Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Best performance UNIX just for HOST Virtualization? Post 303011906 by drysdalk on Thursday 25th of January 2018 09:44:51 AM
Old 01-25-2018
Hi,

I think OpenVZ 7 (the latest release) does support Windows, though only running in a KVM VM and not in a container. OpenVZ 7 added the option to create VMs that was previously only available in Virtuozzo, and so you can create containers for Linux guests and VMs for all non-Linux guests on OpenVZ 7 (or you should be able to at least, according to the documentation I can see). So if you're familiar with OpenVZ, then OpenVZ 7 is probably the best way to go, since you can use both containers and full-blown real VMs on the same host.

However, if the issue here is that you are actually wanting to make day-to-day use of your own PC whilst being able to run containers and VMs on it (which I think might be what your comments about SmartOS imply), then your options are a bit more limited. Things like OpenVZ/SmartOS/ESX are meant to run on a dedicated server that does nothing but host containers and VMs. You then connect remotely to those containers and VMs to use them in whatever way you see fit (SSH, rdesktop, etc), and can also connect remotely to the hardware node to manage it.

If you're looking to be setting up VMs or containers on your own PC, then running a normal desktop-oriented Linux distro locally and using KVM/QEMU to run VMs on it might be a good way forward. Similarly you could run Windows 10 or Windows Server locally and add the Hyper-V role, and create VMs that way whilst still having a usable "real" desktop OS too. Or just use VirtualBox or something like that if your needs are simpler.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

ILOM to unix host

Hello- On Solaris 10g x86 - I had two IP addresses , one for unix host (connecting through putty) and one for ILOM (connecting through CLI and web). I had to perform some changes in FS sizes etc, did that on unix host and executed command 'init 6' remotely for them to take place. But, the unix host... (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
30 Replies

2. Red Hat

Red Hat and Intel: Smart processors, virtualization boost efficiency and performance

On Monday March 30, Intel announced the availability of their much anticipated new line of processors, the Intel® Xeon® Processor 5500 series–nicknamed Nehalem. Red Hat, a long-time partner of the market-leading chip maker , collaborated on the chip’s debut, testing and optimizing the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Virtualization of Global Namespace in UNIX

Hi all, I have a small Question here in Unix File System.I am unable to get a proper answer in Internet. Hope someone can get back to me soon. A Unix file system can mount filesystem of several disk partitions to form a single global space. Suppose that you wish to virtualize this global... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pavan Kumar
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Virt-install: ERROR Host does not support any virtualization

Hello guys! First of all sorry about my english. I am using KVM to virtualizate. But when i run the virt-install command, it shows the next error: ERROR Host does not support any virtualization options.My server had virtualisation extensions enabled in the bios. It is my first time using... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: morrison71
7 Replies
CURLOPT_CONNECT_TO(3)					     curl_easy_setopt options					     CURLOPT_CONNECT_TO(3)

NAME
CURLOPT_CONNECT_TO - Connect to a specific host and port instead of the URL's host and port SYNOPSIS
#include <curl/curl.h> CURLcode curl_easy_setopt(CURL *handle, CURLOPT_CONNECT_TO, struct curl_slist *connect_to); DESCRIPTION
Pass a pointer to a linked list of strings with "connect to" information to use for establishing network connections with this handle. The linked list should be a fully valid list of struct curl_slist structs properly filled in. Use curl_slist_append(3) to create the list and curl_slist_free_all(3) to clean up an entire list. Each single string should be written using the format HOST:PORT:CONNECT-TO-HOST:CONNECT-TO-PORT where HOST is the host of the request, PORT is the port of the request, CONNECT-TO-HOST is the host name to connect to, and CONNECT-TO-PORT is the port to connect to. The first string that matches the request's host and port is used. Dotted numerical IP addresses are supported for HOST and CONNECT-TO-HOST. A numerical IPv6 address must be written within [brackets]. Any of the four values may be empty. When the HOST or PORT is empty, the host or port will always match (the request's host or port is ignored). When CONNECT-TO-HOST or CONNECT-TO-PORT is empty, the "connect to" feature will be disabled for the host or port, and the request's host or port will be used to establish the network connection. This option is suitable to direct the request at a specific server, e.g. at a specific cluster node in a cluster of servers. The "connect to" host and port are only used to establish the network connection. They do NOT affect the host and port that are used for TLS/SSL (e.g. SNI, certificate verification) or for the application protocols. In contrast to CURLOPT_RESOLVE(3), the option CURLOPT_CONNECT_TO(3) does not pre-populate the DNS cache and therefore it does not affect future transfers of other easy handles that have been added to the same multi handle. The "connect to" host and port are ignored if they are equal to the host and the port in the request URL, because connecting to the host and the port in the request URL is the default behavior. If an HTTP proxy is used for a request having a special "connect to" host or port, and the "connect to" host or port differs from the requests's host and port, the HTTP proxy is automatically switched to tunnel mode for this specific request. This is necessary because it is not possible to connect to a specific host or port in normal (non-tunnel) mode. When this option is passed to curl_easy_setopt(3), libcurl will not copy the entire list so you must keep it around until you no longer use this handle for a transfer before you call curl_slist_free_all(3) on the list. DEFAULT
NULL PROTOCOLS
All EXAMPLE
CURL *curl; struct curl_slist *connect_to = NULL; connect_to = curl_slist_append(NULL, "example.com::server1.example.com:"); curl = curl_easy_init(); if(curl) { curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_CONNECT_TO, connect_to); curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_URL, "http://example.com"); curl_easy_perform(curl); /* always cleanup */ curl_easy_cleanup(curl); } curl_slist_free_all(connect_to); AVAILABILITY
Added in 7.49.0 RETURN VALUE
Returns CURLE_OK if the option is supported, and CURLE_UNKNOWN_OPTION if not. SEE ALSO
CURLOPT_URL(3), CURLOPT_RESOLVE(3), CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION(3), CURLOPT_HTTPPROXYTUNNEL(3), libcurl 7.54.0 May 20, 2016 CURLOPT_CONNECT_TO(3)