Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Best performance UNIX just for HOST Virtualization? Post 303011872 by drysdalk on Wednesday 24th of January 2018 05:25:42 PM
Old 01-24-2018
Hi,

That's a very open-ended question without a clear answer. As always, it depends almost entirely on what exactly you're going to be doing, on your workload, on the OS your guests will be running, and a wide variety of other things.

For my part, speaking purely personally, I've found OpenVZ to offer excellent performance. It's a Linux-based container environment, where the host runs a modified kernel and the containers on the host depend on and inherit an instance of that modified kernel as their own. They therefore must be running Linux, but can be running a different Linux distribution from the host.

The very latest versions of OpenVZ allow for fully-isolated virtual machines, and so support running Windows guests too. Historically, it's been Linux-only however, with a separate and mostly architecturally unrelated Windows offering that's since been discontinued. There is a commercially supported version called Virtuozzo that comes with nice GUI management tools, with OpenVZ being the free and unsupported version. If you're familiar with Linux, think OpenVZ==CentOS and Virtuozzo==RHEL and you basically get the relationship between the two.

One thing I'm curious about: I'd been thinking about looking at SmartOS for some things myself. What do you mean when you say you need a remote OS for it ? As far as I understood things it's basically SunOS underneath, and boots off of a USB key and thereafter offers local utilities to download, install and manage images. External management systems like Chef, Puppet etc. are compatible with it, but are optional, as I understand things anyway.
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to drysdalk For This Post:

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

ILOM to unix host

Hello- On Solaris 10g x86 - I had two IP addresses , one for unix host (connecting through putty) and one for ILOM (connecting through CLI and web). I had to perform some changes in FS sizes etc, did that on unix host and executed command 'init 6' remotely for them to take place. But, the unix host... (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
30 Replies

2. Red Hat

Red Hat and Intel: Smart processors, virtualization boost efficiency and performance

On Monday March 30, Intel announced the availability of their much anticipated new line of processors, the Intel® Xeon® Processor 5500 series–nicknamed Nehalem. Red Hat, a long-time partner of the market-leading chip maker , collaborated on the chip’s debut, testing and optimizing the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Virtualization of Global Namespace in UNIX

Hi all, I have a small Question here in Unix File System.I am unable to get a proper answer in Internet. Hope someone can get back to me soon. A Unix file system can mount filesystem of several disk partitions to form a single global space. Suppose that you wish to virtualize this global... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pavan Kumar
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Virt-install: ERROR Host does not support any virtualization

Hello guys! First of all sorry about my english. I am using KVM to virtualizate. But when i run the virt-install command, it shows the next error: ERROR Host does not support any virtualization options.My server had virtualisation extensions enabled in the bios. It is my first time using... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: morrison71
7 Replies
GET TPM PCR 
HASH(8) GET TPM PCR HASH(8) NAME
tpm_getpcrhash SYNOPSIS
tpm_getpcrhash [-r HOST] [-hv] UUID-FILE HASH-FILE PCR-VALUE-FILE PCRS DESCRIPTION
The program returns the signed data produced by a TPM quote in the file HASH-FILE and the list of Platform Configuration Register values in the file PCR-VALUE-FILE. PCRS is a sequence of integers that specify the Platform Configuration Registers used to produce the signed data. The key used for the operation is the one registered under the UUID in UUID-FILE. The nonce used while quoting is unpredictable. The nonce field in the signed data is ignored when using the signed data to verify a quote. -r HOST Perform operation on remote HOST. -h Display command usage info. -v Display command version info. SEE ALSO
tpm_quote_tools(8), tpm_loadkey(8), tpm_getquote(8), tpm_verifyquote(8), tpm_updateprchash(8) Oct 2010 GET TPM PCR HASH(8)