The ap program treats each argument as one or more addresses, and prints those addresses in the official RFC 822 format. Hence, it is usu- ally best to enclose each argument in double quotes (") for the shell. In addition to the standard escapes, ap also recognizes the additional escape error, which is a diagnostic that is returned if the parsing operation failed. The default settings for the ap command are -normalize and -width columns, where columns is equal to the the width of the terminal. RESTRICTIONS
On systems where MH is configured with the BERK option, address parsing is not enabled. EXAMPLES
This is the default format string used by ap: %<{error}%{error}: %{text}%|%(proper{text})%> If an error was detected, the preceding string instructs ap to print the error, a colon (:), and the address that is in error. Otherwise, the ap command output is the proper RFC 822 format of the address. FILES
User profile. System customization file. SEE ALSO
Commands: dp(8) Files: mh-format(4) Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages (RFC 822) ap(8)